PDA

View Full Version : Questions About John

kc989
Apr 11th 2009, 04:17 PM
Ok guys, I like to start off every one of my posts by saying I am very new to this and I may be wrong in everythig I say but here goes...

I accepted Christ into my life about a month ago and started reading the Bible. I ran into some trouble when reading John. Here are my questions...

1. Jesus says that we should not be worried about being judged by man because God will judge us. If this is the case, why was Jesus doing all of his miricles? Feeding 5,000 people, the blind man, Lazarus, ect.?

2. Right before he gets arrested, Jesus washes the feet of the Deciples. He says that he is doing this to set an example. Is the way he is showing us that we must love one another (even though he says that later on)?

3. Jesus says that he will rise 3 days after his death. If this is so, why do we celebrate Good Friday, then Easter Sunday? Thats only 2 days.

Thanks everyone!

Nihil Obstat
Apr 11th 2009, 04:36 PM
3. Jesus says that he will rise 3 days after his death. If this is so, why do we celebrate Good Friday, then Easter Sunday? Thats only 2 days.

This has to do with how Jews count days, and when their days begin. If you have a partial day, a full day, and another partial day, they would consider it to be three full days. Also, they start a new day not at midnight, but at 6pm.

Jesus died and was buried on Friday (Passover, 14th of Nisan - 1 Cor. 5:7; 15:3 w/ Lev. 23:4-5) before 6pm. His body was in the grave all day Saturday (Feast of Unleavened Bread, 15th of Nisan - Lev. 23:6-8). He rose early at the dawning of the sun when it was still dark on Sunday, the first day of the week (Firstfruits, 16th of Nisan - 1 Cor. 15:4, 20, 23 w/ Lev. 23:9-14; Josh. 5:10-12). He fulfilled the Lord's feast days on the very days they were to be celebrated!

He was really only dead for about 36 hours. Only once is it said "three days and three nights", and it is in the context of a parable to say something greater than a time period, but to speak of purpose (to be a light to the Gentiles).

- Astro

Butch5
Apr 12th 2009, 04:04 AM
Ok guys, I like to start off every one of my posts by saying I am very new to this and I may be wrong in everythig I say but here goes...

I accepted Christ into my life about a month ago and started reading the Bible. I ran into some trouble when reading John. Here are my questions...

1. Jesus says that we should not be worried about being judged by man because God will judge us. If this is the case, why was Jesus doing all of his miricles? Feeding 5,000 people, the blind man, Lazarus, ect.?

2. Right before he gets arrested, Jesus washes the feet of the Deciples. He says that he is doing this to set an example. Is the way he is showing us that we must love one another (even though he says that later on)?

Thanks everyone!

Not sure I understand your first question,

The second, yes

Third, the Jews counted Friday as day one.

NotMyOwn
Apr 12th 2009, 04:53 AM
Actually I think the answer to your first question is because Jesus was proving that He was the Messiah.

Question two, is showing us we must serve others.

crossnote
Apr 12th 2009, 05:29 AM

Let me ask you a question. Did you cry out in despair for Him to come in and save or did you permit Christ to come in for a test run?

THOM
Apr 13th 2009, 09:32 AM

Whenever JESUS performed a Miracle, HE was do so to meet a need of a Believer(s), as well as to show forth examples of what Disciples are to do in their Ministry.

2. Right before he gets arrested, Jesus washes the feet of the Deciples. He says that he is doing this to set an example. Is the way he is showing us that we must love one another (even though he says that later on)?JESUS' washing the feet of the Disciples shows the lowest level of service that any Minister (Servant) is to provide. Ministers, first and foremost are Servants.

3. Jesus says that he will rise 3 days after his death. If this is so, why do we celebrate Good Friday, then Easter Sunday? Thats only 2 days. JESUS CHRIST was NOT Crucified on a Friday. . .unless of course HE didn't know the difference between "three days and three nights".

Here's a clue: JESUS was Crucified, and HE Died, and was Buried, just hours before the time that The Feast of The Passover was to be eaten, which was the day (24 hours) before The Feast of Unleavened Bread, which was the day (24 hours) before the Regular Weekly Sabbath, which the day (24 hours) before THE RESURRECTION, ". . .when it was yet dark...(John 20:1)". What you had is Three Sabbaths. . .all in a row.

The following link goes into greater detail:

{http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=163755 (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=163755)}

renthead188
Apr 19th 2009, 04:43 AM

Thanks everyone!

Hey Kenny

I recently PM'd you something lengthy and something short, so get back to me when you've got some time. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

As far as these questions, it's great that you're seeking answers to these. I will leave 3 to some of the more knowledgable members, I'm thinking that either Apotho or Xel will be in shortly (if they haven't yet) to help you out. I look forward to their answers, because I'm not clear on this myself! As for the first two, I think the answers are found on an often ignored verse in the beginning of the passage you've spoken about.

"Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded." John 13:3-5

Jesus humbled himself to the point of servitude. What was His mindset that He was able to cast aside the pride of life in favor of unconditional love? Jesus knew where He came from and He knew where He was going. (3) The more certain we become of where we came from and where we are going, the less attractive the desires of the flesh will be and the more beautifully His light will shine in our lives. This certainty, this faith, comes only from spending time at the foot of our Lord in prayer. We must choose the good part (Luke 10:38-42) which will not be taken away from us.

your brother

Chris

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77