PDA

View Full Version : The Our Father

Eben
Apr 8th 2009, 06:06 PM
We read in Mat.6:12:
Mat 6:12 Forgive us the wrongs we have done, as we forgive the wrongs that others have done to us.
Then we read in Eph.
Eph 4:32 Instead, be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ.
In the first we ask to be forgiven as we forgive others. In the second it is the other way around.
Why the difference and what is the implication.

cajunman4life
Apr 8th 2009, 10:43 PM
Take a look at Matthew 6:14-15, which reads:

14 For if ye forgive me their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

So, given this, I don't think there is a difference. Which means there is no implication. Both are telling you to forgive others that have done wrong by you.

Eben
Apr 9th 2009, 04:47 AM
I am not sure what you are saying, what you havequoted just confirms that which I am saying. In Mat. you must forgive others then He will forgive you but if you dont forgive then He will not forgive you.
But in Eph Paul says forgive others like Christ has forgiven you.

The question is why is there this difference.

cajunman4life
Apr 9th 2009, 05:28 AM
I am sorry, I may have misunderstood the original question, however, I believe I understand now. Let me take another stab at it.

Ephesians was written by Paul while he was imprisoned in Rome to the church in Ephesus. Paul's primary goal in the writing of the letter was to encourage setting a good Christian example in the way we live and handle life's many challenges.

Ephesians 1:7 states "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"

We know that we're saved from our sin through the blood of Jesus. In Eph 4:17-32, the Apostle is telling the church at Ephesus (and indeed us) how to "walk" like a Christian. He's saying as Christ has forgiven us (through the shedding of his blood on the cross), we should forgive each other.

Jesus, in Matthew's gospel, was teaching us that we can't possibly expect the Father to forgive our sins if we can't find it in our hearts to forgive those who have "sinned against us."

So, as I'm putting all this together in my mind, I don't see a "difference" really. Maybe someone else does.

I think, taken in context, that they are both saying the same thing, only Paul uses an example in his explanation (whereas Christ could not, as he was the "example").

I don't pretend to know everything, so please, let me know if I'm still not answering your question for you. :hmm:

crossnote
Apr 9th 2009, 06:19 AM
We read in Mat.6:12:
Mat 6:12 Forgive us the wrongs we have done, as we forgive the wrongs that others have done to us.
Then we read in Eph.
Eph 4:32 Instead, be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ.
In the first we ask to be forgiven as we forgive others. In the second it is the other way around.
Why the difference and what is the implication.

This is a tricky passage. In Matthew the multitudes are being addressed. In Ephesians Christians (forgiven sinners) are being addressed.
To the Ephesians it is assumed that they will be forgivng for Christ has forgiven them. In Matthew it comes across more of a warning to the multitudes. ..'forgive' and you will be forgiven. 'Forgive not' and neither will you be forgiven.
Hope this helps :B

cajunman4life
Apr 9th 2009, 01:32 PM
This is a tricky passage. In Matthew the multitudes are being addressed. In Ephesians Christians (forgiven sinners) are being addressed.
To the Ephesians it is assumed that they will be forgivng for Christ has forgiven them. In Matthew it comes across more of a warning to the multitudes. ..'forgive' and you will be forgiven. 'Forgive not' and neither will you be forgiven.
Hope this helps :B

Hmm... that angle may have been easier to explain :B

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77