PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Show me where in the bible God gives a timeline of spiritual growth.

JesusReignsForever
Nov 11th 2008, 04:54 AM
I am intrested to see where God puts a "timeline" on how fast or how slow one can Grow in the spirit. Since I have been told I am just a babe in christ repeatedly is there any biblical evidence that shows one can or cannot grow in the spirit faster than others no matter natural age.

Thanks

Please STICK TO THE TOPIC.

I am not intrested in what you think or how you feel or what you heard I only want responses that are biblical and please provide the scripture(s)

markedward
Nov 11th 2008, 05:02 AM
I'm pretty sure you won't find a "timeline". It's subjective to the individual. Being a "babe in Christ" doesn't have anything to do with a specified amount of time where your faith grows the same as you did as a person. It grows depending on how you spend your time reading and studying the Word, meditating upon its truths, and relating to God and your fellow man. A person can be a "babe in Christ" for a matter of days, or for many years. Spiritual maturity doesn't come with simply being a Christian for a long time, and it does't come with just reading the Word and being able to recite certain verses. It comes from understanding the Word and embracing what it says. The amount of time between becoming a Christian and getting around to this "maturity" varies from person to person... so you're not going to find a "timeline" in the Bible about spiritually "growing up".

With that said... it just seems like you're upset for being called a "babe in Christ", especially in light of that giant "This is my thread, do what I say" thing you slapped onto the end of your post.

Kahtar
Nov 11th 2008, 05:05 AM
Your growth rate is entirely dependant upon your 'willingness and obedience' rate.
I've met children that were more mature spiritually than a whole bunch of elder Christians I know.
We can be babes all our lives, or we can mature in just a few short years.
But there are things that we all must go through, sooner or later, if we are willing and obedient, many hard lessons. Seems like it's always the hard ones that produce the greatest growth.

JesusReignsForever
Nov 11th 2008, 05:08 AM
I'm pretty sure you won't find a "timeline". It's subjective to the individual. Being a "babe in Christ" doesn't have anything to do with a specified amount of time where your faith grows the same as you did as a person. It grows depending on how you spend your time reading and studying the Word, meditating upon its truths, and relating to God and your fellow man. A person can be a "babe in Christ" for a matter of days, or for many years. Spiritual maturity doesn't come with simply being a Christian for a long time, and it does't come with just reading the Word and being able to recite certain verses. It comes from understanding the Word and embracing what it says. The amount of time between becoming a Christian and getting around to this "maturity" varies from person to person... so you're not going to find a "timeline" in the Bible about spiritually "growing up".

With that said... it just seems like you're upset for being called a "babe in Christ", especially in light of that giant "This is my thread, do what I say" thing you slapped onto the end of your post.

lol I put that there because anytime I ask a question it never get answered so I can understand it, it usually goes into the left field and never comes back. I just wanted a direct answer, and yea I was mad for being called a babe in christ because it is unfair when someone dosent even really know you. that is all. I thank you for you answer. :)

JesusReignsForever
Nov 11th 2008, 05:10 AM
Your growth rate is entirely dependant upon your 'willingness and obedience' rate.
I've met children that were more mature spiritually than a whole bunch of elder Christians I know.
But there are things that we all must go through, sooner or later, if we are willing and obedient, many hard lessons. Seems like it's always the hard ones that produce the greatest growth.

I agree I have seen some kids that were like little old people because God had gave them an awesome gift.:) Thanks for your input

Moxie
Nov 11th 2008, 05:17 AM
Read the book of I John. Although the book does not answer your question specifically it will give you some insight as to what it means to be a true believer. Obedience to His word and a willing heart to want to know Him; to have a continual loving relationship with Him despite our feelings or wants. I believe a mature Christian is Spirit Controlled and walks in such a way as to not walk in the flesh. Paul talks about this in Romans. Hope that helps.

JesusReignsForever
Nov 11th 2008, 05:19 AM
Read the book of I John. Although the book does not answer your question specifically it will give you some insight as to what it means to be a true believer. Obedience to His word and a willing heart to want to know Him; to have a continual loving relationship with Him despite our feelings or wants. I believe a mature Christian is Spirit Controlled and walks in such a way as to not walk in the flesh. Paul talks about this in Romans. Hope that helps.

Thanks 1 John that gives me something to read and study tonight thanks!

Biastai
Nov 11th 2008, 05:32 AM
"Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?"
1 Corinthians 3:1-3 (NIV)

In this passage, Paul addresses the Corinthian church. A reading of this book quickly shows a church divided whether it be by differing levels of wealth among members in their fellowship meals (1 Cor 11:17-22) or by doctrinal disputes (1 Cor 1:2). All this lead to overemphasis of individuals, chaotic worship services (1 Cor 14:26-33), and even fellow believers taking each other to court (1 Cor 6:1-6). Lack of effort to unify one's body of believers or contributing to its division would therefore be a sign of "infancy in Christ."

In contrast, Paul's words to the Roman church in Romans 14 and 15 explain that scruples about food laws should not cause contention at their meals and that those of "stronger" faith should accomodate for those of "weaker" faith. These instructions move the body of believers away from division towards acceptance and unity. Since the main act of primitive Christian worship was the "breaking of bread" or the fellowship meal, the Jewish food and cleanliness laws were a major point of contention between Jew and Gentile within the body of believers.

"We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."
Romans 15:1-7 (NIV)

SammeyDW
Nov 11th 2008, 05:42 AM

I agree I have seen some kids that were like little old people because God had gave them an awesome gift.:) Thanks for your input

A guest speaker at our church said this when he addressed the relationship between age,and maturity level.
"Getting old is mandatory , becoming mature (in every way that truly counts) is voluntary."

JesusReignsForever
Nov 11th 2008, 05:44 AM
"Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?"
1 Corinthians 3:1-3 (NIV)

In this passage, Paul addresses the Corinthian church. A reading of this book quickly shows a church divided whether it be by differing levels of wealth among members in their fellowship meals (1 Cor 11:17-22) or by doctrinal disputes (1 Cor 1:2). All this lead to overemphasis of individuals, chaotic worship services (1 Cor 14:26-33), and even fellow believers taking each other to court (1 Cor 6:1-6). Lack of effort to unify one's body of believers or contributing to its division would therefore be a sign of "infancy in Christ."

In contrast, Paul's words to the Roman church in Romans 14 and 15 explain that scruples about food laws should not cause contention at their meals and that those of "stronger" faith should accomodate for those of "weaker" faith. These instructions move the body of believers away from division towards acceptance and unity. Since the main act of primitive Christian worship was the "breaking of bread" or the fellowship meal, the Jewish food and cleanliness laws were a major point of contention between Jew and Gentile within the body of believers.

"We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."
Romans 15:1-7 (NIV)

More to read and study! I thank you so much!:)

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77