PDA

View Full Version : Act As If? 1 Corinthians

kc989
Apr 16th 2009, 05:10 AM
Ok so I'm reading 1 Corinthians this week...tonight I have to read Luke 15 for my serivces this Sunday but I will be back to 1 Corinthians tomorrow...Anyway I was reading last night the part about Marriage. I believe its Chapter 7. Paul says (paraphrase) "Those of you who are married, act as if you are not."

Please remember...Im new at this...so when I read that, my first thought was that the Bible is telling me that even though Im married I could go out and "do" whatever I want (you know what I mean).

Of course I quickly realized no sex before married and the numerous adultary references in the Bible. I'm not even close to being like that even before I found Christ, but that is really what I thought Paul meant.

Can anyone explain this to me so I get a better understanding? Does he mean to act as if you aren't married and dedicate your entire life to Christ?

Thanks and God Bless!

Vhayes
Apr 16th 2009, 05:20 AM
Continue reading to see what Paul says:

32But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord;
33but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife,
34and his interests are divided.

So yes - Paul is advocating being single so a person will be more concerned with Christ than things of this world.

Does that help?
V

markedward
Apr 16th 2009, 05:37 AM
Can anyone explain this to me so I get a better understanding? Does he mean to act as if you aren't married and dedicate your entire life to Christ?
Paul points out that he and his contemporaries were undergoing a "present distress", likely the persecution of Christians that was intensifying during the first-century.

Butch5
Apr 17th 2009, 12:25 PM
Ok so I'm reading 1 Corinthians this week...tonight I have to read Luke 15 for my serivces this Sunday but I will be back to 1 Corinthians tomorrow...Anyway I was reading last night the part about Marriage. I believe its Chapter 7. Paul says (paraphrase) "Those of you who are married, act as if you are not."

Please remember...Im new at this...so when I read that, my first thought was that the Bible is telling me that even though Im married I could go out and "do" whatever I want (you know what I mean).

Of course I quickly realized no sex before married and the numerous adultary references in the Bible. I'm not even close to being like that even before I found Christ, but that is really what I thought Paul meant.

Thanks and God Bless!

One thing to keep in mind is, when you read the Scriptures ask yourself how the original reader wouldinderstand it. Remember it was written to them.

jlynn32
Apr 18th 2009, 04:52 AM
Co 7:26 Because of the present crisis I believe it is good for people to remain as they are.
1Co 7:27 Do you have a wife? Don't seek a divorce. Are you divorced from your wife? Don't look for another one.
1Co 7:28 But if you do get married, you have not sinned. If a virgin gets married, she has not sinned. However, these people will have trouble, and I would like to spare them from that.
1Co 7:29 This is what I mean, brothers and sisters: The time has been shortened. While it lasts, those who are married should live as though they were not.
1Co 7:30 Those who have eyes filled with tears should live as though they have no sorrow. Those who are happy should live as though there was nothing to be happy about. Those who buy something should live as though they didn't own it.
God Word Translation Bible I use it for teaching Teens after reading out of KJV to help them understand. What he is talking about is because of the way things are. His is stating that you should be living for Christ and spending your time seeking HIM and pleasing Christ Because once you get married you try to please your spouse. It is not meaning you go and do things that are not of GOD . I hope this helps. I don't want it to sound mean I was also new and every day I am still learning something new also. And when you run a cross something you don't understand pray and ask God. And also keep asking people that you know are Godly people and they live a Godly life.

crossnote
Apr 18th 2009, 05:43 AM
The gist of the passage seems to be 'in the light of the present distress...keep things as simple as possible, hold the things of this life lightly'.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77