PDA

View Full Version : How to we know prophecies and their fulfillment to be true?

jazz jasper
Apr 9th 2009, 02:41 AM
Hi,

Before I start, I am a believer, but I wish I could speak to other people on a more human level about my faith.

My question is how do we know that the fulfillments of the prophecies in the new testament actually happened? How do we know that the people who wrote the scriptures didn't just pretend that the prophecies were fulfilled. Perhaps they copied them out?

Does anyone know the history about the bible? Did the people who wrote the gospels and wrote of prophecy being fulfilled have access to the old testament? Could it be that its unfair to say Christianity is the only faith where prophecies are fulfilled because we have no proof that they actually were?

What is the history? HELP!!!

Thanks

Jazz

moonglow
Apr 9th 2009, 03:04 AM
Hi,

Before I start, I am a believer, but I wish I could speak to other people on a more human level about my faith.

My question is how do we know that the fulfillments of the prophecies in the new testament actually happened? How do we know that the people who wrote the scriptures didn't just pretend that the prophecies were fulfilled. Perhaps they copied them out?

Does anyone know the history about the bible? Did the people who wrote the gospels and wrote of prophecy being fulfilled have access to the old testament? Could it be that its unfair to say Christianity is the only faith where prophecies are fulfilled because we have no proof that they actually were?

Thanks

Jazz

We know the prophecies were fulfilled through historical and archaeological evidence that is how. The bible is in part a history book and gives such great detail on places and events and when they happened its expected to find that evidence and they have. The Dead Sea Scrolls they found in the 1940's are over 2000 years old and copies of the Old Testament..showing what we have now is correct and accurate.

Some sites to check out:Fulfilled Prophecies and Other Evidence that the Bible is the Word of God"] Fulfilled Prophecies and Other Evidence that the Bible is the Word of God (http://www.matthewmcgee.org/prophesy.html)

Oh I forgot to say too Jesus and the Disciples did have scrolls of the OT but alot of it was taught orally..word for word which was taken extremely seriously then. When they were trained they had to repeat OT passages over and over and over..there was no room for mistake. ever. But they did have copies to read from...all hand written of course so it wasn't something you could go pick up at the local street vendor...no book publishers then.

When was the Bible written and who wrote it? (http://www.carm.org/christianity/bible/when-was-bible-written-and-who-wrote-it)

Non-biblical accounts of New Testament events and/or people (http://www.carm.org/christianity/bible/non-biblical-accounts-new-testament-events-andor-people)

Can We Trust the New Testament as a Historical Document? (http://www.carm.org/christianity/bible/can-we-trust-new-testament-historical-document)

Wasn't the New Testament written hundreds of years after Christ? (http://www.carm.org/christianity/bible/wasnt-new-testament-written-hundreds-years-after-christ)

Hasn't the Bible been rewritten so many times that we can't trust it anymore? (http://www.carm.org/questions/about-bible/hasnt-bible-been-rewritten-so-many-times-we-cant-trust-it-anymore)

That ought keep you busy reading for a day or two..;)

God bless

jazz jasper
Apr 9th 2009, 03:09 AM
Fantastic! Thanks very much, I'll get reading.

Oma
Apr 9th 2009, 04:10 AM
Yes, the men that wrote the the NT books were Jews and knew the OT. They wrote the truth - if one supposes their writings to be an imposture then what foolish men they were, to bring persecution and suffering upon themselves. That wouldn't even be rational would it?
The resurrection of the Lord had many witnesses.
If you don't think the fulfilled OT prophecies in the NT are true, then do you believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God inspired by the Holy Spirit?
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 2 Tim 3:16 (KJV)

THOM
Apr 9th 2009, 04:36 AM
Hi,

Thanks

Jazz

Regarding your question, ". . .how do we know...?"

We know the same way a pagan raised Abraham knew to say, "I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you."

Now remember, GOD has told Abraham to go and sacrifice his only son to HIM. . .yet notice (go back and re-read) what Abraham said.

If you dont' believe GOD about what HE has already shown you, HE ain't gonna show you jack else.

THE ONLY PERSON GOD has to Impress
IS HIMSELF!

According to where Abraham was when he was about to Sacrifice Issac to God, we now know that Abraham could see (from where he was), Mt. Calvary. . .where JESUS CHRIST hung and died. . .now do you remember when JESUS told some of Abraham's (biological) children, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw [it], and was glad. (John 8:56)", hmmm, wonder what Abraham saw, just before he discovered "a ram caught in a thicket by his horns"?

It is written: "But without faith it is impossible to please HIM: for he that comes to GOD must believe that HE IS, and that HE IS a REWARDER of them that diligently seek HIM." You find this one. This is how you FIRST know. . .then everything else just kinda comes to you according to HIS PROMISE!

moonglow
Apr 9th 2009, 03:19 PM
Fantastic! Thanks very much, I'll get reading.

Hey on the first link I gave you...well it didn't work...messed up somehow. I fixed it but I will give it to you again here. Fulfilled Prophecies and Other Evidence that the Bible is the Word of God (http://www.matthewmcgee.org/prophesy.html)

You know guys...some people are lead to salvation by God that know little to nothing about the bible....and due to the widespread 'rumors' out there many question whether the bible is true or not..

Not all countries in the world even have bibles yet they have believers...you don't have to know the bible to be saved in other words, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt here.

God bless

jazz jasper
Apr 10th 2009, 01:19 AM
Regarding your question, ". . .how do we know...?"

We know the same way a pagan raised Abraham knew to say, "I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you."

Now remember, GOD has told Abraham to go and sacrifice his only son to HIM. . .yet notice (go back and re-read) what Abraham said.

If you dont' believe GOD about what HE has already shown you, HE ain't gonna show you jack else.

THE ONLY PERSON GOD has to Impress
IS HIMSELF!

According to where Abraham was when he was about to Sacrifice Issac to God, we now know that Abraham could see (from where he was), Mt. Calvary. . .where JESUS CHRIST hung and died. . .now do you remember when JESUS told some of Abraham's (biological) children, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw [it], and was glad. (John 8:56)", hmmm, wonder what Abraham saw, just before he discovered "a ram caught in a thicket by his horns"?

It is written: "But without faith it is impossible to please HIM: for he that comes to GOD must believe that HE IS, and that HE IS a REWARDER of them that diligently seek HIM." You find this one. This is how you FIRST know. . .then everything else just kinda comes to you according to HIS PROMISE!

You are preaching to the converted...

...But its people like you, who don't step outside the box and question every corner of your faith, that lead people to turn away from Jesus Christ.

Yes of course I believe in the bible and that its true but to people who want to question it, you cannot quote bible references at them because you're quoting what they are questioning.

We live in a world of facts, you can't say to the average person to just believe. So many people hate us because we just say 'believe' and don't have any hard evidence to back us up, take this for example...

A question I am often asked by non believers is how do we know that the new testament wasn't written by a group of people who decided to fulfill the old testament prophecies? How do we know they didn't just look at the old testament and say 'yeah lets make out that the prophecies were fulfilled and start a new religion.' After all we live in a very corrupt world.

The kind of answer I'm looking for is historical facts that tell us that it was written by many people separated by many years who had no contact with each other, facts about witnesses, etc. I can read the bible cover to cover but that doesn't mean that the new testament is an historical artifact? Where are the originals? Where did they come from? QUESTIONS!!!

We know that Christianity is the only faith where prophecies were fulfilled and that is our reasoning for it being the correct religion. So my point is, if that is why we are the correct religion where are the hard historical facts to back up that these prophecies were fulfilled?

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77