PDA

View Full Version : Honour widows that are widows indeed

Partaker of Christ
Apr 16th 2009, 12:02 AM
This is one of them passages that I find difficult to fully grasp.

Does it mean that young widows, should not be supported by the church, but instead they should rather get married?

Naturally if they have family, then the family should support them.

1Ti 5:3 Honour widows that are widows indeed.
1Ti 5:4 But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
1Ti 5:5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.

1Ti 5:6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.
1Ti 5:7 And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless.
1Ti 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
1Ti 5:9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,
1Ti 5:10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.
1Ti 5:11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;
1Ti 5:12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.
1Ti 5:13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
1Ti 5:14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
1Ti 5:15 For some are already turned aside after Satan.
1Ti 5:16 If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.

Alaska
Apr 16th 2009, 01:21 AM
These are my thoughts that seem to fit the text. I would like full and conclusive understanding. I am not claiming to fully understand this but there is enough in the text, like other hard to understand parts of scripture where we can deduce what it cannot mean.
So these are my thoughts that seem to fit the text as along the lines of possibility.

Younger widows were a libility in that the church tried their best to avoid accusation from without.
(1 Tim. 5:7, 14)
These young widows, though believers in Jesus, weren't to be taken into the number, meaning they were not granted the same status of other believers. Their needs being met may have identified them as "one of the number", and if something scandelous were to occur, those on the outside and enemies of the faith would have avenue to point the finger and accuse etc. Those members in the church who were related to a widow were to take care of her needs, and if they didn't they denied the faith. This doesn't mean they let widows starve or anything like that, if they didn't have family, I think Paul is establishing a system to address his concerns and to also provide for necessities.

A qualifying older widow was not a liability.
She, a widow indeed, was one who was at least 60 years old and it was not seen that she was a liability, if she was known for her good behaviour and hospitality that Paul mentions.

The apparent high likelihood of a younger widow beginning to live in pleasure (fornication) was grounds to not granting status of being "one of the number".

1Ti 5:11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;
1Ti 5:12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.

We know for an absolute certainty, that a widow can get married, it is not a sin nor does it take a decision to cast off their faith in Jesus to get married. 1 Cor. 7:39

But Paul is speaking of a kind of marriage that would be a casting off of faith and getting damnation. If the chances of finding a man in the church that would marry a widow were so slim so that it was expected not to happen, and to get married she would have to leave the church and marry an unbeliever; this would fit the text. Being outside the church was understood to mean damnation. It would then be seen that she chose getting married over being a faithful Christian widow woman bearing her cross of living a single life.

Sojourner
Apr 16th 2009, 07:45 AM
Younger widows were a libility in that the church tried their best to avoid accusation from without.
(1 Tim. 5:7, 14)
These young widows, though believers in Jesus, weren't to be taken into the number, meaning they were not granted the same status of other believers.

:) "The number" doesn't mean the mean what you said, but "the number" means those on the benevolent list that the true widows were on. The reason being that they may have been wanton (senual, burning with lust). "But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry" I Tim 5:11 There are no second class member of Christ, we are all on the same status, but varying on fruit. :)

Partaker of Christ
Apr 16th 2009, 02:10 PM
I think this passage would be a great study.

I am amazed at the qualifications needed to be taken into the number.

1Ti 5:5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.

1Ti 5:9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,

1Ti 5:10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

What if the widow 'indeed', was a new believer, and her family were none believers?

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77