PDA

View Full Version : For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us

Partaker of Christ
Apr 8th 2009, 11:36 PM
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

If I am reading his correctly, it would seem that the Christians in Jerusalem, continued to submit to certain Jewish customs, that the Gentile Christians did not have to keep.

I have often wondered why?
It is a kind of us and them, but in Christ, there is neither Jew nor Gentile.

My thoughts are this; Could it be that while Jerusalem was still alive (standing), it still had God's anointing as a nation. I am thinking of David and Saul. David would not kill or usurp King Saul, as long as he was still alive. For King Saul was still God's anointed government.

1Sa 24:9 And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men's words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt?
1Sa 24:10 Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD'S anointed.

Why would God keep David under the rule of Saul as King for a time?
I believe it could be that David, had to first learn how to recognise and submit to authority, before he could 'fully' be in authority.

Authority, comes out of submission.
If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
For he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.
He who is the greatest among you, shall be your servant.

Matt 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
Matt 2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
Matt 2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

Emanate
Apr 8th 2009, 11:40 PM
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

If I am reading his correctly, it would seem that the Christians in Jerusalem, continued to submit to certain Jewish customs, that the Gentile Christians did not have to keep.

You may have answered your own question. Jewish believers in the first century still held their us and them mentality. Therefore, they believed that them (gentiles) must become as us (jews) in order to worship "our" God.

Firstfruits
Apr 9th 2009, 10:13 AM

My thoughts are this; Could it be that while Jerusalem was still alive (standing), it still had God's anointing as a nation. I am thinking of David and Saul. David would not kill or usurp King Saul, as long as he was still alive. For King Saul was still God's anointed government.

1Sa 24:9 And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men's words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt?
1Sa 24:10 Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD'S anointed.

Why would God keep David under the rule of Saul as King for a time?
I believe it could be that David, had to first learn how to recognise and submit to authority, before he could 'fully' be in authority.

Authority, comes out of submission.
If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
For he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.
He who is the greatest among you, shall be your servant.

Matt 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
Matt 2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
Matt 2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

The apostles and elders came together and Peter asked this question.

Acts 15:9 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=44&CHAP=15&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=9) And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Acts 15:10 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=44&CHAP=15&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=10) Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

As you have said in Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile, so who therefore was causing the division?

Who was teaching what they ought not to have been teaching?

Acts 15:24 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=44&CHAP=15&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=24) Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

God bless you!

Firstfruits

dan
Apr 14th 2009, 01:58 PM
These are the teachings of the Holy Spirit. We should obey them.

Firstfruits
Apr 14th 2009, 03:59 PM

We should, but do we?

Firstfruits

Partaker of Christ
Apr 14th 2009, 09:09 PM

Tomlane
Apr 14th 2009, 11:26 PM
If a person will take the time and read the full chapter of Act 15 its obvious the Jews are no aware of God including the Gentiles into his grace. That started in Acts chapter 10. The Saved Jews wanted to know if the Gentiles would be under the burden of the law as they were. After a meeting with the Holy Spirit, the Jews, along with Paul and Peter it was determined they would only have to keep the four things afore mentioned. We must remember, not all knowledge of grace and the church was not revealed in one hour or one day but over a period of time is why the seemingly contradictions. Please notice and this is important, no ordinances were included in things to do. Such a the Jewish, ceremonial baptism of water or passover, {communion the way it is done today was not done then} or any other Jewish law or ordinance was laid upon any Gentile believer and now that the law has been nailed to the cross and all ordinances contained within the law was abolished. And they still are. With additional knowledge from the inspiration given to Paul we now know we are to walk in newness of our life that is hid in Christ and have no confidence in the flesh.

Philippians 3:3 *For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

Ephesians 2:15 *Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Tomlane

dan
Apr 15th 2009, 06:53 AM
We should, but do we?

Firstfruits

Interesting, eh?

Denomination wise, probably, no large organized group, either teaches or recognizes all of the direction given us by the Bible.

No one is righteous, no, not one.

2TIM 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2TIM 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

JAS 1:16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
JAS 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

PHIL 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Bladers
Apr 15th 2009, 02:18 PM
EVERYONE missed verse 28, that is the only verse that matters. "For it seems good to the Holy Ghost and to us"

That is the fellowship that they had with the Holy Ghost. Every action they did, they let Him know and took His input.

WE NEED THAT FELLOWSHIP OF THE HOLY SPIRIT PAUL TALKED ABOUT!

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77