PDA

View Full Version : Just how accurate is the Bible?

BibleGirl02
Apr 20th 2009, 11:36 PM
Hi everyone. How accurate is the Bible? Is it reliable enough that one can put absolute faith in it? Please provide evidence to the Bible's reliability and accuracy. Thank you.

cajunman4life
Apr 21st 2009, 12:38 AM
I heard a good sermon once that said if you can believe the first sentence of the Bible (In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.) then everything else should be very easy to believe, because that in itself is quite a feat.

You may have a look at http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=4010 which seemed like a pretty good quick read to me. I'm sure others can elaborate better than I did.

tgallison
Apr 21st 2009, 12:55 AM
Hi everyone. How accurate is the Bible? Is it reliable enough that one can put absolute faith in it? Please provide evidence to the Bible's reliability and accuracy. Thank you.

The proof is in all those that have chosen to follow Jesus. To know Jesus is to know his word.

Sorry if this is not an adequate answer for you.

rom826
Apr 21st 2009, 01:02 AM

I would say about 99%. The other 1% can be figured out by studying the Greek or Hebrew word it was tranlated from.

Gulah Papyrus
Apr 21st 2009, 01:24 AM
This page should help a great deal.

http://www.carm.org/schooldemos/demo2/bible/reliable.htm (http://www.carm.org/schooldemos/demo2/bible/reliable.htm)

Not only is it accurate and reliable as a text...it is so accurate and reliable that compared to other ancient writings, the accuracy/reliability is a miracle in itself. :yes:

th1bill
Apr 21st 2009, 04:25 AM
... The Bible is the inerrant Word of God, that means it is infallible. If you are truly interested in researching that statement you will purchase the single volume edition of the Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics by Norman Geisler, ISBN 0-8010-2151-0. This single volume instrument is Mr. Geisler's Magnum Opus and he spent forty years researching it. Being in encyclopedic format it is easy to navigate and approach from any direction and the complete bibliography make all of his research an easy check on the internet or with a jaunt to the library.

THOM
Apr 21st 2009, 04:56 AM
I heard a good sermon once that said if you can believe the first sentence of the Bible (In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.) then everything else should be very easy to believe, because that in itself is quite a feat.

You may have a look at http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=4010 which seemed like a pretty good quick read to me. I'm sure others can elaborate better than I did.

BibleGirl02, allow me to piggyback on what cajunman4life stated. In our Courts of law, we have "the presumption of innocent until proven guilty", which means when we proclaim our innocence, we don't have to prove it, but the one(s) who proclaims us guilty (or accuses us) have to prove their case.

Now if we make "Innocence" synonymous with "Truth", then "The Bible" is True. And to take it a step further, anyone wanting to prove it to not be True, must begin at the very beginning, with, "In the beginning, GOD Created the Heavens and the Earth". Now if they can't prove that to be a Lie. . .they should not be allowed to go any farther.

See, for them to prove that, "In the beginning, GOD Created the Heavens and the Earth", is a lie, they'd need (at least) 'an eyewitness' and/or irrefutable evidence to the contrary. They don't. . .so just tell em, "Case close!".

But my bottom line is, GOD gives us so very very much more to stand firm on and believe HIM on when we just believe what we believe to be just the small stuff that HE has already given us.
GOD "had" told Abram to leave his daddy's house. . .and when Abram did, look at what happened!

PilgrimPastor
Apr 21st 2009, 05:07 AM

The following is from a sermon I preached recently on a related topic. If Jesus quoted the Old Testament during His earthly ministry, gave authority to His disciples to pen the New Testament and the reliably rose from the dead to justify His claims to authority and power, then the Bible is a reliable document...

"In the modern culture there are many who attack the truth claims which are connected to the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the grounds that it is a legend, fabricated over the centuries either by Christians seeking to gain political power, prestige, or to simply make a name for themselves through the founding of what has become the largest religion in the world; claiming more than 2.1 billion.

This is an interesting notion and in light of the rise of so many modern cults it is easy to understand why some people would believe this to explain the existence and establishment of Christianity. From a purely modern perspective this is understandable. Modern Christianity boasts many wealthy churches and denominations. The Vatican in Rome is a mighty Bastian which declares the power and wealth of the Roman Church throughout much of Western history. Televangelists drive expensive cars and live in great homes.

But to rightly understand the rise of Christianity in history we do not rightly look at the present but the past. Does the so-called “legend theory” stand the test of antiquity, history, and reason? Did the Church arise at some time very much later than the time of Christ as the result of the story of Jesus being told, retold, revised, and embellished until the man Jesus was said to be the Son of God?

Is Christianity supported by evidence which supports its chief voice: the Bible? Well, let’s consider the evidence. There are more than 24,000 partial and complete manuscript copies of the New Testament. These manuscript copies are very ancient and they are available for inspection now. There are also some 86,000 quotations from the early church fathers and several thousand Lectionaries which were widely used. The New Testament has an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting its reliability.

If the Bible is overwhelmingly well document from antiquity then its message is more likely to be trustworthy. It is that simple. By archeological and historical scholarship standards the historical nature of the life of Christ is astoundingly secure. In order to be consistent in rejecting Christ Resurrection on the grounds that it is a fabricated story or a legend which evolved over many centuries of embellishment is to deny our very ability to trust anything of a historical nature!

And yet many will say “Fine, the Bible is accurate historically with regard to its major themes and accounts of local rulers and officials, places, and people, but what of the miracles of Christ? What of those elements which fly in the face of modern naturalism and science? How can a man who is dead for three days rise from the dead and further, what evidence do you have to support such a claim?”

What of the account of the Apostle Paul who was a persecutor of Christians until after meeting the risen Christ on the way to Damascus to further persecute Christians? What of the Apostle Peter who after having denied Christ three times on the eve of Jesus Crucifixion became a virulent preacher of the resurrection of Christ? What would compel these two men to change their lives and perspective of Christ so dramatically?

Only a literally resurrected Jesus may account we’ve already suggested, even established, that the biblical record represents believable history. The biblical manuscripts are the best accounted for ancient documents in existence. The Gospels contain incredibly accurate and detailed information which has been verified by modern archeology.

If the Apostle Paul had not seen a risen Jesus on the road to Damascus and if Peter had likewise not encountered a resurrected Jesus it is not unbelievable that these two men, along with the other disciples, could have conspired to spread the rumor that indeed He had risen. Perhaps all of these men were money hungry and sought to establish their own religion to gain great wealth.

But if this was the case why did they record and pass on the words of Jesus in Luke 18:22 where Jesus says, “When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (NIV) If they wanted to get rich by taking many offerings and keeping the money for themselves then why would they espouse a teaching of Christ which spoke of giving your money to the poor and not to them?

Perhaps it is possible to simply assume that these men were megalomaniacs. Certainly in this world it is not that difficult to find a group of men who would want to gain great acclamation, applause, and attention for themselves. When we look at the modern edifices of the Vatican, the great cathedrals of England, or the many wealthy and famous mega church Pastors in America it is not difficult to imagine such a motivation as accolades and influence for these men.

But is that what professing a resurrected Christ earned them; applause and power? Acts 12:2 records that King Herod had James put to death “with the sword,” which is likely a reference to beheading. The most commonly accepted church tradition in regards to the death of the Apostle Peter was crucified upside-down on an x-shaped cross, in Rome, in fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy in John 21:18.

Tradition says that Matthew suffered martyrdom in Ethiopia, killed by a sword wound. John faced martyrdom when he was boiled in a huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome. However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos. He wrote his prophetic book of Revelation on Patmos. The apostle John was later freed and returned to what is now modern-day Turkey. He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.

James, the brother of Jesus, the leader of the church in Jerusalem, was thrown from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple which was over a hundred feet down, when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a club. This was the same pinnacle Satan had shown Jesus during the temptation.

Bartholomew, also known as Nathanael, was a missionary to Asia. He witnessed in present-day Turkey and was martyred for his preaching in Armenia, being flayed to death by a whip. Andrew was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Greece. After being whipped severely by seven soldiers, they tied his body to the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that when he was led toward the cross, Andrew saluted it in these words: “I have long desired and expected this happy hour. The cross has been consecrated by the body of Christ hanging on it.” He continued to preach to his tormentors for two days until he died.

The apostle Thomas was stabbed with a spear in India during one of his missionary trips to establish the church there. Matthias, the apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and then beheaded. The apostle Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero in Rome in A.D. 67.

(These are taken from www.gotquestions.org (http://www.gotquestions.org), a trusted resource endorsed by Dr. Norman Giesler. There are traditions regarding the other apostles as well, but none with any reliable historical or traditional support.)

Power and prestige? Influence and wealth? The men who proclaimed Christ risen, the savior resurrected and the power of an empty tomb, they all were sent to early graves themselves for declaring such an unsavory message to a world lost in its sins. These men suffered for the cause of the resurrection of Christ. They did not gain anything in this life, but oh the crown of glory they received in the next!

If these men had gained by promoted the resurrection of Christ it would be easy, for me at least, to believe that perhaps their message was not true, but the simple fact is that you do not die for a dead man. Sure it may be possible to find one insane person willing to die for something he knows to be a lie, but will you find even two men willing to die for something they know to be a lie; the same lie?

I would argue vehemently that it is not possible to find even one man who will die for something he knows to be a lie, and it is not even fathomable to find a dozen disciples, hundreds of early converts, thousands of first centuries martyrs, tens of thousands of second century persecuted Christians willing to die for al lie!

The disciples proclaimed Jesus raised and they proved the level of their belief in this historical fact in their willingness to die for that truth claim. They had nothing to gain and everything to lose. They lost everything, even their lives, and gained absolutely nothing in this life for their assertion that though Jesus had died, He yet lives!

Paul, the persecutor of the Early Church, became its biggest proponent. Peter, the one who denied Christ, became the great evangelist. The other disciples considered it great gain to lay down their lives for the truth that there is an empty tomb where Jesus once lay. What did they hold in common? They had encountered the risen Lord!"

Blessings!

BibleGirl02
Apr 21st 2009, 11:35 AM
Hmmm, thanks everyone! I always believed that the Bible was accurate but I had doubts. Those doubts are most completely gone! Thank you! :D

tt1106
Apr 21st 2009, 12:38 PM
Hmmm, thanks everyone! I always believed that the Bible was accurate but I had doubts. Those doubts are most completely gone! Thank you! :D

Look up Ravi Zacharias on youtube. He's got a greta clip up there. He is one of the premeire Apologists and does a great job of not only speaking about head knowledge, but also heart knowledge.

God Bless

tt1106

matthew94
Apr 21st 2009, 12:48 PM
We put faith in God. The Bible is a means to God.

PilgrimPastor
Apr 21st 2009, 02:31 PM

Here is perhaps the single greatest resource (in my less very biased opinion :rolleyes: ) on the subject of the resurrection and the reliability of the New Testament. Dr. Habermas was one of my profs at Liberty.

He recently added a lecture to his website on the subject http://www.garyhabermas.com/ and with regard to doubts in general, I would highly recommend his book "Dealing With Doubt" or the less academic version "The Thomas Factor" which can be viewed or downloaded for free here http://www.garyhabermas.com/books/thomas_factor/thomas_factor.htm

Blessings!

moonglow
Apr 21st 2009, 03:28 PM
There was a similar thread here ..the posts are very good in giving information you might find helpful: Proof that the bible is real? (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=165144)

God Bless

Emanate
Apr 21st 2009, 03:31 PM

I am amazed at the responses I see. I believe it is 100% wrong to put our faith in the bible. Our faith ought be in the Messiah, not the letter that merely speaks about him.

Gulah Papyrus
Apr 21st 2009, 03:41 PM
I am amazed at the responses I see. I believe it is 100% wrong to put our faith in the bible. Our faith ought be in the Messiah, not the letter that merely speaks about him.
Caqn't speak for others, but I certainly wasn't suggesting that anyone put faith in the Bible over God. I was simply answering the question presented by the OP, and it was a very reasonable question at that. The accuracy of The Bible is crucial, is it not?

If you can't trust the words on the pages than it is completely worthless...right?:confused

THOM
Apr 21st 2009, 04:08 PM

I see your point perfectly Emanate; Whenever I refer to THE WORD of GOD (Scripture) as "The Bible", I normally put it in quotation marks (as demonstrated). Because I fully understand that not all "Bibles" contain THE TOTAL INERRANT WORD of GOD;

But ALL of THE WORD of GOD ["ALL SCRIPTURE"] does contain THE TOTAL INERRANT WORD of GOD.

As demonstrated in other Threads, "The Bible" can be, and has been, mistranslated (knowingly and/or unknowingly). THE WORD of GOD (Scripture), on the other hand, has not, cannot, and will not be distorted and/or destroyed ("For ever, O LORD, THE WORD is settled in Heaven." Psalms 119:89).

That being said, how are we to come to faith in THE MESSIAH, if we don't, first, come to faith in THE WORD of GOD (Scripture). . .aka: "The Bible"?

Also, WHO was MESSIAH, before HE Physically became MESSIAH?

den1955
Apr 21st 2009, 05:31 PM
... The Bible is the inerrant Word of God, that means it is infallible. If you are truly interested in researching that statement you will purchase the single volume edition of the Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics by Norman Geisler, ISBN 0-8010-2151-0. This single volume instrument is Mr. Geisler's Magnum Opus and he spent forty years researching it. Being in encyclopedic format it is easy to navigate and approach from any direction and the complete bibliography make all of his research an easy check on the internet or with a jaunt to the library.

Geisler has a new book (2008) entitled The Big Book of Bible Difficulties (ISBN-13: 9780801071584) which is also excellent in this area.

As far as "faith in the Bible" goes, Jesus is the "Word made flesh"....the "Word of God is living and powerful." It is the means to gain Godly wisdom, one of God's means of communication with us. Without total trust in the Bible our faith in what it relates cannot be complete.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77