PDA

View Full Version : Do you attend a church that kneels during prayer?

Fsbirdhouse
Apr 20th 2009, 11:21 PM
I remember when I was young attending churches, both mine and friends churches where people would kneel during prayer.
I don't remember which churches they were, but haven't been to any that don't stand now instead.

HisLeast
Apr 20th 2009, 11:31 PM
My wife and I split our time between a Catholic church and a non denominational. We kneel frequently at the Catholic church.

Br. Barnabas
Apr 21st 2009, 12:48 AM
In the Anglican church we kneel during the confession of sin. It is the only time that the church as a whole kneels. During the prayers before the communion some stand and some kneel; both are traditional ways receiving those prayers.

From the traditional understanding of Christian practice it seems that it is acceptable to stand or kneel during prayer but most of the early Christians did not sit during prayer, mainly because the churches of the early centuries of the church did not have pews or many chairs in them.

Many in the Orthodox church might stand throughout almost the whole service.

The traditional homily given at the Easter Vigil in many churches is that of St. John Chrysostom's Easter Homily is a homily where the whole church stands while it is preached.

crossnote
Apr 21st 2009, 06:04 AM
I remember when I was young attending churches, both mine and friends churches where people would kneel during prayer.
I don't remember which churches they were, but haven't been to any that don't stand now instead.

I've been to a few Lutheran churches with kneelers.
I think it is a neat thing when the whole body of Christ is on their knees before the Lord. When theScriptures say 'every knee shall bow and tongue confess' it doesn't just mean 'in our hearts'.

chad
Apr 21st 2009, 10:46 AM
No, I don't attend a church that kneels during prayer, although I some times wonder when this first started happening in Church?

I wonder, did the Apostles or Jesus kneel when they prayed?

Moxie
Apr 21st 2009, 11:21 AM
During invitation, anyone can come to the altar and kneel to pray.

brakelite
Apr 21st 2009, 11:22 AM
Yes, we kneel when praying. It's something I always do in my quiet time at home too.

kay-gee
Apr 21st 2009, 11:56 AM
I haven't seen a church that falls on its faces (prostate) before the Lord.

all the best...

Slug1
Apr 21st 2009, 12:54 PM
I kneel when I privately pray to God even at church but when a prayer is done with the whole church we all stand.

-SEEKING-
Apr 21st 2009, 12:58 PM

If they did I'd have to find a new church. I got surgically repaired knees which would not make that possible. :eek:

Moxie
Apr 21st 2009, 02:33 PM

all the best...

I don't understand what you mean. :confused

Emanate
Apr 21st 2009, 03:22 PM

all the best...

Sounds like there would be all of black eyes and bloody noses.

one_lost_coin
Apr 21st 2009, 03:34 PM

all the best...

You may want to attend some Eastern Catholic or Orthodox Churches in your area. They pray in a manner you describe by praying what is known as a metany. This is usually performed by the Priest on behalf of the people assembled but I have seen it done on a individual basis during times of more individual prayer and devotions.

In these Eastern cultures you do not often see kneeling but rather standing during prayer instead as that is the way these cultures express honor and respect toward those worthy of honor. Its merely a culturally different way of expressing the same sentiment but I have found it evokes great reverence when properly done within its cultural setting with the proper cultural understanding.

Another prayer posture that has become popular in some circles that is actually very ancient and can be seen depicted in the art of the catacombs is the posture known as the oranz position where people pray standing with hands and eyes lifted upward.

markedward
Apr 21st 2009, 06:38 PM
The pastors at my church usually ask the congregation to bow their heads and/or close their eyes when we pray. My guesses would be that bowing the heads is asked for, to show submission to God's will in the prayers, and closing the eyes is to make sure no one distracts one another.

The head pastor, I have noticed, has a tendency to ask the congregation to stand up, as well as bow their heads and close their eyes. Again, my guess would be that he intends it as a symbolic gesture of the congregation standing before God as one body.

Fsbirdhouse
Apr 21st 2009, 08:08 PM
crossnote,
I attend a Lutheran church, but we don't have kneelers.
I wonder if the ones you reference are very old churches, or Missouri synod churches?

sistershalom
Apr 22nd 2009, 04:02 AM
I would just find a church i like and break the ice and mabe start a new trend :)
I think thats what i like so much about beth more... that she kneels to pray...

crossnote
Apr 23rd 2009, 05:04 AM
crossnote,
I attend a Lutheran church, but we don't have kneelers.
I wonder if the ones you reference are very old churches, or Missouri synod churches?

It varies. More often seen in the older buildings especailly back East. Actually ELCA has as many as the LCMS. Although LCMS is a little more conservative doctrinally ELCA tends to go for the smells and bells which kneelers would fit right in. There is a Confessional movement amongst Lutherans who want to get back to their historic roots both in doctrine and practice and often they go either with kneelers or with pillows. Ahhh.

Izdaari
Apr 23rd 2009, 09:00 AM
Kneeling isn't part of my church customs but as a Pentecostal church, we consider it normal for individuals to express their faith as the Spirit moves them (so long as it's orderly and not disruptive)... so if someone wants to kneel and pray, it won't get a second glance.

matthew7and1
Apr 23rd 2009, 10:10 AM
not i........ :pray:

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77