PDA

View Full Version : Babies and Original Sin

ChristianKnight
Apr 11th 2009, 07:22 PM
I got a question, is it correct, in Christian Beliefs, that no one is innocent? Since babies are born with original sin, and begin sinning once they learn (i guess you'd call it meaning).

daughter
Apr 11th 2009, 08:00 PM
We are all born with an inate bent to sin. What that means is something folks differ on.

*Hope*
Apr 11th 2009, 08:23 PM
I got a question, is it correct, in Christian Beliefs, that no one is innocent? Since babies are born with original sin, and begin sinning once they learn (i guess you'd call it meaning).

It's true there is no one innocent. However, this doesn't mean we all believe babies will go to hell. You can read my post here that explains in a little more detail about what I believe:

http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=2042053&postcount=216

karenoka27
Apr 11th 2009, 08:52 PM
Psalm 58:3-"The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies."

Scruffy Kid
Apr 11th 2009, 08:55 PM
Hi, ChristianKnight!
Good to see you!! :pp

Babies and Original Sin
I got a question, is it correct, in Christian Beliefs, that no one is innocent? Since babies are born with original sin, and begin sinning once they learn (i guess you'd call it meaning). Not only is it "correct in Christian Beliefs"; in my opinion it's an observable fact of life. Babies, and small children, in my observation, generally have a very selfish streak. When they become small children, they will grab for others, and easily get jealous when others get attention. And as soon as they get the strength to do so, many go into rages and tantrums when they don't get their own way. These very same aspects of character, which can appear cute or normal in small children, persist through life, with disastrous consequences in many cases. Thus, small children, from infancy, as it seems to me from observation, are (to varying degrees) full of wrong attitudes and destructive passions.

Yet it is very important not look at babies, or people generally, in a one-sided way. People in general, and babies in particular, are wonderful: also prone to love, to sympathize with others, to take an interest in the world, to want to know what is true, to appreciate beuaty and good things, and (within limits) to obey their parents, and so on. Many small children look to God. Fundamentally, human beings are wonderful, and reflect the basic goodnesses of love and intelligence and so on -- those same goodnesses which Christians suppose are the very attributes of God! Thus it's not surprising that the Biblical and Judeo-Christian regards humanity as created in the image of God, and called to His likeness. Babies, like human beings generally, are wonderful, precious -- yet also subject to fundamental flaws.

Also, of course, babies, and small children generally, are in many ways innocent: relatively guileless, and ordinarily very openhearted and loving. To some extent, the badness which is passed on from generation to generation in the human race (which is part of what the concept of "original sin" refers to) is transmitted, as many positive things are transmitted also, by the fact that we are constituted as social beings, and learn from those around us. Thus we learn bad attitudes and habits from the faults of our family and friends, as well as learning good ones. In this sense "original sin" -- the fundamental brokenness of humanity -- is passed on not just biologically, or through spiritual descent at birth, but also from the necessary social-connectedness which is a part of the goodness of humanity, and reflective of the goodness of God and His eternal love.

In friendship, :hug:
Scruffy Kid

karenoka27
Apr 11th 2009, 09:45 PM
Psalm 51:5-Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me."

I also think of Romans 5:12-"Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned."

Quickened
Apr 12th 2009, 12:18 AM
Although you cant post in that section the thread (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=2042053) that Hope's post was in may be of some interest. Not only is that discussed but we toss about the idea of infant salvation as well. You will get a couple of different perspectives and may or may not find it insightful :lol:

But I think it worth a read and perhaps look up some of the scriptures and see what you come up with. I am not fimiliar with your posts so i dont know how much of the bible you are fimiliar with but page about in scripture! Opening God's word is always a good thing! :)

pekoe
Apr 14th 2009, 01:13 AM
"Suffer little children and forbid them not to come to me, for of such is the Kingdom of God." Mt.19:14

"Amen I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven." Mt.18:3

Edit by tango, 20 April 2009:
Since the OP is no longer with us, closing the thread to focus on other seekers.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77