PDA

View Full Version : Christian Cussing!

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 12:26 PM
OBEY! There is a new Christian four letter word that brings about the same result when uttered if I used most any other four letter expletive out there!

WORK! Uh oh... Someone wants to wash my mouth out with soap!!! I can tell!

ENDURE! Oh my goodness! What a filthy mouth!

STOP SINNING! :eek: MAKE HIM SHUT UP!!!!!

Goodness gracious... core teachings of the gospels and epistles and you'd honestly think folks count it as cursing. Don't be afraid of those words folks... they are all throughout the Scripture and we've just gotta deal with that fact.

militarywife
Mar 27th 2008, 12:44 PM
Your right.

Obey has become a four letter word. HOW SAD.

karenoka27
Mar 27th 2008, 12:52 PM
"Trust" is another one I thought of. So many today can only think to trust in themselves..and yes, I'm speaking of Christians.

militarywife
Mar 27th 2008, 01:04 PM
Worship is also.

Worship in spirit and in truth is something to be explored as well.

Partaker of Christ
Mar 27th 2008, 01:08 PM
OBEY! There is a new Christian four letter word that brings about the same result when uttered if I used most any other four letter expletive out there!

Goodness gracious... core teachings of the gospels and epistles and you'd honestly think folks count it as cursing. Don't be afraid of those words folks... they are all throughout the Scripture and we've just gotta deal with that fact.

Since when has it been a 'NEW' four letter word?

Slug1
Mar 27th 2008, 01:16 PM
SURRENDER can be on the cuss list also :P

Theophilus
Mar 27th 2008, 01:49 PM
Humble Yourself!

;)

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 01:53 PM
Since when has it been a 'NEW' four letter word?Look at the reactions those words draw from folk. Seems to upset an awful lot of people when those words get used!

HisLeast
Mar 27th 2008, 01:53 PM

:huh: (15 characters n' stuff)

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 01:56 PM
SURRENDER can be on the cuss list also :P
I need to start a thread on that word... it isn't used enough any more sure enough.

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 01:57 PM
:huh: (15 characters n' stuff)
If you don't get it... I'm honestly not sure I can explain it to you so you will! :lol:

Slug1
Mar 27th 2008, 02:15 PM
When a Christian talks to a non-Cristian on the streets or at work, in a store... just say Hi, start talking and then turn the conversation to disscussing God... and use the words listed...

It's as if you flipped them the bird (can I say that ;)) or CUSSED them out.

HisLeast
Mar 27th 2008, 02:17 PM
When a Christian talks to a non-Cristian on the streets or at work, in a store... just say Hi, start talking and then turn the conversation to disscussing God... and use the words listed...

I thought the post was directed at us, not at unbelievers.

Slug1
Mar 27th 2008, 02:19 PM
I thought the post was directed at us, not at unbelievers.Actually I've had Christians react in a negative way also when I talk with them and their flesh rebels with conviction... so yeah, Christian's can take these words as cuss words also.

For some reason this conviction has a fleshy reaction and is rebelled against with the term... judgement, when in reality it's correction from God and is usually through another Christian.

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 02:29 PM

Actually I've had Christians react in a negative way also when I talk with them and their flesh rebels with conviction... so yeah, Christian's can take these words as cuss words also.

For some reason this conviction has a fleshy reaction and is rebelled against with the term... judgement, when in reality it's correction from God and is usually through another Christian.It was directed at Christians. The world is the world and react how they do... tis what they do. What is interesting to me is how it is that the church reacts now days to those words. Tis amazing in many ways.

Jollyrogers
Mar 27th 2008, 02:40 PM
I think you could add The Great Commision to this somehow also. At least judging by how many people actually go out and try to make diciples of men rather than just sit quietly and try to hide Jesus. We are suspose to be in the world but not of the world. It means that when we go by someone lost, they should immediately recognise that something is diferent about us.

Slug1
Mar 27th 2008, 02:46 PM
It was directed at Christians. The world is the world and react how they do... tis what they do. What is interesting to me is how it is that the church reacts now days to those words. Tis amazing in many ways.They get "set" and "comfortable" in "their" ways, not God's Way! Then when corrected their flesh rebels cause it's nice and easy to follow the god they want, not God... who IS.

threebigrocks
Mar 27th 2008, 03:14 PM
What is interesting to me is how it is that the church reacts now days to those words. Tis amazing in many ways.

From the pulpit and not just from body. Once one has been on the receiving end of that glare of those who see those words as nasty that seem to want to burn your eyes out PLUS see you off to a nice warm place - you know you've hit a nerve. Like you tried to force feed them poison.

Oh yeah. If a person is your hair stylist - don't "cuss" while she is actually cutting your hair.

Now, excuse me while I go find the bar of Lava. This is gonna take me awhile.

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 03:16 PM
They get "set" and "comfortable" in "their" ways, not God's Way! Then when corrected their flesh rebels cause it's nice and easy to follow the god they want, not God... who IS.That explains much of it sure enough.

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 03:17 PM
From the pulpit and not just from body. Once one has been on the receiving end of that glare of those who see those words as nasty that seem to want to burn your eyes out PLUS see you off to a nice warm place - you know you've hit a nerve. Like you tried to force feed them poison.

Oh yeah. If a person is your hair stylist - don't "cuss" while she is actually cutting your hair.

Now, excuse me while I go find the bar of Lava. This is gonna take me awhile.
Now you be thorough when you wash! :lol:

threebigrocks
Mar 27th 2008, 03:33 PM
Now you be thorough when you wash! :lol:

Yes sir! :saint:

IPet2_9
Mar 27th 2008, 04:51 PM
Here is the perfect Scripture related to Christian cussing:

James 3
9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

I happen to be guilty of this myself. Earlier in my life, I used to be worship leader on Sunday morning, leading praises--and then that afternoon I would play basketball at the church and I would get into repeated arguments over bogus foul calls. I cussed. Jesus also taught that "if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off...". So I just quit playing basketball. I enjoy playing, but it causes me to sin, it's better to just not do it.

That said, I consider cussing one of the lesser sins. Granted, if it hurts your witness and it causes someone to go to Hell, that would be quite incorrect. But there are people who have the perfect mouth, yet don't show kindness; while others are vulgar but genuine, and loving--they just have a bad habit. If we must work to improve ourselves, it is better to focus on our I Corinthians 13.

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 05:00 PM
:lol: Guess the response was on the title only!

threebigrocks
Mar 27th 2008, 05:20 PM
Set aside PRIDE - humility. :o

Lava lava lava...

Buck shot
Mar 27th 2008, 05:22 PM
"Repent" is another one that comes to mind :eek:

My heart's Desire
Mar 27th 2008, 05:38 PM

Goodness gracious... core teachings of the gospels and epistles and you'd honestly think folks count it as cursing. Don't be afraid of those words folks... they are all throughout the Scripture and we've just gotta deal with that fact. Surely you are not making fun of them?
Love could be another one of the words.

Slug1
Mar 27th 2008, 05:47 PM
SELF when paired with SACRIFICE becomes one also.

menJesus
Mar 27th 2008, 10:43 PM
HUMBLE yourself before the Lord!

FaithfulSheep
Mar 27th 2008, 10:57 PM
Add Love to the list too. So many seem to have forgotten what it is and how to do it.

Athanasius
Mar 27th 2008, 10:57 PM
Love seems to have become just another four letter word. . .

FaithfulSheep
Mar 27th 2008, 10:59 PM
Oh... and what about TRUTH?

cheech
Mar 27th 2008, 11:00 PM
I seem to find forgiveness amongst those cuss words as well ;).

cwb
Mar 27th 2008, 11:27 PM
Let us not judge one another.

OOPs. That was more than one word. I guess that's a cuss sentence.

cwb
Mar 27th 2008, 11:29 PM
I seem to find forgiveness amongst those cuss words as well ;).

You're getting bold now. I can't believe you posted that one.

Lisa Ruby
Mar 27th 2008, 11:35 PM
Your right.

Obey has become a four letter word. HOW SAD.

It is sad that Christians are falling for Satan's lie that because Jesus obeyed, we don't have to.

cheech
Mar 27th 2008, 11:42 PM
You're getting bold now. I can't believe you posted that one.

Ok...my grudge starts TODAY! :lol:

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2008, 11:55 PM
Surely you are not making fun of them?
Love could be another one of the words.Actually no... it is sad to me more than something to make fun of... call it using humor because otherwise... I'd pull my hair out.

While love is often misused by many Christian's today... love ain't one of those four letter words. But that is simply because folks have no understanding of God nor how God's love works. Just as they don't understand that the same God that is LOVE magnified... is also WRATH magnified.

Slug1
Mar 28th 2008, 12:06 AM
... is also WRATH magnified.:eek: but Jesus is a Pacifist :P

Wrath does seem to never be uttered in the same sentence that has the word Jesus in it as well.

WAR seems to be a word that many Christians refuse to associate with Jesus also.

cwb
Mar 28th 2008, 12:41 AM
:eek: but Jesus is a Pacifist :P

Wrath does seem to never be uttered in the same sentence that has the word Jesus in it as well.

WAR seems to be a word that many Christians refuse to associate with Jesus also.
That's odd. I guess they have not read these scriptures.

Rev 6:16
And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb

Rev 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

ProjectPeter
Mar 28th 2008, 12:50 AM
:eek: but Jesus is a Pacifist :P

And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.Yeah... it is amazing the God and Christ that folks have recreated in the last 40'ish years. Always happened... but it is more pronounced now by a boatload.

Slug1
Mar 28th 2008, 01:05 AM

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.Exactly :pp

The key is to read the "whole" Bible but it seems that many Christians just read the portions they like and worship a god they like.

threebigrocks
Mar 28th 2008, 03:01 AM
Exactly :pp

The key is to read the "whole" Bible but it seems that many Christians just read the portions they like and worship a god they like.

Taking in the whole of scripture - and letting it actually hit you for what it is - should knock one flat on their face.

Best part is once we get over the 4 letter words that same scripture will pick you right back up until your feet no longer touch the ground.

stillforgiven
Mar 28th 2008, 03:07 AM
Here's one my pastor says and then ducks.

FAITHFULNESS :o

militarywife
Mar 28th 2008, 04:10 AM

In love, that could be conviction.
You know, believers can be guilty of neglecting SO many of these words.

menJesus
Mar 28th 2008, 09:29 AM
I have 9 more - the FRUIT of the Spirit.

9Marksfan
Mar 29th 2008, 12:14 AM
HATE is another one - in connection with evil!

And another one

FORGIVE!

Please pray for me as I plan to preach on this on Sunday morning - a gospel message that contains this challenge for EVERYONE:-

IF YOU DON'T FORGIVE YOUR BROTHER FROM THE HEART, GOD WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU. Anyone here not forgiven someone? Why do you think you'll go to Heaven, then? God's Word says, unless you do forgive them - FROM THE HEART, you're going to Hell!

stillforgiven
Mar 29th 2008, 12:33 AM
FORGIVE!

Please pray for me as I plan to preach on this on Sunday morning - a gospel message that contains this challenge for EVERYONE:-

IF YOU DON'T FORGIVE YOUR BROTHER FROM THE HEART, GOD WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU. Anyone here not forgiven someone? Why do you think you'll go to Heaven, then? God's Word says, unless you do forgive them - FROM THE HEART, you're going to Hell!

I'll def pray for you. My pastor preaches this one all the time, even with other topics. It's one that warrants being repeated.

StevenC
Mar 29th 2008, 01:58 AM
ProjectPeter,

When God's people reject correction, they reject God himself. Does not the bible teach us what happens next?

-Steven

ProjectPeter
Mar 29th 2008, 12:23 PM
ProjectPeter,

When God's people reject correction, they reject God himself. Does not the bible teach us what happens next?

-Steven
Okay... did you sort of miss where I was going here on the thread?

9Marksfan
Mar 29th 2008, 08:11 PM
I'll def pray for you. My pastor preaches this one all the time, even with other topics. It's one that warrants being repeated.

Thanks - it's become even more urgent now. Those of us in leadership in our church have been checking out a couple of local folk (married, with three kids, fourth due any week now) that claim to be Christians and are well-known to us and are about to leave their current church (tomorrow)and want to join ours. Yet they have destroyed their present place and have damaged many lives with their ungracious, unforgiving, judgmental attitude - we have heard first hand testimony of this. We have urged them to be reconciled to those whom they believe have wronged them (but they haven't really - just disagreed biblically with them!) but they refuse, considering it "a waste of time" (not true - the brother they hold a grudge against wrote to them and invited reconciliation - I'm certain he's genuine) and "unnecessary" (that one SHOOK me!) - but the other two guys still feel I should be putting their names forward tomorrow morning for membership when I do the announcements - just not add that we recommend them and see what people say (even though no one in our meeting knows what's been going on!) - we have the FACTS - yet I'm not allowed to share them! My advice has been to make no announcement - yet I was kind of forced into agreeing to the neutral option at the end of a tense meeting this week, which seemed to make sense because it's our doctrine that the church admits to membership - but I realised the next day that it's normal practice in our circles to only out people's names forward for membership if there's satisfactory evidence! But there's THE OPPOSITE of that! I'm having my unwise agreement thrown back at me, even though I made it clear to both of them yesterday that I'd madse a mistake and wasn't happy to do it now - and explained why. One of the other guys is basically old, unwell and too unwilling to be confrontational. The other is too embarrassed to go back on his original enthusiasm, which he expressed to this couple before he knew what the background was - and is anxious to have another young family in our (mainly elderly) small meeting (35ish).

I am as certain as I can be that the LORD does not want these people to poison our meeting and, despite their Christian profession, I believe it is Satan that is sending them to us. I feel so strongly I have indicated that my family and I will leave if they are allowed in and our objections are ignored in favour of the ignorant majority (who are not allowed to know about the other church's problems with them).

Sorry this is kinda off topic but I think I'll repost in the Prayer section as well!

stillforgiven
Mar 29th 2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks - it's become even more urgent now. Those of us in leadership in our church have been checking out a couple of local folk (married, with three kids, fourth due any week now) that claim to be Christians and are well-known to us and are about to leave their current church (tomorrow)and want to join ours. Yet they have destroyed their present place and have damaged many lives with their ungracious, unforgiving, judgmental attitude - we have heard first hand testimony of this. We have urged them to be reconciled to those whom they believe have wronged them (but they haven't really - just disagreed biblically with them!) but they refuse, considering it "a waste of time" (not true - the brother they hold a grudge against wrote to them and invited reconciliation - I'm certain he's genuine) and "unnecessary" (that one SHOOK me!) - but the other two guys still feel I should be putting their names forward tomorrow morning for membership when I do the announcements - just not add that we recommend them and see what people say (even though no one in our meeting knows what's been going on!) - we have the FACTS - yet I'm not allowed to share them! My advice has been to make no announcement - yet I was kind of forced into agreeing to the neutral option at the end of a tense meeting this week, which seemed to make sense because it's our doctrine that the church admits to membership - but I realised the next day that it's normal practice in our circles to only out people's names forward for membership if there's satisfactory evidence! But there's THE OPPOSITE of that! I'm having my unwise agreement thrown back at me, even though I made it clear to both of them yesterday that I'd madse a mistake and wasn't happy to do it now - and explained why. One of the other guys is basically old, unwell and too unwilling to be confrontational. The other is too embarrassed to go back on his original enthusiasm, which he expressed to this couple before he knew what the background was - and is anxious to have another young family in our (mainly elderly) small meeting (35ish).

I am as certain as I can be that the LORD does not want these people to poison our meeting and, despite their Christian profession, I believe it is Satan that is sending them to us. I feel so strongly I have indicated that my family and I will leave if they are allowed in and our objections are ignored in favour of the ignorant majority (who are not allowed to know about the other church's problems with them).

Sorry this is kinda off topic but I think I'll repost in the Prayer section as well!

Sounds like a mess, and I'll pray about it with you. And by all means, preach the truth about forgiveness, and hopefully restore not only a brother and sister in Christ, but strengthen a fellowship body. There could be others who aren't so out loud and obvious about any bitterness or forgiveness they are holding onto.

threebigrocks
Mar 29th 2008, 09:36 PM
What has unfortunately stopped shocking me - is that when you use one of them there "cuss" words which we are called to embrace by Christ through scripture in the Spirit - there is always an excuse as to why to accompany the offense they take against it.

1 John 2

26These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you.
27As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him. 28Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.

StevenC
Apr 1st 2008, 04:52 PM
Okay... did you sort of miss where I was going here on the thread?

I'm simply suggesting a different perspective on the problem. You stated that Christians now take offense to words like OBEY. If thats true its only because they feel convicted but are too rebellious to accept the correction. If obedience is in decline, then trouble is sure to follow.

We are not powerless against this, we can pray against the things which are leading our brothers and sisters astray, and we can pray for those who are separated from him by sin.

God has a way of dealing with his people when they are rebellious. Consider, Jonah, Paul, the Nation of Israel, etc. We know that God has and will send forth his messengers to warn against them first, and if his people listen then they will be spared trouble, but if they continue in rebellion...

Tanya~
Apr 4th 2008, 05:26 AM
Preparing today's Bible study lesson, this thread gave me the inspiration I needed for my message title. :lol: Thanks, Project Peter.

My 4-letter word is WAIT.

Jesusinmyheart
Apr 4th 2008, 01:04 PM

The response to these 4 letter words are equally stunning : Law keeper! Legalist! Hypocrite!

It's sad really.

SHalom,
Tanja

TheDayIsComing
Apr 6th 2008, 01:19 AM
They get "set" and "comfortable" in "their" ways, not God's Way! Then when corrected their flesh rebels cause it's nice and easy to follow the god they want, not God... who IS.

I agree here. The thing is there are a lot of people out there that would call themselves Christians but when you look at the "fruit" they are producing, you would say otherwise.
If you are sitting comfy in sin, you might want to question yourself if you are truly in the faith.

Slug1
Apr 6th 2008, 01:26 AM
I agree here. The thing is there are a lot of people out there that would call themselves Christians but when you look at the "fruit" they are producing, you would say otherwise.
If you are sitting comfy in sin, you might want to question yourself if you are truly in the faith.Some people like to be labeled and to be labeled a Christian is usually a good thing but when asked about the word relationship you get a :hmm:... "What, it's more then just going to church?"

"Surrender?" "Humble myself?" "Service?" "Repent?" That's for those fanatic Christian's down in that other church... :rolleyes:

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77