PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Have To Do To Be "Saved"?

TheAnswer99
Apr 17th 2009, 05:34 PM
I've heard many answers including the following:

1.) Through faith alone (believing in the Trinity - obviously including the belief that Jesus was the Son of God)

2.) Faith in the Trinity + Jesus' Miracles,works, and Resurrection

3.) Simply believing that the Bible is the Word of God and through Faith in the Trinity

4.) By doing good works and having faith

5.) Through repentance

etc.

Along a similar vein, given your answer to the above, I must ask: does God care what we think of the Death Penalty...or evolution...or transubstantiation? If your answer is "through faith alone" or if your answer is repentance, why would God care how you interpret the Bible? There are so many different interpretations from believers...I guarantee you that very few people agree on every single issue brought up about the Bible, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and how to apply Scripture to various social, political, and economic controversies. Does it really matter HOW God created this world as long as you believe in the Trinity, Jesus as the son, and repentance?

keck553
Apr 17th 2009, 05:47 PM
God teaches us to repent and accept His Son as our Master, with trust in the assurance that He took your punishment on the cross.

Hearing the Gospel can take you to the cross. But only God can take you beyond; give you life.

Salvation is dependant on your heart's response to God's call.

As far as 'works' are concerned, consider the Exodus. God saved ANYONE who covered their doorposts with the blood of the lamb, Hebrews, Egytians, anyone. Nothing else was necessary other than the trust that the blood of the lamb would save them. Salavation is a gift; one can not earn a gift. Not now, not then, not ever.

The 'works' came a long time later as a response to salvation. The intented response was and still is out of love. The reason "God cares" about our response to His commands is that He wants us to live a fruitful life and have the spiritual, mental and physical heath enough to be His Light in a dark world. When you see the love of Messiah in someone, and they draw you near to Him, that is His intent.

9Marksfan
Apr 17th 2009, 06:09 PM
We need to accept that the Bible is the word of God and believe the gospel - viz that Jesus died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, was buried according to the Scriptures and was raised on the third day, according to the Scriptures.

At what stage repentance and the Trinity come in, I don't know precisely, but I do know that an unrepentant man is going to Hell and people who don't believe in the Trinity are heretics and heretics are going to Hell if they don't repent of their heresy. As are those who don't have works to show their faith is genuine.

I think the five solas of the Reformation sum things up - we are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone - we base all our thinking and living as Christians on the word of God alone - and we seek to live for the glory of God alone.

Man, these guys knew how to keep things simple!

cajunman4life
Apr 17th 2009, 06:15 PM
As are those who don't have works to show their faith is genuine.

Agreed.

James 2:26:
"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Butch5
Apr 18th 2009, 01:48 AM
We need to accept that the Bible is the word of God and believe the gospel - viz that Jesus died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, was buried according to the Scriptures and was raised on the third day, according to the Scriptures.

At what stage repentance and the Trinity come in, I don't know precisely, but I do know that an unrepentant man is going to Hell and people who don't believe in the Trinity are heretics and heretics are going to Hell if they don't repent of their heresy. As are those who don't have works to show their faith is genuine.

I think the five solas of the Reformation sum things up - we are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone - we base all our thinking and living as Christians on the word of God alone - and we seek to live for the glory of God alone.

Man, these guys knew how to keep things simple!

Mark,

Where do the Scriptures teach we must believe in the Trinity?

rom826
Apr 18th 2009, 02:06 AM

1.) Through faith alone (believing in the Trinity - obviously including the belief that Jesus was the Son of God)

3.) Simply believing that the Bible is the Word of God and through Faith in the Trinity

5.) Through repentance

etc.

Along a similar vein, given your answer to the above, I must ask: does God care what we think of the Death Penalty...or evolution...or transubstantiation? If your answer is "through faith alone" or if your answer is repentance, why would God care how you interpret the Bible? There are so many different interpretations from believers...I guarantee you that very few people agree on every single issue brought up about the Bible, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and how to apply Scripture to various social, political, and economic controversies. Does it really matter HOW God created this world as long as you believe in the Trinity, Jesus as the son, and repentance?

Scripture is clear and plain on the subject.

Roamans 10:9

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Anybody who makes the requirements for salvation different than what the word of God says is lying.

Watchmen
Apr 18th 2009, 02:26 AM

5.) Through repentance

Does it really matter HOW God created this world as long as you believe in the Trinity, Jesus as the son, and repentance?For the most part your answer are absurd. You do not have to believe in the main stream doctrine. To be saved you must first have faith in Christ, then repent of your sins, thirdly die to self and serve God offering your whole self, lastly endure until the end. If you do this you will be saved.

bagofseed
Apr 18th 2009, 02:38 AM

5.) Through repentance

etc.

John 1:1-3 (http://bible.logos.com/passage/esv/John%201.1-3)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

You can not separate believing in God and His word.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

crossnote
Apr 18th 2009, 05:54 AM

As a person grows more and more in the knowledge of His Word he finds out what some of the things God cares about. The best interpreter of Scripture is Scripture itself. It cancels out wrong interpretations.
I take it you are referring to evolution vs. creation in your last question. It matters because the reliability of God's Word is at stake. The bible is not a detailed science book but what it does touch on is true otherwise God is lying.

Julian
Apr 18th 2009, 07:06 PM
Mark,

They don't. But they do teach that we must believe on the name of the Son of God - and that believing we might have life.

Thank God for giving us his wonderful Son Jesus Christ and for raising him from the dead after he did all that his Father asked him to do!

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

9Marksfan
Apr 20th 2009, 10:57 AM
Mark,

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Heb 11:6 NKJV

What do these words "He is" mean? Far more than "He exists", I would argue - rather, "He is as He is revealed in Scripture" would be a biblical amplification. I'm guessing that you agree that Unitarians are heretics and not Christians, right? So is it OK to say that the Holy Spirit isn't God? I would say that was blaspemy of the Holy Spirit, which is of course unforgiveable. I'd rather stick with these verses:-

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1 Jn 5:7 NKJV

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. Matt 28:19-20 NKJV

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen. 2 Cor 13:14 NKJV

And if you still doubt that the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity, check these verses out:-

But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.” Acts 5:4-5 NKJV

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. Jn 13:16-18 NKJV

These are imho the two passages that speak most clearly of the deity of the Holy Spirit and His oneness both with the Father (God) and the Son. You will know that "another" here means "an identical one". The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ - He is God. If someone denies this, having been presented with the truth and having rejected it, I would question whether they were saved. We should stop trying to ascertain the bare minimum for becoming a Christian and rather view Scripture as it IS - the revelation of God which ALL must accept in its entirety - there's no point in telling folks "just believe in Jesus - you don't need to believe in the rest of the Bible". The thing is - unless a person believes IN PRINCIPLE that the Bible is ALL TRUE, how can they believe in the Jesus of the Bible?

To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Is 8:20 NKJV

But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’ Lk 16:31 NKJV

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77