PDA

View Full Version : trials of Job lasted how long ?

Mystery Guest
Feb 24th 2009, 11:37 PM
As far as I know the bible does not say how long the trials Job endured lasted . I always thought it was a very long time .I met someone who believes all of these things happened in a short time ...if so , WOW ! If not WOW again ! I suppose if the sky is falling a bit at a time for a long period it would be better if it fell , "all at once" and got it over with ..:hmm:
Any thoughts ?
Respectfully submitted ,
Mystery Guest

HisLeast
Feb 25th 2009, 12:06 AM
As far as I know the bible does not say how long the trials Job endured lasted . I always thought it was a very long time .I met someone who believes all of these things happened in a short time ...if so , WOW ! If not WOW again ! I suppose if the sky is falling a bit at a time for a long period it would be better if it fell , "all at once" and got it over with ..:hmm:
Any thoughts ?
Respectfully submitted ,
Mystery Guest

WOW! I hadn't even thought of this. What an excellent thought exercise.

My first impression is that it happened over perhaps a short number of years. Here's why....
- At the start of the story Job has children already of age old enough to host their own parties. Assuming they're in their late teens early 20's we'll assume Job is in the range of late 30's through 40's.
- Job seems to lose everything very quickly, but we don't know how long it took for his friends to arrive.
- Everything after the loss of "everything" happens in the context of Job's discussion with his friends. I can't imagine his friends stayed with him for years.
- Job's restoration appears to happen relatively quickly.
- Job is gifted with a second set of children, so he was at least young enough to have them and watch them grow up... which means he couldn't have been that older than when the story started.

How's that? :)

tgallison
Feb 25th 2009, 01:46 AM
Any thoughts ?
Respectfully submitted ,
Mystery Guest

Between the time Satan was given permission and the time of the first test was not given. All was taken in one day from Job. The time from the first test to the second was not given, but one would guess it was short.

The friends heard of Job's distress and arrange to come together to mourn and comfort Job. How long this took is not specified. Also we don't know if they had heard of the results of only the first test, or whether it was after the second test. We know that they spent 7 days and seven nights in silence mourning Job. One might assume the speeches took one day, but that might not be so either.

Best regards, Terrell

Mystery Guest
Feb 25th 2009, 02:24 AM
Thank you both for your responses . I am still studying and thinking about this whole thing...I look forward to more responses .

Thanks again ,

moonglow
Feb 25th 2009, 03:45 AM
Yes all the tragedies happened in one day...seems pretty clear on that:

Job 1

13 One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting at the oldest brother’s house, 14 a messenger arrived at Job’s home with this news: “Your oxen were plowing, with the donkeys feeding beside them, 15 when the Sabeans raided us. They stole all the animals and killed all the farmhands. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

16 While he was still speaking, another messenger arrived with this news: “The fire of God has fallen from heaven and burned up your sheep and all the shepherds. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

17 While he was still speaking, a third messenger arrived with this news: “Three bands of Chaldean raiders have stolen your camels and killed your servants. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

18 While he was still speaking, another messenger arrived with this news: “Your sons and daughters were feasting in their oldest brother’s home. 19 Suddenly, a powerful wind swept in from the wilderness and hit the house on all sides. The house collapsed, and all your children are dead. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

I figured the long talks with his friends happened over a few days at least...oh wait I forgot about him breaking out in boils in the next chapter...then his friends show up (some friends...:rolleyes:) While I would have to read through again to see if their is a time line...something like they ate and slept there for so many days, I never got the impression it went on for a long period of time.

Now when Job had more children...obviously that takes time...but the bad stuff seemed to be over with fairly quickly...

God bless

th1bill
Feb 25th 2009, 06:52 AM
... Food for thought. A woman in these times might be married as early as thirteen or fourteen and a man was not allowed to read the Song of Solomon until he was thirty years of age because he was still considered to be a young lad. So it is possible that Job was forty-five or older when his last child was born and the mother only being about thirty.so before the last child reached twenty, Job would be in His mid-sixties and the Job's wife about fifty.
... I've never looked into it but I have often heard it taught that the book of Job is the oldest book of the Bible. I find that important because of the declining life span of man over the centuries covered in the old testament and another, very important, factor to remember is that Job served the same God that Abraham and Sarah served. Sarah did not give birth to Isaac until her womb should have been dead for many years. And then after Abraham buried Sarah, he sired seven more, I think is the count, sons.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77