PDA

View Full Version : Peter and his wife...

TransformedSon
Apr 21st 2009, 03:10 AM
I am having a kind of hard time processing Peter's relationship with his wife. Partially because I will be getting married in just under 2 months!

Nothing too definitive can be said about them, but here is what all the evidence tells me...

1. Peter was obviously married at some point, as his mother in-law is referenced in Mark 1:30, and also Paul mentions Peter having a "believing wife" in 1 Corinthians 9:5. It would be an assumption to say Peter's wife was still alive during his ministry, but I think it's safe to say that. No mention is made of death or divorce.

2. Peter very quickly left his village to follow Jesus (Mark 1:16)...Did he just completely ditch his wife? That doesn't seem to me like something God would look favorably upon, in general.

I guess I am just struggling with the idea that God calls some husbands to leave their wives...Isn't the man who can't provide for his wife and family worse than an unbeliever (1 Timothy 5:8)?

I guess if God calls us to do something, we obviously do it, no matter WHAT. Leaving your wife that God has given you just doesn't seem right to me. Seems extremely unfair to the woman, in particular.

However, at the same time, military service is looked upon as such an honor and men leave their wives at the possibility of death for extended periods of time as well...And we all know sharing the gospel is far, far, far, far, far, far more important than serving in any countries military.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

-SEEKING-
Apr 21st 2009, 03:16 AM
There are several scriptures that talk about women being among the disciples. It's not impossible to think that Peter's wife could have been among them. She along with other wives may have been there as well.

-SEEKING-
Apr 21st 2009, 03:24 AM
Just wanted to add some scriptures.
Matt. 27:55-56
"There were also many women there, looking on from a distance, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him, 56 among whom were Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Joseph and the mother of the sons of Zebedee."
Mark 15:40-41
"40 There were also women looking on from a distance, among whom were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome. 41 When he was in Galilee, they followed him and ministered to him, and there were also many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem."
Luke 8:1-3
"Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, 2 and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, 3 and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means.

TransformedSon
Apr 21st 2009, 03:25 AM
There are several scriptures that talk about women being among the disciples. It's not impossible to think that Peter's wife could have been among them. She along with other wives may have been there as well.

True, he was traveling a lot though...And it usually mentions him among male disciples or just with one other guy.

-SEEKING-
Apr 21st 2009, 03:26 AM
True, he was traveling a lot though...And it usually mentions him among male disciples or just with one other guy.

Yeah I added some additional info for you.

markedward
Apr 21st 2009, 05:57 AM
2. Peter very quickly left his village to follow Jesus (Mark 1:16)...Did he just completely ditch his wife? That doesn't seem to me like something God would look favorably upon, in general.

I guess I am just struggling with the idea that God calls some husbands to leave their wives...I think what the problem is, is that you took Mark 1.16 out of context of the whole of Scripture. The dilemma you're having is easily corrected if we take a quick look (using the computer search engine, of course) through the rest of Scripture:

1 Corinthians 9.5 Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?

Paul directly says that "the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas" took along their wives in their ministries. There's no reason this wouldn't include Peter and his wife.

Besides, Mark 1.16 doesn't say that Peter ditched his family. The passage simply says that Peter and some of the other men there decided to follow Jesus, leaving behind their worldly things... but not that they entirely forsook their families. What should be noted, is that Jesus left Nazareth and moved to live in Capernaum (where Peter's family lived)! (Matthew 4.12-13) Since Jesus' dwelling was in Capernaum, it's likely he spent a considerable amount of time there (and Scripture shows he did), so it's doubtful that Peter abandoned his wife. Even after Jesus and the apostles go on some ministry "tours", they returned to Capernaum now and then... so even if Peter's wife didn't go with him on Jesus' ministry "tours" (it's very possible she did), Peter would still have seen her often enough.

crossnote
Apr 21st 2009, 05:58 AM
Also a possibility is that in warfare men were expected to leave the wife for long stints. Example-Uriah and Bathsheba. In a sense Peter was enlisted into God's army.

tt1106
Apr 21st 2009, 11:55 AM
ALso, Peter brought his wife to Christ and she was martyred for her faith as well.

TransformedSon
Apr 21st 2009, 04:03 PM
ALso, Peter brought his wife to Christ and she was martyred for her faith as well.

I didn't know that...Where is this mentioned?

tt1106
Apr 21st 2009, 05:15 PM
Believe it was Iraneous, but I'd have to look. I was wrong, it was Clement of Alexandria.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77