PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Why Do We Kneel To Pray?

JesusReignsForever
Oct 19th 2008, 10:46 PM
Do you think it is important to Kneel and Pray?

my take on it....

We put God high above everything.

We show our humility.

We show that we surrender to God.

We show that God is in charge of everything and his will be done, not my will.

We show our desperation.

To me it is very important to kneel and pray I guess because that is the way I was brought up in my old church. We always knelt down to pray and honestly great things happened, it formed in me a strong prayer life. Standing and praying is okay I'm not saying always be on your knees because trust me they go numb after a while lol. But it is essential when you are in desperate need of something in/from GOD. I dont know about you but I am in desperate need of God each and everyday of my life.

Matt. 6:5-7

5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Luke 18: 9-14

9And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 20th 2008, 02:13 AM
We show our humility.
We show that we surrender to God.
We show that God is in charge of everything and his will be done, not my will.
We show our desperation.There's certainly nothing wrong with "showing" these things if that makes your prayer time more meaningful to you. I would point out, however, that God already knows everything, and if you really do have these qualities, you don't have to kneel to "prove it" to God.

There are examples in the Bible of people speaking to God without being on their knees, so it can be done. Just so long as you don't consider it a requirement that would otherwise invalidate your prayer, then you are free to "approach the throne of grace" in whatever manner you feel is most appropriate. :)

paradiseinn
Oct 20th 2008, 02:22 AM
sometimes I pray with my eyes open, but i'd rather pray with them closed.
there are times when i'm driving and I have to keep them open.:)

Dani H
Oct 20th 2008, 04:07 AM
I'm always kneeling on the inside ...

Actually it's more of a permanent "carpet time" (i.e. prostrate on the floor). What else you gonna do in the presence of the living God?

But no, I don't think outward positioning matters ... it may help get you inwardly focused, but God looks at your heart, regardless. You can kneel and be prideful, and you can stand and be humble. :)

ƒσяєяυииєя
Oct 20th 2008, 07:19 AM
Good point,

Lest we be found doing something with no basis/groundwork/foundation.

And it came to pass, when he was in a certain city, behold a man full of leprosy: who seeing Jesus fell on his face, and besought him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. Luke 5:12.

A verse showing how did the leper prayed/asked/requested Jesus to be cleansed.

Be good

heart4jehovah
Oct 20th 2008, 07:28 AM
I think that kneeling while praying is our first step of submission to GOD. Worship always begins in a physical way, when we submit ourselves physically our mind and soul slowly follows.
Remember what Jesus once said to HIS disciples when He found them sleeping when they were supposed to pray:
"Spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" Matthew 26:41
We do not kneel to prove something, because GOD Almighty knows everything, we do this to overcome our own weakness, and to submit ourselves to GOD.
Though this is not the only way, but surely submission is the gateway of a powerful anointment of GOD.

lis010272
Oct 20th 2008, 02:06 PM
Why do we kneel to pray? Biblically it is written that God chosen people (such as king Solomon) kneel down when he pray,,
“And it was so, that when Solomon had made an end of praying all this prayer and supplication unto the LORD, he arose from before the altar of the LORD, from kneeling on his knees with his hands spread up to heaven.” 1 King 8:54

and even we are encouraged by David to kneel down to honour our Almighty.

“O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker” Ps.95:6

Then other question is “do you think it is important to kneel and pray?”
I believed that pray is very important no question nor arguments about that, however, kneeling is a matter of choice, yes indeed we are encourage to but we are not commanded to kneel when we pray,, its our heart that is important to be right with God when we pray.

Have a blessed day!!

JesusReignsForever
Oct 20th 2008, 02:21 PM
Okay yes I do understand what a couple of folks said about God knows everything that is absolutely correct in my heart. Yes he does know everything, I still think it is important in my walk with christ that I get down on my knees in the physical when I can. I personally dont like to stand and pray I just cant focus immediatly. It seems to me when I am sitting or kneeling I can feel more comfortable and get in a more better connection with God.:pray:

I thank everyone for there input.

Dani H
Oct 20th 2008, 03:03 PM
This reminds me of a story I heard about the Argentinian revival.

Seems there was a stronghold of pride in a certain city. God commanded the believers there who were interceding, to go to the Town Square and humble themselves publicly by kneeling (to counteract the pride and break its power).

They did so, and the power of God fell.

So I think the more we struggle with pride, the more we ought to humble ourselves on purpose and physically, before our God, to let our flesh know who is in charge. :)

sunsetssplendor
Oct 20th 2008, 06:35 PM
I pray sitting, driving, bathing, kneeling etc.
I do find that a pillow beneath my knees help me to pray on my knees longer. I always feel "better" somehow when I've knelt - it's like I get down to the nitty gritty of it (my issues, needs, fallings etc.) I recommend kneeling as often as physically possible.

coinsistament
Oct 20th 2008, 06:56 PM
I'm for kneeling spiritually (inward and figurative) and also for kneeling physically (outward and literal)

My God is so greatly to be worshipped and adored that if there were a third way I'd do that too.

JesusReignsForever
Oct 21st 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm for kneeling spiritually (inward and figurative) and also for kneeling physically (outward and literal)

My God is so greatly to be worshipped and adored that if there were a third way I'd do that too.

Amen to that!! I wonder what the third way could be? Perphaps stand on your head? that would be intresting indeed:rofl:

JesusReignsForever
Oct 21st 2008, 04:33 PM
I pray sitting, driving, bathing, kneeling etc.
I do find that a pillow beneath my knees help me to pray on my knees longer. I always feel "better" somehow when I've knelt - it's like I get down to the nitty gritty of it (my issues, needs, fallings etc.) I recommend kneeling as often as physically possible.

I know what your saying maybe its a mental thing but when I am on my knees talking to God I just feel like I can get directly in contact with him and its just me and him no one else just us alone.

TBONE61
Oct 22nd 2008, 02:54 PM
You can not do a spiritual act without doing a physical act:

Try the following

stand, looking up, with our eyes open and our hands reaching up, and pray, “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.”
look down, with your hands clasped before you and pray the same prayer.
sit down, looking down, with our eyes closed and your hands folded, prayed the same prayer.
kneel, looking up imploringly, and pray the same prayer.

Decide if the posture really does make a difference. Pray with your body as you pray with your spirit.

Standing with hands uplifted and open, head up, and eyes open.

This is the oldest posture for prayer. It is called the orans position, from the Latin word for praying. By praying this way, the worshiper acknowledges God as external and transcendent. This posture is for thanksgiving, praises, blessings, benedictions, and general prayers. This is still the normal position for prayers in eastern churches and in Jewish synagogues, and it is still used in the western church, particularly when the clergy bless the bread and wine of the Eucharist.

About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. —Luke 9:28-32, NIV

After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed
—John 17:1a, NIV

I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer…
—1 Timothy 2:8a, NIV

Standing with hands clasped at the waist, head bowed, and eyes averted or closed.

This is the traditional posture of a shackled prisoner of war who is brought before the conquering king. The hands are clasped at the waist as if they were shackled in chains. The eyes are averted—in ancient times, looking directly at one’s captor was insolent and a good way to get killed on the spot. This posture is for submissive petitions or for intercessory or penitential prayer, as we see in Luke 18:10-13.

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: ‘God, I want to thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ —Luke 18:10-13, NIV

Kneeling, either with the head up, eyes open, hands open, or with head down, eyes closed, and hands clasped.

This is the traditional posture for requesting favors from a king, and so it became the traditional posture for prayers of repentance or supplication. The Council of Nicea in AD 325 forbade kneeling on Sundays, because penitential prayer is not appropriate during a celebration of the Resurrection. In western Christianity, kneeling came to mean simple humility and submission, and so kneeling became the normal posture for most prayers in the west. However, to eastern Christians, kneeling still means repentance or supplication.

The servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt, and let him go.
—Matthew 18:26, NIV

[Jesus] withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.
—Luke 22:41-44, NIV
Some western churches have kneelers so the congregation can pray in the pews. Others do not have kneelers, but when people gather at the altar railing, they kneel. The secret to kneeling is not to bend at the waist. Thrust your hips forward, so that your abdomen and thighs form a straight, vertical line, and you’ll be able to kneel for long periods of time without fatigue and without sitting on your heels.

Lying on one’s belly, hands up, either with the head up and eyes open or with the head down and the eyes averted or closed.

This is the traditional posture for begging favors from a king when the favors are great and the petitioner is either desperate or has—literally—no standing before the king. It became the traditional posture for desperate, penitential, or intercessory prayer and is still used in eastern churches, which have plenty of room because they don’t have pews.

Then [Jesus] said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
—Matthew 26:38-39, NIV
Sitting, head down, eyes averted or closed, and hands clasped.

The Roman Catholic Church invented pews during the Middle Ages, right before the Protestant Reformation. Since the Protestant Reformation was essentially a Christian education movement with very long sermons, the Protestants kept the pews even though they rejected just about everything else they regarded as a ‘Roman invention.’ As a result, sitting has become the normal posture for prayer for many western congregations.
In 2 Samuel 7:18, David sat to pray. However, sitting for prayer was not prevalent until after the invention of pews.

So does it matter whether you sit, stand, or kneel in prayer?

Yes it does.

Do we not clean the church and decorate it appropriately for Sunday services?

Then how much more important is it for us to prepare our bodies for prayer, seeing that they are temples in which the Holy Spirit dwells?

Bethany67
Oct 22nd 2008, 03:07 PM
I pray wherever I am: in the shower, on the toilet, walking, standing on the train, sitting at my desk, lying in bed, doing stuff in the garden, dancing ... posture doesn't make any difference to me spiritually, but if it's a position that aggravates my back like kneeling, it's a distraction. It's the prayer that counts.

livingwaters
Oct 22nd 2008, 07:56 PM
My daughter laughs, in a good way, about my knees having callouses on them from praying (since we don't have carpet). So, I tell all of my children, these knees are constantly pleading the Blood of our precious Savior over their heads!!!

I once heard a preacher say he wasn't going to kneel on that hard floor, when he could lay on his comfortable bed and pray.

I tried that!!!! Guess what, the Holy Spirit got hold of me and said to my spirit, "I think you can kneel to pray, after all, look what Jesus went through for the whole world to have eternal life." Well, that cinched it for me, I gladly fall on these old knees for my nightly prayer. During the course of the day, I pray all the time, anywhere I am.

God Bless:)

nettiel
Nov 13th 2008, 06:45 PM
i also like to kneel and pray its like kneeling at jesus feet.its respect for our lord.:pray:

JesusReignsForever
Nov 14th 2008, 02:15 AM
i also like to kneel and pray its like kneeling at jesus feet.its respect for our lord.:pray:

Amen I agree sometimes I like to picture in my head that I am at his feet while I am praying it is so powerful.:pp

holpcs2
Nov 14th 2008, 02:55 AM
I pray wherever I'm at, but on your knees is the most humble position you can be in.

RZ06
Nov 21st 2008, 06:38 PM
During service, after we've sang worship songs, the pastor comes up to the "stage" and everyone up there kneel's down (including him) while he says the prayer.

That's the first time I've seen a pastor do that. I like it...Everyone else is invited to kneel as well.

JesusReignsForever
Nov 21st 2008, 07:42 PM
During service, after we've sang worship songs, the pastor comes up to the "stage" and everyone up there kneel's down (including him) while he says the prayer.

That's the first time I've seen a pastor do that. I like it...Everyone else is invited to kneel as well.

That is awesome and I am sure it is powerful....we must come before God humbly and what better posture than on our knees. Praise God!

Gregg
Nov 27th 2008, 01:37 PM
The day that I don't want to kneel is the day that I need to the most.

A long time ago, I didn't want to kneel to pray, he wanted me to. I did. Now, I can talk to him when ever and where ever I want. My question now is will I get my hug from Jesus before or after I fall on my face when we meet. Hmm....I think I would like a little kneel time right now. What a gift.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77