PDA

View Full Version : Galatians 5:18

embankmentlb
Apr 9th 2009, 06:16 PM
Galatians 5:18

But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
True or False?

keck553
Apr 9th 2009, 06:25 PM
No you are not under the letter of Torah, you are now under the Author of Torah:

(Mat 28:18) And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

What does the Author tell us?

(Mat 5:18) "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

So, how do we respond?

(Joh 14:15) "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

Who's Spirit dwells in us? The Author's. Obey Him.

Be blessed.

Emanate
Apr 9th 2009, 06:33 PM

True or False?

Is the question wether or not the bible is the Word of God?

Of course we are not under the law. The law was never meant to be "over" us. As Messiah stated - The Sabbath was made for man (man over law) not man for the Sabbath (law over man).

Walstib
Apr 9th 2009, 06:33 PM
True... but it's not quite so simple.

You want to get into this it's all good. It will be a topic somewhere and it would be nice to have it in one or two locations instead of as many threads as possible.

Maybe share how you understand the phrases were used in this verse. How do you understand "under the law" or "led by the Spirit". Give us some more of the passage for discussion. I don't think the meat of the topic is not in a yes or no response if we are going to get root of this and find agreement with each other.

Just some suggestions to try and help this not be an battle but honest debate among family. :)

CommanderRobey
Apr 9th 2009, 07:09 PM
Of course Galatians 5:18 is true... As is all the rest of the Bible.

Like Walstib said, one needs to dig in and see what 'led of the Spirit' means, and what 'under the law' means.

If one is 'led of the Spirit', the fruit of the Spirit is going to be manifest in one's life.

One is going to allow the Spirit to instruct him or her through the Word of God.

Are we under the Law? Scripture says we are not. The law was our schoolmaster to bring us to faith in Christ, but once we came to faith in Christ, we were no longer under the schoolmaster. (Galatians 3:23-26).

Romans 7:1-4 declares that we are 'dead to the law that we might be married to another.' The one we are married to, once we come to faith in Christ, is Christ who rose from the dead. I might add here that just as Paul illustrates that a woman married to one man while living with another is committing adultery. One married to Christ while living under the Mosaic Law is also committing adultery... spiritual adultery.

The Galatians were said to be bewitched, or fascinated, to the point that they put themselves under the law. Paul called them foolish for putting themselves under the law. (Galatians 3:1-ff) Paul goes on in Galatians 3:10 and states that if one is under the works of the law, one is bound to continue in ALL the works of the law. James tells us if we are guilty of offending one point of the law, we are guilty of all.

Christ told the Pharisees, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, I am come to fulfil it." Look up the Greek for the word 'fulfil' and you will find that one of the definitions for fulfil is 'end'. Christ did not come to destroy the law, but to put an end to it.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

In Acts 15, we see Peter and the Jerusalem Council. The Pharisees that were members of the Jerusalem Council wanted the Gentile Disciples to be circumcised AND to keep the law of Moses. Peter emphatically tells them that the Gentile Disciples were not to be put under the yoke of the Mosaic Law. We know it is the Law Peter speaks of being the yoke because, being a Jew, Peter would have been circumcised when he was eight days old... as all Jews were. It was not the circumcision that Peter was unable to bear, so it had to be the law.

We know also that it was the law because no one to that day was able to keep the full law except Jesus Christ. The fact that they had to make sacrifices continually prior to the cross shows that the law was continually broken.

Are we under the law? According to Scripture, we are not.

faithfulfriend
Apr 9th 2009, 07:09 PM

True or False?

True.

We are no longer under the Mosaic law.

embankmentlb
Apr 9th 2009, 07:43 PM
Ok, It looks like according to Galatians 5:18 we all agree that we are not under the law.
So how does that square with the verse below.

Matthew 5:19
"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

How can both verses be true?

keck553
Apr 9th 2009, 07:47 PM
Because we now are now under the Author of the Law. The Administrator has changed. How much better is that? More than I can imagine.

embankmentlb
Apr 9th 2009, 08:23 PM
Because we now are now under the Author of the Law. The Administrator has changed. How much better is that? More than I can imagine.
"Author of the law" That seems very important. Can you give me a scripture for that?

keck553
Apr 9th 2009, 08:57 PM
"Author of the law" That seems very important. Can you give me a scripture for that?

Do you believe Jesus is God?

Partaker of Christ
Apr 9th 2009, 08:57 PM
Ok, It looks like according to Galatians 5:18 we all agree that we are not under the law.

"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Hi embankmentlb!

We are either under the law, or led by the Spirit.
The work of the law is to bring people to Christ, for how will they know sin, without the law. How will we know of our sickness, and our need of a physician?

How can we ever begin to grasp the love of God towards us, without understanding His Holiness, and His utter abhorrence of sin.

He who loves much, has been forgiven much.

Personally I am convinced, that the more we see, and understand His Holiness, the more we see the depth of His love, and our need of His Grace and Mercy.

embankmentlb
Apr 9th 2009, 09:07 PM
Hi embankmentlb!

The work of the law is to bring people to Christ, for how will they know sin, without the law. How will we know of our sickness, and our need of a physician?

How can we ever begin to grasp the love of God towards us, without understanding His Holiness, and His utter abhorrence of sin.

Personally I am convinced, that the more we see, and understand His Holiness, the more we see the depth of His love, and our need of His Grace and Mercy.

So when Jesus was speaking to the Jews in Matthew 5 they were people not led by the Spirit? Jesus is clearly saying they ARE under law & Galatians 5 says you can't be led by BOTH Christ & the Law.

cajunman4life
Apr 9th 2009, 10:08 PM
I'll just add my $0.02 in by quoting from Romans 6:14. We're not under law, but under grace.

mizzdy
Apr 9th 2009, 10:26 PM

Christ is God's Word spoken here on this earth just as God's Word was spoken on Sinai. Isa. 42 talks of the Lord's Servant, Christ Jesus, verse 4 says 'He will not fail nor be discouraged, Till He has established justice in the earth; And the coastlands shall wait for His law. And in verse 21 "The Lord is well pleased for His righteousness' sake; He will exalt the law and make it honorable." So Christ is the law in our hearts, always there guiding us in all His ways.

keck553
Apr 10th 2009, 12:07 AM
I'll just add my $0.02 in by quoting from Romans 6:14. We're not under law, but under grace.

The people of the Tanach were under the same grace.

embankmentlb
Apr 10th 2009, 12:11 AM
Hi embankmentlb!

Good stuff Brother!

embankmentlb
Apr 10th 2009, 12:13 AM
Of course Galatians 5:18 is true... As is all the rest of the Bible.

Like Walstib said, one needs to dig in and see what 'led of the Spirit' means, and what 'under the law' means.

If one is 'led of the Spirit', the fruit of the Spirit is going to be manifest in one's life.

One is going to allow the Spirit to instruct him or her through the Word of God.

Are we under the Law? Scripture says we are not. The law was our schoolmaster to bring us to faith in Christ, but once we came to faith in Christ, we were no longer under the schoolmaster. (Galatians 3:23-26).

Romans 7:1-4 declares that we are 'dead to the law that we might be married to another.' The one we are married to, once we come to faith in Christ, is Christ who rose from the dead. I might add here that just as Paul illustrates that a woman married to one man while living with another is committing adultery. One married to Christ while living under the Mosaic Law is also committing adultery... spiritual adultery.

The Galatians were said to be bewitched, or fascinated, to the point that they put themselves under the law. Paul called them foolish for putting themselves under the law. (Galatians 3:1-ff) Paul goes on in Galatians 3:10 and states that if one is under the works of the law, one is bound to continue in ALL the works of the law. James tells us if we are guilty of offending one point of the law, we are guilty of all.

Christ told the Pharisees, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, I am come to fulfil it." Look up the Greek for the word 'fulfil' and you will find that one of the definitions for fulfil is 'end'. Christ did not come to destroy the law, but to put an end to it.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

In Acts 15, we see Peter and the Jerusalem Council. The Pharisees that were members of the Jerusalem Council wanted the Gentile Disciples to be circumcised AND to keep the law of Moses. Peter emphatically tells them that the Gentile Disciples were not to be put under the yoke of the Mosaic Law. We know it is the Law Peter speaks of being the yoke because, being a Jew, Peter would have been circumcised when he was eight days old... as all Jews were. It was not the circumcision that Peter was unable to bear, so it had to be the law.

We know also that it was the law because no one to that day was able to keep the full law except Jesus Christ. The fact that they had to make sacrifices continually prior to the cross shows that the law was continually broken.

Are we under the law? According to Scripture, we are not.
Good is some stuff!

losthorizon
Apr 10th 2009, 12:46 AM
True or False?

Christians are not under TORAH (The Law) - that law was given to the Jews only and has been fulfilled by Messiah - made obsolete - and nailed to His cross. But Christians are under law – ie - ‘the law of Christ”. Christ’s law is based on the principles of faith and love and can be summed up in the words of John…
And this is his commandment, we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, even as he gave us commandment. 1 John 3:23

Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Gal 6:2

chad
Apr 10th 2009, 03:42 AM
True,

The purpose of the mosaic law was to lead us to Christ (Gal 3:24-25)

Jesus came so that we may be redeemed from the law (Gal 4:4-5)

Trying to gain justification from the law alienates us from Christ (Gal 5:4)

But if we are lead by the spirit we are not under the law (Gal 5:18)

In the new covenant, the law is written on our hearts (Heb 8:10-16)

True or False?

keck553
Apr 10th 2009, 08:38 PM
Funny, I am justified by faith and sanctified by obedience to God.

Your opinions are appreciated, but I'll go ahead and ignore man-made teachings and follow God and let Him do the works in me He chooses. I would rather rebel against false teachings than the Holy One.

Thanks!

Ethnikos
Apr 10th 2009, 08:51 PM
We are justified and sanctified by the same agency, which is the sprinkling of the blood. In the old testament, that was a method of making something sacred. It is also the method of being able to declare something to be free of sin.
There is a process that could be called sanctification, which would be how we grow in the spirit in preparation of eventually taking our places among the holy saints. We need to strive towards actually being what it is that we have already been declared to be. But, when it comes down to it, we can never use whatever progress we have made to become better people, as reason or evidence of our deserving to be admitted into the hall of the saints.

keck553
Apr 10th 2009, 08:56 PM
sounds good to me.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77