PDA

View Full Version : where should I start

god4life
Apr 8th 2009, 02:41 PM
hi people
I have a been a christian for a while but I feel I should be reading my bible more. I was wondering where should I start because I don't want to read cover to cover and I don't want to open a page randomly, so does anyone know a good place to start or any books/chapters which would be a good starting point/ be really useful for a newbie?

HisLeast
Apr 8th 2009, 03:27 PM
Hey G4L,

Is there a particular reason you're averse to a cover-to-cover reading?

David Taylor
Apr 8th 2009, 03:31 PM
hi people
I have a been a christian for a while but I feel I should be reading my bible more. I was wondering where should I start because I don't want to read cover to cover and I don't want to open a page randomly, so does anyone know a good place to start or any books/chapters which would be a good starting point/ be really useful for a newbie?

I would suggest reading the N.T. before the O.T.

It is an easier read, doesn't get bogged down heavily with the geneologies, wars, and cultural aspects of ancient Israel that we in present day are pretty far removed from...and it reading the N.T. first will make alot of O.T. stuff come alive, and make easier sense when you get to reading the O.T.

The N.T. reveals and explains alot of stuff that was clouded and veiled in the O.T.; that you might miss if you start there first.

Plus, with Jesus being so much more the focus of nearly all of the N.T. verses (as opposed to Israel and its national issues being the most written about focus of the O.T.), you as a new Christian will find it a much more refreshing and easy read to stay connected with.

ears2hear
Apr 8th 2009, 03:32 PM
When I first started reading the bible, I started with the smaller books first. Jonah, 1,2,3 John etc. I really like reading Genesis. Ruth is small, too. I just found it wasn't overwhelming that way. God bless you as you read!:hug:

markedward
Apr 8th 2009, 03:38 PM
If you want a roughly chronological story:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy,
Joshua, Judges, Ruth,
Samuel, Kings, Jonah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, (Complemented by Chronicles),
Esther, Ezekiel, Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah,
then the rest of the "minor" prophets, end with Malachi.
Throw in the other books (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Songs) now and then.

If you want to, try reading 1 Maccabees here. It isn't canon, but it fills in the information between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

The gospels,
Acts, (Complemented by the epistles),
The Revelation

keck553
Apr 8th 2009, 03:50 PM
OK, this is going to sound unorthodox, but I want to give a suggestion. Talk to God. All the time. Bring Him in on every decision you make. Tell Him what you are up to today. Even if you are going to the store for a loaf of bread, tell Him what you are doing. Ask Him questions. If you are wondering what to do with an idea, ask Him. He wants to be intimately involved with your life. He is an amazing God. He will never be bored with you. He will never lose patience with you. It takes a while to detect His response, and He does it in a way that is unique to each of us. It's very personal. Read the Bible, in the Old Testament, look for His mercy and grace and try to find His Son. He's there. In the New Testament, look for the Old Testament Father's right hand, the Shadow of His wings. He's there, in person. Try to understand what He was feeling, what He was trying to say to the ones who He entrusted His revelations to at Sinai.

It takes time to develop any relationship, and the more time you spend with whom you love, the more you find out about each other.

Once I knew God intimately, I was amazed at how the Bible read to me. Before it was just a book. People said it was alive, but i didn't detect it. But truely, after I came to know God, the Bible truely came alive.

crossnote
Apr 9th 2009, 07:03 AM
hi people

The bible is not a book of disjointed facts such as sheep, ephods and temples. It's focus and central theme from beginning to end is a story of rescue and redemption (even for you) through God's Son. Keep that central and you will see the scriptures makes a whole lot of sense.
I would start with the book of Romans especially chapters 1-11. Romans is the bible in a nutshell. Good follow up are Genesis, John, Galatians, Acts, Ephesians, Psalms, Hebrews.

Teke
Apr 9th 2009, 02:14 PM
I read what Jesus had to say first. :)

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77