PDA

View Full Version : Why did God give us the ability to dream

catlover
Jan 21st 2009, 02:40 AM
I know the instances in the Bible that God uses dreams to convey messages to people, but why do you think, in general, He made our minds to be able to dream. Most dreams that I have are really wierd and make no sense at all. Sometimes I can't even remember what I dreamed. Any thoughts?

SeattleSun
Jan 21st 2009, 03:05 AM
I know the instances in the Bible that God uses dreams to convey messages to people, but why do you think, in general, He made our minds to be able to dream. Most dreams that I have are really wierd and make no sense at all. Sometimes I can't even remember what I dreamed. Any thoughts?

Me too on the dream thing. I can't testify to any dreams, except one. But I truly believe that dogs dream, I've seen too much evidence to think otherwise. That being said, I have to think that dreams are not reserved for us.

But what is the purpose? I don't have a clue except He purposes certain people. I just marvel at sleep ... in His kindness we have sleep. So do flowers. I truly marvel how the flowers, even those we call weeds, close up at sunset and open to the sun the next morning. Why do we taste so much variety? Why do we see colors? Maybe so we can know who He is and how much He loves us and all of His creation. All for His glory.

You're asking a question and I'm not being at all helpful. I'm sorry. :hug: But its something I've pondered and simply wanted to give praise.

Now Daniel is another matter entirely concerning dreams.

karenoka27
Jan 21st 2009, 04:33 AM
There may be many reasons why God allows us to dream.
I've had two dreams in my life where I believe they were directly from God giving me direction.

My other dreams and I've been having them a lot lately,seem to sort out things that have been going on in my life. I like to write them down and go back and see why I dreamed this or that. It helps me to put things in perspective. I get a good laugh out of how some situation ended up in my dream the way it did.

Biastai
Jan 21st 2009, 05:02 AM

The strangeness and nonsense of dreams come from the fact that dreams are the product of your childish mind at work. As a child, we used words as objects, i.e. putting 2 words into 1, mixing them together. When these wordplays become our images we see in dreams, we'll see some pretty weird stuff. For example, I bought a package of diapers at the market called "Swaddlers." That night, I dreamt of someone changing a baby's diaper but the waistband was high up on the baby's shoulders closing over its arms. Puzzled as I was upon waking, I realized the child in me must've thought diapers called "swaddlers" were swaddling diapers!

As for why God may have designed this, these childish wishes and memories need to "come out and play" since they never really fade away completely. This is why you may have noticed, in the flying dream we fly in a rising and falling motion (memories of a seesaw) and in the imfamous naked dream other passers-by seem indifferent to our awkward state (memory of a time we were naked without shame as infants).

Julian
Jan 21st 2009, 05:25 AM
A lot of what you dream about has to do with what you take in or put into your brain. I noticed that as I have gotten away from all the junk of the world, that my dreams are less weird and more sensible. What you take in effects you - good or bad.

The more truth you take in and consider in your mind, especially right before bed, the more you'll think about that and have it come up in your dreams.

He gave us the ability because it is a method, as you said, to speak to us. But not everything we dream is from God - much of it is our mind processing (in it's own way) those things in our heart and thinking.

Ever read any accounts from scripture about people having dreams from God? Joseph had a few and he was able to get out of town before men came to kill Jesus - shortly after his birth news.

crystalbrite
Jan 21st 2009, 05:33 AM

I think the primary purpose of dreaming is so your subconscious mind can work out problems that your conscious mind can't/won't look at. However, I can attest that God definitely uses dreams to comunicate with us at times, probably for the same reason as the primary purpose I mentioned. At least in my case, that's how it was. God couldn't get through to my conscious mind because it was too full of garbage and clutter. But, my subconcious mind was paying attention.

angel_fire
Jan 21st 2009, 06:00 AM
The body may sleep, however the mind never does. I think dreams are the windows to the other world, the spirit world. The world where impossibilities become possible.
Dreams are a tiny window into the unknown. A mystery.
Like a Plane without a pilot, or a ship without a captain, so are dreams. Dreams have no where to go, they are blown by the breeze catching different images as they blow by, and and arranging them in chaotic order.:)

crossnote
Jan 21st 2009, 06:20 AM
The only NT scriptural explanation for giving dreams is because you are old men!!! :lol::bounce::pp

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
(Act 2:17)

crystalbrite
Jan 21st 2009, 06:46 AM
The only NT scriptural explanation for giving dreams is because you are old men!!! :lol::bounce::pp

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
(Act 2:17)

Hehehe! Very funny! :lol:

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77