PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Meaning of Galatians 3:19

chad
Apr 14th 2009, 06:03 AM
I was just wanting to know the meaning of Galatians 3:19 where it says - The law was put into effect through the angels by a mediator.

How was this done, and how does it relate to the old testament mosaic law? This part of Galatians 3:19 is quite hard to understand.

(Gal 3:19 NIV) What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

(Gal 3:19 KJV) Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Thanks

Chad :rolleyes:

TrustGzus
Apr 14th 2009, 06:23 AM
I'd encourage you to read the entire chapter to understand the verse in its context (and the book to understand the context of the chapter in the book). However, in regard to the mention of angels, Deuteronomy 33:2 and Acts 7:53 might help. And for the mediator see Deuteronomy 5:5 and Exodus 20:19.

Zack702
Apr 14th 2009, 06:36 AM
Well I personaly think its explaining simply that the law was added to because of transgressions. The 10 commandments are the law given by God. But Mosaic laws are much more and they cover specific things like when a mans pet wounds another man.

When the Israelites were following the Angel (the exodus) they were not permited to break one law. If they did they were in danger of the presence of the angel. Because the Angel was sent to protect all the holy people from the evil people during the time of the Exodus.

So when things went wrong they had to sort it out right and find a way to agree with the angel. Else they were in danger of its purpose. Which was to bring about the kingdom of Israel and encourage them to be a holy nation. And prepare for the birth of Jesus who inherited the promises.

Exodus 23
20Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.
21Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.
22But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries. 23For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off.

chad
Apr 14th 2009, 09:30 AM
Thank you Zack,

I understand it now and am doing more study on it. You help is much appreciated.

Chad :pp

Well I personaly think its explaining simply that the law was added to because of transgressions. The 10 commandments are the law given by God. But Mosaic laws are much more and they cover specific things like when a mans pet wounds another man.

When the Israelites were following the Angel (the exodus) they were not permited to break one law. If they did they were in danger of the presence of the angel. Because the Angel was sent to protect all the holy people from the evil people during the time of the Exodus.

So when things went wrong they had to sort it out right and find a way to agree with the angel. Else they were in danger of its purpose. Which was to bring about the kingdom of Israel and encourage them to be a holy nation. And prepare for the birth of Jesus who inherited the promises.

Exodus 23
20Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.
21Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.
22But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries. 23For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off.

Zack702
Apr 14th 2009, 08:57 PM
Thank you Zack,

I understand it now and am doing more study on it. You help is much appreciated.

Chad :pp

Thank you Chad also for sharing that scripture.

Also take into consideration this is my viewpoint. I am no saint. But I do read the bible and I love to discuss it.

It can be a tough subject the laws. And even more so the Exodus. I have heard over and over how shocked people are when they actually read exodus and joshua and judges. Thats because modern education and laws has most people fooled into a false reality. So much so that it is hard for them to come to terms with the OT.

chad
Apr 15th 2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Zach,

Galatians 3:19 mentions a mediator. Who do you think is the mediator is?

(Gal 3:19 NIV) What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

Zack702
Apr 15th 2009, 07:02 AM
My first thought would be it is Moses. However I don't know the details of it. We know that Moses brought the ten commandments. But the rest of the law had to of been written later. There is one chapter called Leviticus and there was also a tribe of priests called Levi. They might of been mediators of the law. And if I remember correctly they were made authorities of sacrifices and the tabernacle making them very close to the Lord.

chad
Apr 15th 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks Zack and TrustGzus for your replies.

I got it now.

The NIV notes for Exodus 20:19. Israel requests a mediator to stand between them and God, a role fulfilled by Moses and subsequently priests, prophets and kings - and ultimately by Jesus Christ.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77