PDA

View Full Version : Acts 16:16-18 and why Paul cast the demon out of the woman

herbalguy451
Oct 11th 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on Acts 16:16-18:

16 As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. 17 She followed Paul and us, crying out, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation." 18 And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour. (ESV)

This passage in Scripture has always been interesting to me because here is a woman who we are told had a spirit of divination. YET, this spirit still was telling the truth that Paul was preaching the way to salvation (through Christ) and that he was serving the MOST HIGH GOD. Always wondered why Paul would be annoyed by this woman when this spirit was affirming his message that he was preaching. And I also didn't think that demons could affirm that Jesus was the way to salvation? Or am I reading into that part? I know there are plenty of scripture references where demons recognize Jesus and know who He is and what He came to do. But that to me is different than actually confessing Jesus as Lord or the ONLY way to salvation (which this passage almost seems to indicate based on what we know Paul's message to be).

Look forward to your thoughts on this!

Blessings.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 11th 2008, 07:56 PM
Demons can say anything they want to, even if it's the truth. The detail that stands out to me is that she was following them around shouting and this went on for days. That'd make it tough for them to explain their message with somebody constantly yelling around them. I would've gotten irritated a lot quicker than Paul did.

RogerW
Oct 11th 2008, 07:58 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on Acts 16:16-18:

16 As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. 17 She followed Paul and us, crying out, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation." 18 And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour. (ESV)

This passage in Scripture has always been interesting to me because here is a woman who we are told had a spirit of divination. YET, this spirit still was telling the truth that Paul was preaching the way to salvation (through Christ) and that he was serving the MOST HIGH GOD. Always wondered why Paul would be annoyed by this woman when this spirit was affirming his message that he was preaching. And I also didn't think that demons could affirm that Jesus was the way to salvation? Or am I reading into that part? I know there are plenty of scripture references where demons recognize Jesus and know who He is and what He came to do. But that to me is different than actually confessing Jesus as Lord or the ONLY way to salvation (which this passage almost seems to indicate based on what we know Paul's message to be).

Look forward to your thoughts on this!

Blessings.

Greetings Herbalguy,

Welcome to the community!

Paul in silencing or driving out the evil spirit is doing the same thing that Christ had done (Lu 8:28; Mr 1:24; 3:11; Mt 8:29; Lu 4:41). If testimony of the truth in Christ is given through devils (and they were very eager to give this testimony), then it would appear that the testimony of Christ and His enemies is the same.

Many Blessings,
RW

markedward
Oct 11th 2008, 08:13 PM
Demons can say anything they want to, even if it's the truth. The detail that stands out to me is that she was following them around shouting and this went on for days. That'd make it tough for them to explain their message with somebody constantly yelling around them. I would've gotten irritated a lot quicker than Paul did.This makes much more sense than some of the explanations I've seen elsewhere.

Imagine going to a church service, and the pastor/whoever is giving their sermon, but someone in the group is constantly shouting out "He's preaching the word of God!" This in itself would make it very difficult for the pastor to get his message across, it would make it difficult for other people to pay attention to the pastor, and it would probably even make newcomers not want to come back, or even leave right there.

Which would you rather listen to? Someone trying to speak to you and teach you in a person-to-person level, or someone shouting at you from a street corner, saying the same thing over and over?

Literalist-Luke
Oct 11th 2008, 09:21 PM
Imagine going to a church service, and the pastor/whoever is giving their sermon, but someone in the group is constantly shouting out "He's preaching the word of God!" This in itself would make it very difficult for the pastor to get his message across, it would make it difficult for other people to pay attention to the pastor, and it would probably even make newcomers not want to come back, or even leave right there.

Which would you rather listen to? Someone trying to speak to you and teach you in a person-to-person level, or someone shouting at you from a street corner, saying the same thing over and over?Exactly my point. :thumbsup:

cdo
Oct 13th 2008, 06:05 PM
Very interesting point to the 'OP'
I'm in agreement to each of the posts from you all.But, one thing is ...it's all in the same that I see.
We have been told in God's word before that 'they tremble at the name of Jesus' .....but 'these demons' were really deceiving others like it was posted about before to 'try and confuse the ones looking forward to hear Paul's preaching about the Gospel'.
As for as waiting days to stop their mouth....that of course would be what the purpose of what God had in mind for 'the demon'
But this is how 'evil spirits' work against the children of God and to those who want to learn of Him...even to this day.When the time came for Paul to rebuke 'them' he did as he was lead.
Just my thoughts...not that they mean anything, But to only God :)
in Christ,Darlene.......God Bless all !

Vhayes
Oct 13th 2008, 06:09 PM
I learned from someone years ago that what the slave girl said was:
17 - She followed Paul and us, crying out, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you A way of salvation."

Not THE Way of salvation.

Not sure how correct that is but it certainly made sense to me at the time.

Hope this helps -
V

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77