PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Is this planned suicide ?

djh22
Apr 10th 2009, 04:33 PM
"Therefore my Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from my Father. (John 10:17-18)":

Is this planned suicide ? or does Jesus know he was walking on the wild side of the Jews anyway ?
Does it give the green flag for others to commit suicide or euthanasia ?

God bless,
djh22

RabbiKnife
Apr 10th 2009, 04:34 PM
No.

asdf;lkjaasdf;lkj

karenoka27
Apr 10th 2009, 04:36 PM
Jesus did not commit suicide. He laid down His life. He was nailed to a cross. He didn't do it Himself.
He surrendered His will to the Father and it was the Father's will that He should die for the sins of man.

Our steps are ordered by God and we don't have the right to take our own lives. In His time we will be in His presence!:pp

djh22
Apr 10th 2009, 05:49 PM
No.

asdf;lkjaasdf;lkj

Sorry, but I don't understand what asdf;lkjaasdf;lkj , could you explain please.

djh22

RabbiKnife
Apr 10th 2009, 05:51 PM
Sorry, but I don't understand what asdf;lkjaasdf;lkj , could you explain please.

djh22

My response "no" is too short. The forum requires that each response be at least 15 characters long.

asdf;lkjaasdf;lkj are my fifteen characters!

djh22
Apr 10th 2009, 06:11 PM
Ahh right , thanks I'll remember that one.

Thanks,
djh22.

Laish
Apr 10th 2009, 10:13 PM
No what Jesus did was not suicide .
Suicide is a sad an selfish act, Manny times committed by people who through some form of self pity believe there is no option left .
What Jesus did was the direct opposite out of love not out of selfishness or some felling of self pity . Jesus died for us ! So we could live .
Hope that helps
Your brother in Christ
Bill

keck553
Apr 10th 2009, 10:18 PM
the penalty for sin is death. God is eternal and cannot 'die', but He figured out a way to pay your penalty for you. You know the rest of the story. I would call that life giving and beyond our comprehension of compassion and bravery.

suicide is usually indentified with cowardace.

THOM
Apr 11th 2009, 12:13 AM
"Therefore my Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from my Father.(John 10:17-18)":

Is this planned suicide ? or does Jesus know he was walking on the wild side of the Jews anyway ?
Does it give the green flag for others to commit suicide or euthanasia ?

God bless,
djh22

Thanks djh22 for starting this Thread (I read your post in the OThd).

Suicide, I believe, is where/when you take your own life. . .but you can't "take it again". In other word, the thing, in this case, that sets JESUS CHRIST'S death apart from "suicide", is that HE could "take" up HIS LIFE "again", while the suicide-e can only take/end his/her physical existence. . .and regardless of dyer's remorse, there is no, ,satisfaction guaranteed, or get your physical existence back'.

BTW, Did you know that, without OUTSIDE HELP, from a source other than yourself, you cannot even kill yourself ("commit suicide")?

David really knew what he was talking about when he stated, ". . .I am fearfully and wonderfully made...(Psalm 139:14)"

djh22
Apr 12th 2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies,
As I originally said, it was just one of those daft thoughts that ran through my head as I was reading Thom's thread,
http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=164431

I just thought it would be interesting to chuck it in here to see where we went with it.

God bless & Happy Easter.

djh22.

djh22
Apr 12th 2009, 01:15 PM
BTW, Did you know that, without OUTSIDE HELP, from a source other than yourself, you cannot even kill yourself ("commit suicide")?

Ehhh !!! That's interesting Thom, not sure what you mean though ,what am I missing ? ,surely I can stab myself or take an overdose without help from anyone.

Best.

djh22.

Brother Mark
Apr 12th 2009, 01:49 PM
No it's not suicide. It's more like a soldier that throws himself on a grenade to save his buddies. He did it willingly. He laid down his life. But it was the only way at that moment he could save his buddies. That's why Jesus prayed in the garden "If it is possible, remove this cup from me." No soldier wants to throw himself on a grenade, but if there is no other way, he'll do it.

Jesus did the same thing. It wasn't suicide. It was sacrifice for us, in order that we might live.

divaD
Apr 12th 2009, 02:25 PM
My response "no" is too short. The forum requires that each response be at least 15 characters long.

asdf;lkjaasdf;lkj are my fifteen characters!

LOL! Who would have ever guessed? :)

THOM
Apr 13th 2009, 02:45 AM

David really knew what he was talking about when he stated, ". . .I am fearfully and wonderfully made...(Psalm 139:14)"

Ehhh !!! That's interesting Thom, not sure what you mean though ,what am I missing ? ,surely I can stab myself or take an overdose without help from anyone.

Best.

djh22.

Hey djh22; I apologize for not being clear enough. Here's what I meant.

Without any outside help, whatsoever, you CANNOT commit suicide. Your examples of "stab myself" and/or "take an overdose", is outside help. In both cases you'd need something that has not always been with you in order for it to assist you in committing suicide.

My favorite example to demonstrate this, is that of holding one's breath; before you could hold your breath long enough to die, you'd passed out and automatically begin to breathe again.

In, of, and able to act independently, GOD has not given us any part of our physical bodies, that is capable of killing and/or murdering the entire body.

djh22
Apr 13th 2009, 09:15 AM
In, of, and able to act independently, GOD has not given us any part of our physical bodies, that is capable of killing and/or murdering the entire body.

Thanks Thom,
Yea, I see what you mean now,never thought of it that way before.
Thanks.

djh22.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77