PDA

View Full Version : Are we suppose to pray outloud or silently when alone?

moonglow
Nov 8th 2008, 07:36 PM
Usually I pray silently when I am alone, unless I am doing prayers with my son, of course...but something happened this past week or so where I had prayed out loud and my prayers were instantly answered...:hmm:

I have tried to think of any verses covering this but all I can think of is where Jesus says this:

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

But it doesn't say if when praying alone if our prayers should be said out loud or not...anyone know?

God bless

threebigrocks
Nov 8th 2008, 07:57 PM
Really - if we are alone we aren't being hypocrates doing it for all to see and the pharasees and saducees did. All that is talking about is humility, and don't make yourself seem righteous because of that false humility in seeking acknowledgement by men.

Pray out loud when you can, if you want. But I find praying out loud makes things more personal. Nothing wrong with it if you do and nothing wrong if you don't pray out loud.

Hobbes91
Nov 8th 2008, 08:05 PM
I think God hears you no matter how big or small you talk.

Richard H
Nov 8th 2008, 08:08 PM
I'm not a "positive confessor" or into dominion, but there may be something to be said (no pun intended) for speaking out loud.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:10

I think silent prayer is fine, but speaking out loud requires a better train of thought and even voice inflection which we hear back - even strengthening our faith. (Rom 10:17)

moonglow
Nov 8th 2008, 08:35 PM
Ok thanks all...I guess I never thought about praying out loud when I was alone...though sometimes I would..or start praying out loud then going to being silent...

Oh I gotta tell you something...the other day I was driving down the road and a lost dog ran out in front of the car my son and I were in. I had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting the poor thing. Scared me to pieces! Scared the dog too and it moved out of the road which is what I wanted since more cars were coming and it was a four lane road. Anyway I always pray for these lost pets but usually to myself. Well I prayed out loud and my son looked at me and said..."You do realize you are doing that out loud don't you? " :lol: He missed the first part of what I said...I had told him I usually pray for these lost pets...then I was trying to show him how I prayed! So yea, I meant to pray out loud for him to hear..lol.

Anyway I have been trying to pray more out loud.

God bless

Friend of I AM
Nov 8th 2008, 08:52 PM
Usually I pray silently when I am alone, unless I am doing prayers with my son, of course...but something happened this past week or so where I had prayed out loud and my prayers were instantly answered...:hmm:

I have tried to think of any verses covering this but all I can think of is where Jesus says this:

Matthew 6

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

But it doesn't say if when praying alone if our prayers should be said out loud or not...anyone know?

God bless

Matthew 18:20
For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Either one is good. The bible encourages us to do both.

moonglow
Nov 8th 2008, 08:53 PM
Matthew 18:20
For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Either one is good. The bible encourages us to do both.

I am sorry but I don't understand your post....:confused I am talking about praying out loud alone..not with other people...

Friend of I AM
Nov 8th 2008, 08:59 PM
I am sorry but I don't understand your post....:confused I am talking about praying out loud alone..not with other people...

Oh -- whoops my bad. Should have read the post better. I'd say whatever comes naturally to you.

“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”(that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:8b-10)

So out loud or silently is okay. Just depends on how the spirit moves you. God bless.

Stephen

Saved!
Nov 8th 2008, 10:27 PM
Years ago someone reminded me that satan was not "all-knowing," that he was limited in his knowledge of exactly how to harm us or tempt us....although he has thousands of years of knowledge, he still has some limits. The idea being that he probably has a great guess as to what I am thinking, but it is still a guess. He cannot read our minds. Ergo, if we pray silently he has to guess about our deepest fears, needs, etc. However, if we pray aloud he can hear the prayer and use it against us. So, I have always been careful to pray silently. Silly, I know. But, that is why I pray in silence.

Literalist-Luke
Nov 9th 2008, 12:08 AM
You can pray any way you want to, darlin'. Out loud or silently, God hears it all. :thumbsup:

Dani H
Nov 9th 2008, 01:25 AM
Years ago someone reminded me that satan was not "all-knowing," that he was limited in his knowledge of exactly how to harm us or tempt us....although he has thousands of years of knowledge, he still has some limits. The idea being that he probably has a great guess as to what I am thinking, but it is still a guess. He cannot read our minds. Ergo, if we pray silently he has to guess about our deepest fears, needs, etc. However, if we pray aloud he can hear the prayer and use it against us. So, I have always been careful to pray silently. Silly, I know. But, that is why I pray in silence.

Why would satan have the power to use a prayer God has already heard against us? I heard something like that too, but God is bigger than that, in my humble opinion. I really have no regards to the enemy when I converse with my God, other than kicking his sorry tail to the curb as God directs. I would encourage you to boldly proclaim the word of the Lord in prayer, right into the enemy's face. You can do it. :)

P.S. The enemy has a LOT of limits, by the way. His power doesn't even compare to God's. Be encouraged, and let your beautiful voice be heard. He alreay knows most of our fears anyway, because he has been watching us for years and knows exactly what our buttons are. So what? Who cares? We know what his are, too, and he is deathly afraid of Jesus and those who boldly step into His Presence, proclaiming His Word and our love for Him. :hug:

moonglow
Nov 9th 2008, 02:33 AM

I have heard that too...but for rebuking satan...not in regards to our prayers to God...whether its even true or not in both cases, I don't know that there is any scriptures on it...:hmm: One thing I do know is satan can only be in one place at a time...unlike God who is everywhere..

You can pray any way you want to, darlin'. Out loud or silently, God hears it all. :thumbsup:

Yep!!............

God bless

threebigrocks
Nov 9th 2008, 04:02 AM
If you look back at the prophets and kings, David and Isaiah for example, they cried out to God. They did lots of praying out loud!

Literalist-Luke
Nov 9th 2008, 04:43 AM
Years ago someone reminded me that satan was not "all-knowing," that he was limited in his knowledge of exactly how to harm us or tempt us....although he has thousands of years of knowledge, he still has some limits. The idea being that he probably has a great guess as to what I am thinking, but it is still a guess. He cannot read our minds. Ergo, if we pray silently he has to guess about our deepest fears, needs, etc. However, if we pray aloud he can hear the prayer and use it against us. So, I have always been careful to pray silently. Silly, I know. But, that is why I pray in silence.Do you trust God to protect you from Satan? And if Satan is really that smart, what makes you think he won't figure out your deepest fears by observing your life even when you're not praying?

I think you're giving Satan way too much power. You have a God on your side who is so much more powerful than Satan that there is no need to fear. Satan cannot do anything to you that God does not allow. And if God allows it, then being the most silent pray-er in the world won't make any difference. Go ahead and shout your requests to the heavens, there's no need to fear. :thumbsup:

nickm2004
Nov 9th 2008, 08:34 PM
I have always thought about the praying out loud vs silently and the other day I saw a perfect example of God's acceptance of silent prayer in 1 Samuel 1:12 where Hannah prays for a son which turns out to be Samuel when God answers the prayer.

1 Samuel 1:12
"And it happened, as she continued praying before the Lord, that Eli watched her mouth. Now Hannah spoke in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard."

That prayer was answered with the birth of Samuel.

Vhayes
Nov 9th 2008, 08:56 PM
For me, Moonglow, it's however I am led at the time. there are times it's silent and quick. There are other times I pray aloud if for no other reason than to keep me focused - especially when I am really stressed about something.

I liked your story about saying the prayer for the dog and your son hearing. Just so you know, I've prayed aloud when our children were small and when they were teens. One day not long ago, when my son who is now 28 was getting in the truck with me to go someone, he stopped me as I was getting ready to turn the key and asked, "Where's the prayer?" - I sort of looked at him oddly because I had said a prayer silently as I was unlocking the truck. He told me he couldn't remember a time when I had driven that I hadn't started the trip, no matter how long or how short, with a prayer for safety and to be a blessing to others on the road. He said he does the same and has for several years and told me he talks to God all day long because to him, that's "normal".

So keep up what you're doing. It WILL make a difference in Nate's life.
V

moonglow
Nov 9th 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks all...you have given some wonderful examples here of praying out loud...Its much appreciated.

This all came about because last weekend my son was very sick with the stomach flu and having alot of nausea...he asked me to pray for him while he laid in bed feeling so bad and so I did...out loud and instantly the nausea stopped. It came back later, I think two more times in the day...each time I prayed out loud over him and the nausea left him. He was one sick boy..ended up running over a 101 temp with this too. :( I have prayed for others that were ill or facing surgery out loud with him at bed time prayers and so this is probably why he thought to ask me to pray for him. I was just surprised...well very surprised my prayers were answered so quickly! That is why I thought I would ask. In the past when he has been sick I have prayed but silently...just never thought about praying out loud.

God bless

leebee
Nov 10th 2008, 11:57 AM
Why would satan have the power to use a prayer God has already heard against us? I heard something like that too, but God is bigger than that, in my humble opinion. I really have no regards to the enemy when I converse with my God, other than kicking his sorry tail to the curb as God directs. I would encourage you to boldly proclaim the word of the Lord in prayer, right into the enemy's face. You can do it. :)

P.S. The enemy has a LOT of limits, by the way. His power doesn't even compare to God's. Be encouraged, and let your beautiful voice be heard. He alreay knows most of our fears anyway, because he has been watching us for years and knows exactly what our buttons are. So what? Who cares? We know what his are, too, and he is deathly afraid of Jesus and those who boldly step into His Presence, proclaiming His Word and our love for Him. :hug:

Yeah, baby!!^^

I like to pray out loud as much as possible, even when I'm alone. I think God likes to hear our voice when we speak. Praying out loud takes more concentration, and I'm not knocking silent prayer, which is useful at certain times also. I let my 6 year old son pray silently sometimes, like when he's tired cause Its easier and I don't want to turn him off of prayer in his beginning years. I think God hears 'em all. Just my thought.--God bless.

Reedan
Nov 11th 2008, 02:28 AM
Personally, I dont think it matters if we pray silently our loudly, God hears us, Maybe we should try both if we can, Personally, I think when i pray silently I can describe my feelings and pray more:)
Praying loudly is also Good:)

gpmosely
Nov 11th 2008, 02:33 AM

Matthew 6

God bless

I think if your praying with someone like your son or in a private place with someone earnestly seeking help and prayer thats fine if you say it outloud.

I think what is being said is when your there and you see someone always praying loudly so they can be seen by men who think they are SO religious. Like in church you always have that one who has to make this 30 minute prayer and sound so religious or will say loudly to a nonbeliever I'll pray for you! And then they start praying in the streets or something loudly...I mean really when I see someone doing that or singing super loud with their Christian Music, etc I really think my goodness what a hypocrit. I usually then dismiss whatever it is they say or try to do because I can see its an act.

I think what is being said is: If you make it look like an act- nobody is going to believe a thing and God knows its an act. But if you pray quietly and earnestly to the father then he knows your heart he knows you truely mean it, but if your putting on a show, he knows that too.

Prayer is such an intimate form of communication with our heavenly father its important to not put up fronts and I think when people make it a point to put a big show of how religious they are (and unfortunately loud long prayers are one of the ways they do it) they drive people away from God and they can see through it and they don't want apart of it.

So that's my take on it. :)

Kudo Shinichi
Nov 11th 2008, 03:32 PM
Matthew 6:6 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=6&verse=6&version=31&context=verse)
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Matthew 6:5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=6&verse=5&version=31&context=verse)
[ Prayer ] "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

nettiel
Nov 12th 2008, 01:50 PM
i think praying out loud is ok but inside ,in your prayer corner,or at night before bed.god knows your heart, i love my private time with god.:)

moonglow
Nov 12th 2008, 04:05 PM
i think praying out loud is ok but inside ,in your prayer corner,or at night before bed.god knows your heart, i love my private time with god.:)

Actually since I am alone part of the day with my son at school...I can pretty much pray out loud anywhere in the house! :lol: At any time. I pray walking down the hall..in the kitchen, in some room..where ever. I don't think we have to wait until bed time or first thing in the morning or physically go into our closet..no room in my closet anyway! lol. In Jesus time large families lived together and there was no place to go to be alone except in a closet. I don't have that problem. I think its a mistake to wait until a certain time of day to pray especially when the bible tells us to pray constantly...

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

God bless

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77