PDA

View Full Version : Scripture divinely inspired?

Rhyfelwr
Apr 9th 2009, 05:30 PM
I know 2 Timothy 3:16 states that all scripture is divinely inspired/god-breathed, but how do we know this applies to the NT as well as the OT? When Jesus refers to the scriptures, he could only have meant the Hebrew Bible, which IIRC is very similar to the Protestant OT.

Is there anything to suggest the NT is similarly divinely inspired?

David Taylor
Apr 9th 2009, 05:51 PM
Sure....Jesus spoke alot within the N.T.

Here is what Jesus said....

John 8:31 "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth"

John 14:23 "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

So it is clear that Jesus taught we should follow His teachings, that He spoke in the N.T.

What about the teachings of His followers? (The rest of the NT writings?)

Paul tells the Jews that his writings were also the Word of God, commanded to be taken out to all ends of the earth.

Acts 13:45 "But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth."

Notice that the apostles 'spoke the word of God' as empowered by the Holy Spirit:

Acts 4:31 "And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness."

Notice that when Philip preached the word of God to the Samaritans, he was preaching Jesus to them.

Acts 8:4 "Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word. Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God"

Paul preaches that the NT gospel writings was the Word of God.

Acts 11:16 "Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost."

Paul and Silas preached the gospel of Jesus as being the Word of the Lord.

Acts 16:31 "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house."

That's just a very few list of examples, out of dozens, that show the searching heart that the NT is equally divinely inspired and Word of God as is the O.T.

crossnote
Apr 10th 2009, 07:15 AM
I know 2 Timothy 3:16 states that all scripture is divinely inspired/god-breathed, but how do we know this applies to the NT as well as the OT? When Jesus refers to the scriptures, he could only have meant the Hebrew Bible, which IIRC is very similar to the Protestant OT.

Is there anything to suggest the NT is similarly divinely inspired?

Jesus put His approval on the OT. He also put His approval on Peter as the other apostles whose teachings Christ will build His Church. And Peter put his approval on Paul who wrote a bulk of the NT Epistles.

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
(2Pe 3:15-16)

Much of the NT is simply a fulfilling or reiteration of what was already spoken in the OT Scriptures...which points to Christ...Who points back to the OT.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77