PDA

View Full Version : are Bible forums such as this one, Biblical?

Thaddaeus
Nov 24th 2008, 09:32 PM
1co 1:17For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.1co 1:18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.1co 1:19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

:hmm: Are Bible forums such as this one, Biblical?

Lu 22:24 (http://bibleforums.org/lu+22:24)And there was also a STRIFE among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.Ro 13:13 (http://bibleforums.org/ro+13:13)Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in STRIFE and envying.1co 3:3 (http://bibleforums.org/1co+3:3)For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and STRIFE, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?2co 12:20 (http://bibleforums.org/2co+12:20)For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, STRIFEs, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:Ga 5:20 (http://bibleforums.org/ga+5:20)Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, STRIFE, seditions, heresies,Php 1:15 (http://bibleforums.org/php+1:15)Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and STRIFE; and some also of good will:Php 2:3 (http://bibleforums.org/php+2:3)Let nothing be done through STRIFE or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.1ti 6:4 (http://bibleforums.org/1ti+6:4)He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and STRIFEs of words, whereof cometh envy, STRIFE, railings, evil surmisings,2ti 2:23 (http://bibleforums.org/2ti+2:23)But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender STRIFEs.Heb 6:16 (http://bibleforums.org/heb+6:16)For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all STRIFE.Jas 3:14 (http://bibleforums.org/jas+3:14)But if ye have bitter envying and STRIFE in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.Jas 3:16 (http://bibleforums.org/jas+3:16)For where envying and STRIFE is, there is confusion and every evil work.

STRIFE, n. [See Strive.]
1. Exertion or contention for superiority; contest of emulation, either by intellectual or physical efforts. Strife may be carried on between students or between mechanics.
Thus Gods contended, noble strife, who most should ease the wants of life.
2. Contention in anger or enmity; contest; struggle for victory; quarrel or war.
I and my people were at great strife with the children of Ammon. Judges 12.
These vows thus granted, raisd a strife above betwixt the god of war and queen of love.
3. Opposition; contrariety; contrast.
Artificial strife lives in these touches livelier than life.
4. The agitation produced by different qualities; as the strife of acid and alkali.

I think not, how many lost souls have ventured into forums such as these, to only go away more confused than when they first came in, how many hours, witnessing to the lost souls are taken away from us, by the time we spend in here trying to prove we know more about the bible than anyone else. :B and have we ever changed anyone's mind from the way they see the Bible to the way we see the Bible?? and is the way we see it really the TRUTH? And last but not least is God truely Edified By these tpyes of Forums??:(

What do you think ??

RabbiKnife
Nov 24th 2008, 09:38 PM
If this forum is not Biblical, then you have just sinned and need to repent.

Thaddaeus
Nov 24th 2008, 09:41 PM
If this forum is not Biblical, then you have just sinned and need to repent.
ye who are without sin cast the first stone
Ouch dude that hurt!!!!!!!!
We can have things and do things in the world without sinning, brother without it being biblical, I have money but money it self is not sin, but rather the love of money, or better, what we do with the money. we can encourage fellow christians in forums without strife, we can witness to the lost without strife, the forum itself is not a sin, but what some do with it is though and yes I am getting on my own toes here also.

CrossMaker
Nov 24th 2008, 09:43 PM
A message board is just a venue of communication.

Do not get caught up in the trap of confusing the actions of the individual with the tools in his/her possession.

RabbiKnife
Nov 24th 2008, 09:45 PM
Iron also sharpens iron.

This forum is not different that 99% of churches.

Some come to be edified, to learn, to encourage, to share, to support.
Some come to be seen in their nice clothes, flaunt the new BMW, and talk about life at the country club.
Some come to argue, bicker, and demonstrate their prideful knowledge.
Some come to be challenged, to test their faith, to grow.

Same, same.

P.S. Put some ice on that...it might leave a mark...

:pp

Thaddaeus
Nov 24th 2008, 09:57 PM
Iron also sharpens iron.

This forum is not different that 99% of churches.

Some come to be edified, to learn, to encourage, to share, to support.
Some come to be seen in their nice clothes, flaunt the new BMW, and talk about life at the country club.
Some come to argue, bicker, and demonstrate their prideful knowledge.
Some come to be challenged, to test their faith, to grow.

Same, same.

P.S. Put some ice on that...it might leave a mark...

:pp

why did you have to go and bring the churches into this, denominations are just man's pride that says we are lined up with the Bible more than anyone else, how else do we have one True Word from God and get 200 different beliefs out of it? "PRIDE"

got to go buy some Ice, LOL

karenoka27
Nov 24th 2008, 09:58 PM
There have been those who have come to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior on this very message board.

This board is a great place for Christians to come together from all over the world and share their love for our Lord.
We walk spiritually alongside one another, praying and encouraging one another. We laugh together and rejoice as well as weep together here.

And yes, on occasion we disagree...but at the end of the day, we love the Lord ...and each other.

drew
Nov 24th 2008, 10:05 PM
I think these forums are indeed Biblical. It is unrealistic to not expect to be challenged and re-work your views as a result of engaging in these kinds of interactions. The story set forth in the Scriptures is deeply complex and subtle, despite what I suggest is the naive belief that "it has to be simple".

It is better to be continually learning, and where necessary, being corrected, than to be comfortable and go off less equipped than you should be to preach the gospel to others.

Speaking for myself, I have changed my views on a number of key doctrines through such forums. When you find someone who never has changed their mind, you have found someone stuck in pride.

TrustGzus
Nov 24th 2008, 10:21 PM
The Bible doesn't directly address internet Bible forums. Is there strife? Sure. Does that make forums unbiblical? Well, as another member pointed out, churches have strife. So are churches unbiblical? Not at all.

Forums like this can be a good place for people to grow. I have many views that can be argued over with great heat and little light. I like the King James Version. Others think we should use only the King James Version and that modern versions are perversions. I disagree entirely. I think most modern versions are fine to use.

I believe in premillennielism. I also believe in the pre-tribulation rapture of the church. People argue with a lot of heat, little light and little love over this.

People have different views over tongues or Calvinism.

This is a place to learn to discuss, debate or argue but to do so with love, while shedding light on the issue and to do so without adding heat to the discussion.

People are at different levels of development. Some people think the rapture is as important as the deity of Jesus. Identifying the timing of the rapture is simply not as important as identifying whether the Jesus of the Bible matches that of Evangelicals, the Watchtower, the Mormons or some other group.

This is a place for mature Christians to demonstrate to the less mature how to discuss the issues and do so with sound reasoning and without throwing around insults or taking shots below the belt.

So, in summary, these forums aren't either biblical or unbiblical. The issue is that some people behave in a mature fashion; others do not. Every post we make falls somewhere between the extremes of mature and immature.

Thaddaeus
Nov 24th 2008, 10:34 PM
[quote=TrustGzus;1880203]The Bible doesn't directly address internet Bible forums. Is there strife? Sure. Does that make forums unbiblical? Well, as another member pointed out, churches have strife. So are churches unbiblical? Not at all.

I am sorry but it is real hard for me to believe that a pastor made this statement!!

If churches have strife within the church, this is very unbiblical

Mt 5:22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.Mt 5:23Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;Mt 5:24Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

and
Mt 18:15Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.Mt 18:16But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.Mt 18:17And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican.

to let strife remain in the Church is very unbiblical

even the strife between the different Churches is unbibical not the churches themselves but the confusion that is produced by their individual intreputations, and in their tearing down others churches is very very unbibical

Lu 9:49And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.Lu 9:50And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

and

Ac 5:38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: Ac 5:39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Literalist-Luke
Nov 24th 2008, 11:25 PM
Hebrews 10:24-25 - "Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Thaddaeus
Nov 24th 2008, 11:53 PM
Hebrews 10:24-25 - "Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

meeting with people in the same faith

2co 11:4 (http://bibleforums.org/2co+11:4)For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or an OTHER GOSPEL, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.Ga 1:6 (http://bibleforums.org/ga+1:6)I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto an OTHER GOSPEL:Ga 1:8 (http://bibleforums.org/ga+1:8)But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any OTHER GOSPEL unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.Ga 1:9 (http://bibleforums.org/ga+1:9)As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any OTHER GOSPEL unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Mt 10:5
These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded
them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mt 10:6But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.Mt 10:7And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Mt 10:8Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.Mt 10:9Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,Mt 10:10Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.Mt 10:11And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, inquire who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go thence.Mt 10:12And when ye come into an house, salute it.Mt 10:13And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.Mt 10:14And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Literalist-Luke
Nov 25th 2008, 12:02 AM
meeting with people in the same faithThat was implied.

mikebr
Nov 25th 2008, 12:19 AM
Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name.

CrossMaker
Nov 25th 2008, 12:26 AM
The Bible doesn't directly address internet Bible forums.

:lol: This made me smile.

I think it is prudent to use judgment and wisdom from the basic truths Jesus has laid out in His teachings, which can be applied to any situation today or in the future. There is no need for the Bible to specifically lay out a separate rule for each and every possible word, thought, product, service and technology that man will ever come up with.

kenrank
Nov 25th 2008, 12:41 AM
And last but not least is God truely Edified By these tpyes of Forums??:(

What do you think ??

I am trying to figure out how a MAN can edify God?

From the Ken Rank Free Dictionary:
Edify...to build up or instruct.

How do I instruct God?

Peace.
Ken

mikebr
Nov 25th 2008, 12:43 AM
And last but not least is God truely Edified By these tpyes of Forums??:(

What do you think ??

I am trying to figure out how a MAN can edify God?

From the Ken Rank Free Dictionary:
Edify...to build up or instruct.

How do I instruct God?

Peace.
Ken

God cannot be edified. The Church is to edify believers. This board does that sometimes.

IamBill
Nov 25th 2008, 12:44 AM
:hmm: Thing is, why would anyone become angry at another over these discussions, it clouds the perspective and closes the mind.

It seems to me that when two views have merit, It is not always because one is right and one is wrong, Both could be wrong because something is being overlooked or misinterpreted.
:dunno:

I take my "sig." Very seriously
There could be a beam in one of my eyes ...and the rest of the tree in the other, how about you ?

...(rhetorical, not addressing anyone)

kenrank
Nov 25th 2008, 12:45 AM
I know, it was rhetorical Mike. Of course a man can't edify God...I wasn't the one that said it!

Ken

mikebr
Nov 25th 2008, 01:02 AM
I know, it was rhetorical Mike. Of course a man can't edify God...I wasn't the one that said it!

Ken

I understood Ken, its just that there is this idea that God needs us. You said what I said first.

mikebr
Nov 25th 2008, 01:04 AM
:hmm: Thing is, why would anyone become angry at another over these discussions, it clouds the perspective and closes the mind.

It seems to me that when two views have merit, It is not always because one is right and one is wrong, Both could be wrong because something is being overlooked or misinterpreted.
:dunno:

I take my "sig." Very seriously
There could be a beam in one of my eyes ...and the rest of the tree in the other, how about you ?

...(rhetorical, not addressing anyone)

I completely understand. The older I get the less I know.;)

kenrank
Nov 25th 2008, 01:20 AM
I understood Ken, its just that there is this idea that God needs us. You said what I said first.

Did you know Mike, that there is a verse in the Talmud where the Rabbi's believe that God sits back and reads thier interpretations of his Torah? I am sure not all Rabbi's think that way, but enough did that it made it in there. A bit over the edge, huh?
Ken

mikebr
Nov 25th 2008, 01:25 AM
Did you know Mike, that there is a verse in the Talmud where the Rabbi's believe that God sits back and reads thier interpretations of his Torah? I am sure not all Rabbi's think that way, but enough did that it made it in there. A bit over the edge, huh?
Ken
Yeah that's pretty extreme. Its probably like reading the Sunday Funnies to God.

chad
Nov 25th 2008, 06:10 AM
If this forum is strife, then I would have to say so was the early church.

Remember the disagreement between Barnabas and Paul regarding John Mark. (Acts 15:36-40).

Remember the discussion regarding food sacrificed to idols (Acts 15:20)

Remember the discussion on circumcision (Acts 15:1)

Remember when Paul opposed peter to his face - becuase he through he was in the wrong (Gal 2:11)

Remember those questioning pauls Apostleship (2 Cor 12:11, 1 Tim 2:7)

Remember Pauls writing to the Galatians (Gal 5:15 NIV) If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

If strife and disagreement means we are unbiblical, then surely the early church must have been unbiblical as well? :rolleyes:

:hmm: Are Bible forums such as this one, Biblical?

STRIFE, n. [See Strive.]
1. Exertion or contention for superiority; contest of emulation, either by intellectual or physical efforts. Strife may be carried on between students or between mechanics.
Thus Gods contended, noble strife, who most should ease the wants of life.
2. Contention in anger or enmity; contest; struggle for victory; quarrel or war.
I and my people were at great strife with the children of Ammon. Judges 12.
These vows thus granted, raisd a strife above betwixt the god of war and queen of love.
3. Opposition; contrariety; contrast.
Artificial strife lives in these touches livelier than life.
4. The agitation produced by different qualities; as the strife of acid and alkali.

What do you think ??

Lamplighter
Nov 25th 2008, 06:58 AM

Remember the disagreement between Barnabas and Paul regarding John Mark. (Acts 15:36-40).

Remember when Paul opposed peter to his face - becuase he through he was in the wrong (Gal 2:11)

Remember Pauls writing to the Galatians (Gal 5:15 NIV) If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

If strife and disagreement means we are unbiblical, then surely the early church must have been unbiblical as well? :rolleyes:

Amen brother.

If you have read Acts through Revelation, you know the early church was full of strife and disagreements, but they still realized they were all brothers and sisters in Christ. You want to see some messed up Christian behavior, read Paul's 1 Corinthian letter.

angel_fire
Nov 25th 2008, 07:47 AM
To me, Church is everywhere. God is everywhere I am and I am everywhere He is.
In a Church, I get one point of view, in this place I get many points. If I get confused I simply look it up in my handy dandy Bible.

In Church I cannot speak my opinion, here I can. In the privacy of my home I can listen, learn, and set my own pace.
I can talk to people all over the world, in Church this is difficult.

I would say its very Biblical to talk about our Great King, and reach the unreachable. Amen!!!:pp

walked
Nov 25th 2008, 08:30 AM
Paul/Saul of Tarsis used forums in Macedonian cities teaching and debateing, with the purpose of converting souls and establishing churches in Europe.
In Asia and the MiddleEast city gates were forums, meeting places for learned discussions/exchanges and cities with synagogs the synagog on non sabath days were used for forums, meeting places for learned discussions/exchanges.

So forums were used in the bible for the same purpose this forom is being used for today.

TrustGzus
Nov 25th 2008, 02:21 PM
I am sorry but it is real hard for me to believe that a pastor made this statement!!

If churches have strife within the church, this is very unbiblical Go back and re-read my post, my friend. I never claimed strife was biblical. However, I did state that church's have strife and just because churches have strife, that doesn't make the church itself an unbiblical thing just because some people are misbehaving. Chad made great points about this in his post. Every church has some strife. Almost every single epistle Paul wrote comments on strife each church has. So do we throw out the church? Not at all.

Same with the forums. Sure they have strife. In fact, it appears this thread has strife. So we discuss and figure out what is the correct perspective on internet forums like this. If it is your conviction that it's wrong to have strife, then you need to remove yourself from this thread.

Grace & peace to you, Thaddaeus.

Joe

HisLeast
Nov 25th 2008, 03:18 PM
Sounds like you've got us pretty much figured out Thaddeus.

You're right of course. There's absolutely nothing scriptural or edifying about the praise forum (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13). After all, what do praise and thanksgiving do but cause strife? Psalms 7:17 "I will give to the LORD the thanks due to His righteousness, and sing praise to the name of the LORD, the Most High" ... must have meant in a cloistered room, away from other believers. Psalm 34:1 "I will praise the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth"... must have meant while not online of course. Neither Paul nor Peter would have bothered to share praise with the churches in Philippi, Corinth, Ephasus, Jerusalem, or Rome, would they?

There's absolutely nothing scriptural or edifying about the prayer forum (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28). What good is it to pray for one another? There's no such thing as intercession after all, is there? Nobody would have dared say something like "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (except James 5:16)

There's absolutely nothing scriptural or edifying about the teaching given on the Bible chat (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7) forum or Maturing in Christ (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=65) forum. That bit in 2 Timothy about all scripture being profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, etc... that doesn't really count at all. And besides, we're such know-it-alls that we don't really need instruction or guidance anyway, right?

There's absolutely nothing scriptural about the Apologetics forum (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14). Equipping God's people with the knowledge, wisdom, and practice to bring the gospel to the world is sin. Everyone knows you have to go it alone, and you should never consider the wise counsel of experience.

There's absolutley nothing scriptural or edifying about the Christian Answer (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39) forum. The lost, everyone knows, have no right to come to us with questions. We should not be ready with answers for them. All we have to do is trust that we are the elect, and the rest of the world is lost because it deserves to be. Their questions are illegitimate and only further demonstrate why they don't deserve straight answers.

There's nothing scriptural or edifying about The Vigil (http://bibleforums.org/group.php?groupid=12) social group. What business does a group of recovering porn addicts have encouraging, praying, and maintaining accountability amongst each other. Just proves once again how wrong James was to suggest we confess our sins and pray together.

Nope, there's not a single place on this whole board that is scripturally sound, nor edifying. We have no business praising together, praying for each other, confessing to one another, teaching and receiving instruction, and being accountable to one another. I'm glad you were here to point it out to us with such patience and wisdom. Everyone, its time to stop posting. Those of you who are sick and shut in... hopefully someone will come around to give you a sense of community... but in the meantime at least you're not sinning by being here. Those of you with nowhere to turn and need encouragement, accountability, and prayer.. I'm sure something will come around, just be sure to get Thaddeus' approval before interacting with anyone.

And most importantly, Thaddeus, if this is such a wicked and unworthy place, I challenge you to lead us out of it by example.

IMINXTC
Nov 25th 2008, 04:04 PM
This thread is a fine example of the discourse such a forum provides. It's good to discuss and prove all things, with an eye to edification.

I am also extremely convicted about the unbeliever who should cruise into forums to take a look, and have wrestled about how much I should participate on a public message board.

But if edification and encouragement is my goal, and fellowship with believers is my aim, then my contributions will be carefully seasoned with grace and my viewpoints will be fairly weighed with all other viewpoints.

Time and time again, many Christian sites will succumb to the same tendency that all Internet forums are rife with: a degeneration of the discussion into a fight, and an ensuing flurry of quote boxes and barely contained personal attacks. Alas. In this sense, no, the Bible is not being represented, and the standards that apply to flesh-and-blood gatherings and assemblies are not being obeyed. Many threads also contain wonderful scholarship and tremendous biblical-insight that get quickly buried and subdued under the heavy hand of massive theological treatises often very hard to read or understand. And who can deny this persistent presence of intellectual high-mindedness so prevalent in any web traffic?

The Biblical place of discourse, in my view, is the local church, complete with all the gifts and positions of responsibility, which provide a certain checks-and-balances hardly even possible on the Internet. But the Internet is a wonderful and useful tool for the church, no-doubt.

As a relative new-comer to this sort of thing, having never had the time to devote to it, I, as a Christian have come to really embrace forums for all the right reasons. But I will always advise caution and discernment.

"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." 1Cor 1:10

"And he gave some apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." Eph 4:11,12

"That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive." Eph 4:14

A word of appreciation for spell-checker:)

Friend of I AM
Nov 25th 2008, 04:31 PM
This thread is a fine example of the discourse such a forums provides. It's good to discuss and prove all things, with an eye to edification.

Isn't having an ear for edification as important as having an eye for it?

I am also extremely convicted about the unbeliever who should cruise into forums to take a look, and have wrestled about how much I should participate on a public message board.

This I agree with..

But if edification and encouragement is my goal, and fellowship with believers is my aim, then my contributions will be carefully seasoned with grace and my viewpoints will be fairly weighed with all other viewpoints.

I agree with this as well...

Time and time again, many Christian sites will succumb to the same tendency that all Internet forums are rife with: a degeneration of the discussion into a fight, and an ensuing flurry of quote boxes and barely contained personal attacks.

Isn't that a vieled personal attack above?

Alas. In this sense, no, the Bible is not being represented, and the standards that apply to flesh-and-blood gatherings and assemblies are not being obeyed.

Agreed.

Many threads also contain wonderful scholarship and tremendous biblical-insight that get quickly buried and subdued under the heavy hand of massive theological treatises often very hard to read or understand. And who can deny this persistent presence of intellectual high-mindedness so prevalent in any web traffic?

I'll deny it..

The Biblical place of discourse, in my view, is the local church, complete with all the gifts and positions of responsibility, which provide a certain checks-and-balances hardly even possible on the Internet. But the Internet is a wonderful and useful tool for the church, no-doubt.

For some people the internet can be good for assembly and worship. If you're more introverted than extroverted..I'd say this might be a good place to start for edification with others. You need to find good sites and good forums though. Praise and prayer forums I find can be very edifying. It's the biblical discussion forums that seem to contain the most strife. I've seen threads in biblical discussion forums go on in here for ad-infinitum with the individuals discussing usually the same thing over and over again, even after a prevelant point has been made. I think perhaps creating a posting limit per user might be in order for those types of forums.

As a relative new-comer to this sort of thing, having never had the time to devote to it, I, as a Christian have come to really embrace forums for all the right reasons. But I will always advise caution and discernment.

"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." 1Cor 1:10

"And he gave some apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." Eph 4:11,12

"That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive." Eph 4:14

Amen to the above.

A word of appreciation for spell-checker:)

too bad they don't have a grammar checker....

chad
Nov 25th 2008, 06:45 PM
The thing I like about Forums such as this is that you are allowed to ask questions, any questions.

There are many questions you can ask here and people will attempt to give you an answer, that you couldn't possibly ask at chuurch. If you can't get the answers from church, then that leaves a big hole in your faith.

Finding answers to questions, builds faith. It stregnthens your belief in God.

Someitmes I have asked a question in church and you don't really get an answer. Maybe one or two verses from the bible given in one or two mintues and thats it.

If we don't know the answers to our own questions, how then can we possibly share the answers with others who are seeking the faith.

If we are unsure of the what the word of God says, how can you possibly share it with others?

Chad :rolleyes:

In Church I cannot speak my opinion, here I can. In the privacy of my home I can listen, learn, and set my own pace.
I can talk to people all over the world, in Church this is difficult.

I would say its very Biblical to talk about our Great King, and reach the unreachable. Amen!!!:pp

Thaddaeus
Nov 27th 2008, 06:58 AM

Read on most of these except maybe the one about john mark wrere worked with with all involved walking away in accordance with each other

chad
Nov 27th 2008, 07:54 AM
Later on Paul and John Mark worked things out as well. (2 Tim 4:11 NIV)

Read on most of these except maybe the one about john mark wrere worked with with all involved walking away in accordance with each other

Thaddaeus
Nov 27th 2008, 03:14 PM
Later on Paul and John Mark worked things out as well. (2 Tim 4:11 NIV)
so if your point is ; in the Bible they discuss things so that all be be on the same page, or were all marching to the same beat , I agree that is my point. I started a thread one day asked one question I got 12 pages of two guys debating once saved always saved,

HisLeast
Nov 27th 2008, 07:20 PM
so if your point is ; in the Bible they discuss things so that all be be on the same page, or were all marching to the same beat , I agree that is my point. I started a thread one day asked one question I got 12 pages of two guys debating once saved always saved,

So a couple doctrinal disagreements nullifies all value this forum provides? All that praise. All the sharing of prayers. All the confession and maintaining of accountability between brethren. All that is a complete wash?

If this is the standard by which communities of believers are to be judged as biblical or not, then I shudder to think what will happen when someone with similar bias walks into my church, or yours Pastor Keith, and witness two people debating scripture. In that fell moment, the credibility of all churches everywhere is called into question and any time two or more people gather together, it will be "unbiblical"

Zack702
Nov 27th 2008, 07:34 PM
Well yea there biblical in that God knows we need each other to help each other sometimes.

Do unto others as you would unto you.
I try to keep a open mind here at the forums but I have faith in a few things about my bible. One is that God is allmighty. And two that angels or spirits or however you prefer to view them do indeed hear and see us and are quite capable of helping us just as we are each other.

Certainly if we hold no grudge against one another then our arguments and our disagreements we might have are simply a part of communicating on a somewhat more open manner.

But the one thing that tops all of our understandings and our disagreements is that we are comming together here and we are believers of the Lord of hosts. And with faith in God we will help one another to enrich our study and also enjoy one another in our understandings.

The internet is like most everything in the world it can be the cause of good and it can be the cause of evil. But it is good to recognize the good and to repent from evil as we grow and understand it.

Certianly this forum is a good thing which has given us the opportunity to come together and to bring something positive out of our internet experience. And for this I am thankfull to have the opportunity to thank all of the board administrators and the webmasters of this site.

chad
Nov 27th 2008, 08:20 PM
Hi Thaddaeus,

I guess what i'm saying is that Forums such as this can be beneficial. Other peoples views and opinions may shed light on the word of God, that you may not see or may have missed.

This forum is only a reflection of the views held by the wider Christian community in general. Scholars and theologians all over the world have disagreements and different views on what the scripture means.

Disagreements have been a part of the church throughout history. The process used to canonize the bible: Books were included, than later on rejected. We have different bibles which people consider are 'the cannon' that exist today, some have more books included than others.

We have different denominations, which have slightly differering beliefs. Eg. Catholics, Protestants, Anglicans, Lutherans, Pentecostals, Presbeterians, Orthodox...

The point is that not everyone agrees on everything. Just because we all don't agree - does that make it unbiblical, because if it does than the church throught history is unbiblical.

Chad.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77