PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing a Bible.

KPB
Apr 9th 2009, 03:20 AM
Hi. I have never read the Bible. But I have always wanted to. There are a host of personal reasons that I feel im missing something in my life, and the one feeling I cant shake is that I need to get closer to God.

I picked up a King James Bible. I chose this version because I am also a history buff. I like the idea of knowing that this is the same bible all the great figures in history read. It is the bible the built the modern era. However, i have so little knowledge of the Bible, that it has proven just too hard to follow.

So, I got myself a New King James version. It is much easier to read, that is for sure. However, it is missing some stuff that really drew me to the particular KJV that I picked up, which had a "where to turn" section, which is perfect for someone like me, because it helps give me direction when looking for guidance at the spur of a moment. The KJV I bought was also nice and thin (very thin paper) and had a very floppy, 'old friend' feel, whereas the NKJV I got to replace it, is much stiffer, and most importantly, is missing that "where to turn" section.

The KJV that I have is published by Holman, and is 4.5" by 6.5". Its perfect in every way other than that I cant understand it enough to get as much out of reading it! (I want small, so I can carry easily)

So im hoping someone may know of a NKJV that is the above size, is nice an floppy (rounded binding), hopefully has a ribbon, but most importantly, has something like the "where to turn" section, that gives advice as to what section to read "If you are feeling...."

Thanks!

cajunman4life
Apr 9th 2009, 03:46 AM
I'd recommend having a look at christianbook.com. You can sort by translation, then by other features you want. I recommend using multiple translations. I am primarily a KJV person, but also have NKJV and NASB translations (and I'm looking at getting an ESV). I do my preaching/teaching from the KJV, but read/study from just about all of them (comparing notes, etc).

Oma
Apr 9th 2009, 03:51 AM
I also had difficulty with the KJV when I started reading the Bible, but perserverance got me to the point where it became easy and I love the old English. Because of the poetic language it is also easier to memorize.

TheAnswer99
Apr 9th 2009, 03:58 AM
I REALLY like the NIV because it provides GREAT information at the bottom of each page. It explains definitions of words, cultural context, theology, history, and explanations of sayings and commands.

It would take me like an hour on the internet for every page if I had to look up all the info that it provides me

shepherdsword
Apr 9th 2009, 05:10 AM
Hi. I have never read the Bible. But I have always wanted to. There are a host of personal reasons that I feel im missing something in my life, and the one feeling I cant shake is that I need to get closer to God.

I picked up a King James Bible. I chose this version because I am also a history buff. I like the idea of knowing that this is the same bible all the great figures in history read. It is the bible the built the modern era. However, i have so little knowledge of the Bible, that it has proven just too hard to follow.

So, I got myself a New King James version. It is much easier to read, that is for sure. However, it is missing some stuff that really drew me to the particular KJV that I picked up, which had a "where to turn" section, which is perfect for someone like me, because it helps give me direction when looking for guidance at the spur of a moment. The KJV I bought was also nice and thin (very thin paper) and had a very floppy, 'old friend' feel, whereas the NKJV I got to replace it, is much stiffer, and most importantly, is missing that "where to turn" section.

The KJV that I have is published by Holman, and is 4.5" by 6.5". Its perfect in every way other than that I cant understand it enough to get as much out of reading it! (I want small, so I can carry easily)

So im hoping someone may know of a NKJV that is the above size, is nice an floppy (rounded binding), hopefully has a ribbon, but most importantly, has something like the "where to turn" section, that gives advice as to what section to read "If you are feeling...."

Thanks!
Take a look at this one:
http://books.rediff.com/bookshop/bkproductdisplay.jsp?pvvrnbr=4261&prrfnbr=80741506&multiple=false&source=browse&frompg=_#aboutheproduct

It is a Holman NKJV thin style like you were asking about

Izdaari
Apr 9th 2009, 05:12 AM
This would be my suggestion: a Cambridge Pitt Minion NKJV (http://www.bibledesignblog.com/2008/06/cambridge-pitt.html). It's compact, thin and floppy, and it'll last forever. There is one drawback: it isn't cheap, around $62 in burgundy French Morroco or $81 in black goatskin.

crossnote
Apr 9th 2009, 06:30 AM

If this is the case I wouldn't get too hung up on which bible has which goodies.
They all have what your missing in your quest to get closer to God. They all have a crucified and risen Savior which freely offers His grace and calls you to Himself. There are numerous treasures beyond belief found inside each one of those bibles.

Tomlane
Apr 9th 2009, 11:49 AM
We all need salvation first to be closer to God. After we are saved if we continue with our faith in Him and not some man on institution for understanding then God's Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth but first you have to be saved.

John 16:13 *Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

2 Timothy 2:15 *Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1 Corinthians 2:13 *Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 *But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Tomlane

KPB
Apr 10th 2009, 01:31 AM
If this is the case I wouldn't get too hung up on which bible has which goodies.
They all have what your missing in your quest to get closer to God. They all have a crucified and risen Savior which freely offers His grace and calls you to Himself. There are numerous treasures beyond belief found inside each one of those bibles.

I appreciate what your trying to say. But I think you may underestimate how helpful that particular "goodie" is to someone who has no one in particular in their life to look to for guidance about the Bible. Having a section that tells you that if you are feeling weak, read _____, or if you are feeling lonely, read _____, is more valuable than I think you understand. At least for me.

My heart's Desire
Apr 10th 2009, 03:20 AM
The only way to understand the Book is to know the Author of the Book. :) I have a NASB Version of the "Open Bible" which has in it a wealth of info. For example: Bible Study Helps, Biblical Cyclopedic Index, Read your Bible through in a Year, Harmony of the Gospels, Christian Life Study Outlines and notes, Teachings and illustrations of Christ, Prophecies of the Messiah Fulfilled in Christ, The Parables Jesus Told, The Scarlett Thread of Redemption, A Guide to Christian Workers, a Concordance as well as things like;
Jewish Calendar, Interesting and unusual Facts about the Bible, First Mentioned Things, Last Things, Laws of the Bible, Maps.
Not sure if these are common to all versions of "The Open Bible" but is very interesting.
Many different Publishers will put different kinds of helps in certain versions. I believe that one version of the ESV has a catagory of helps such as you seek. I've also seen them in the front of some Gideons New Testaments.
You might even try one of the Life Application Bibles in whatever Version you feel led to try.There are several Translations, but after picking out the Translation you want, then there are many, many features you can pick depending on the Publisher and even the date. Hope that helps.

crossnote
Apr 10th 2009, 05:50 AM
I appreciate what your trying to say. But I think you may underestimate how helpful that particular "goodie" is to someone who has no one in particular in their life to look to for guidance about the Bible. Having a section that tells you that if you are feeling weak, read _____, or if you are feeling lonely, read _____, is more valuable than I think you understand. At least for me.

I'm sorry I stand corrected. You might also look into a bible with a decent concordance or get a Strongs Concordance. They will help you look up passages with certain key words.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77