PDA

View Full Version : How many Gospels are in the Bible ?

dan p
Apr 24th 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi to all . Most of Christianity believe in only one Gospel , from Genesis through Revelation , and is that true ?

1) I was looking in Gal 2 and I see 3 gospels mention here .

2) Gal 2: 7 , Paul says that the Gospel of the UN-circumcision ( or Gentile ) was committed unto him .

3_ Then in v7 , a gospel of the Circumcision ( or to Jews ) was committed unto Peter .

4) Then in Gal 3:8 , a Gospel was preached to Abram , and that is 3 , but I see one more .

5) And the NEXT Gospel is called the Everlasting Gospel that will be preached during the Great Tribulation in Rev 14:6 , and this Gospel is one of Judgment , v7 .

6)So , those that deny this are Covenant Theologians or are Act 2 believers and that is " false teaching " .

Psalms Fan
Apr 24th 2009, 10:28 PM
Hi to all . Most of Christianity believe in only one Gospel , from Genesis through Revelation , and is that true ?

2) Gal 2: 7 , Paul says that the Gospel of the UN-circumcision ( or Gentile ) was committed unto him .

3_ Then in v7 , a gospel of the Circumcision ( or to Jews ) was committed unto Peter .

4) Then in Gal 3:8 , a Gospel was preached to Abram , and that is 3 , but I see one more .

5) And the NEXT Gospel is called the Everlasting Gospel that will be preached during the Great Tribulation in Rev 14:6 , and this Gospel is one of Judgment , v7 .

6)So , those that deny this are Covenant Theologians or are Act 2 believers and that is " false teaching " .

Gal 2:7 (ESV) "On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised,"

Paul was entrusted to take the Gospel to the uncircumcised, and Peter was entrusted to take the Gospel to the circumcised. One gospel, two different audiences.

Gal 3:8 (ESV) "And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, 'In you shall all the nations be blessed.'"

Same Gospel, different audience.

Rev 14:6 (ESV) "Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people."

This verse does not demonstrate that there is another Gospel other than that which was proclaimed by Christ. All it says is that the angel had an eternal gospel. But which part is being stressed? Is it that it is AN eternal gospel, as opposed to another eternal gospel? Or is it that it is an ETERNAL gospel, as opposed to a false gospel that is not eternal?

So I think that it is false to say that there is more than one Gospel of Christ. It just has different audiences and multiple contenders.

Julian
Apr 24th 2009, 11:16 PM
Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

That pretty much excludes there being multiple gospels we should be believing. Gospel means 'good news'. And the good news of the scriptures was written:

...that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Moxie
Apr 24th 2009, 11:37 PM
What version of the Bible are you quoting from?

In Verse 8 Paul is saying that Jesus worked effectively in both he and Peter for their individual work. Peter to the Jews and Paul to the Gentiles. Verse 9 also goes on to say that James, Peter and John acknowledged that Paul have been given grace from God. James, Peter and John gave him Barnabas; Paul and Barnabas went to preach to the Gentiles.

THOM
Apr 25th 2009, 12:55 AM

Hi Dan,

Actually there is ONLY ONE GOSPEL, "THE GOOD NEWS of The Birth, Death, and Resurrection of JESUS CHRIST!", and that is THE GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST.
There are many aspects of that ONE GOSPEL; a Good example of this is seen in the Book of Acts when THE HOLY SPIRIT of PROMISE (by JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF), was Evidenced by,

first, The Jews (on The Day of Pentecost-Acts 2): aka, "the circumcision";

second, to The Gentiles (at Cornelius' House-Acts 10): aka "the uncircumcision",

and third, to John the Baptist's Disciples (at Ephesus-Acts 17): aka both "the circumcision", "the uncircumcision", and even to "the heathen. . .[Abram]Abraham."

Each one of these groups received THE HOLY SPIRIT, as PROMISED by THE GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST; it was all evidenced in the same way/manner; and in the case of Abram, when he became Abraham, many scholars and theologians believed that from the mount where he was to sacrifice Isaac, Abraham could look over (and into the future) and see (just before he saw the ram in the thicket) another MOUNT CALVARY where, "GOD will provide HIMSELF THE LAMB for a burnt-offering, my SON. (Bere****-Genesis 22:8JPS)", to which JESUS CHRIST testified, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see MY day: and he saw it, and was glad. (John 8:56)".

It is ALL about JESUS CHRIST; If anyone, Was Saved, Is Saved, Will be Saved, it was, is, and will be, via JESUS CHRIST; and JESUS CHRIST ALONE.

I hope this helps.

crossnote
Apr 25th 2009, 07:44 AM
Think in terms of capital 'G' and little 'g'. There is only one Gospel as for example 1Cor15:1-4.
Yet in the bible there are many gospel passages. Another word for these is 'promises'. A promise essentially is a mini gospel in that it tells what God will do (or is doing or has done). This is in contrast to 'law' which tells us what we are to do. Thus most of the bible is made up of law and gospel, all of which points to the Gospel.

dan p
May 8th 2009, 11:51 PM
Hi Dan,

Actually there is ONLY ONE GOSPEL, "THE GOOD NEWS of The Birth, Death, and Resurrection of JESUS CHRIST!", and that is THE GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST.
There are many aspects of that ONE GOSPEL; a Good example of this is seen in the Book of Acts when THE HOLY SPIRIT of PROMISE (by JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF), was Evidenced by,

second, to The Gentiles (at Cornelius' House-Acts 10): aka "the uncircumcision",

and third, to John the Baptist's Disciples (at Ephesus-Acts 17): aka both "the circumcision", "the uncircumcision", and even to "the heathen. . .[Abram]Abraham."

Each one of these groups received THE HOLY SPIRIT, as PROMISED by THE GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST; it was all evidenced in the same way/manner; and in the case of Abram, when he became Abraham, many scholars and theologians believed that from the mount where he was to sacrifice Isaac, Abraham could look over (and into the future) and see (just before he saw the ram in the thicket) another MOUNT CALVARY where, "GOD will provide HIMSELF THE LAMB for a burnt-offering, my SON. (Bere****-Genesis 22:8JPS)", to which JESUS CHRIST testified, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see MY day: and he saw it, and was glad. (John 8:56)".

It is ALL about JESUS CHRIST; If anyone, Was Saved, Is Saved, Will be Saved, it was, is, and will be, via JESUS CHRIST; and JESUS CHRIST ALONE.

I hope this helps.

Hi, are you saying That Peter preach the Dispensation of the Mystery that Paul preached ? I can not find IT , and I trust that you have verse , that says that they do ?

THOM
May 10th 2009, 07:37 AM
Hi Dan,

I hope this helps.

Hi, are you saying That Peter preach the Dispensation of the Mystery that Paul preached ? I can not find IT , and I trust that you have verse , that says that they do ?

No, that not what I am "saying"; and the reason that you "can not find IT", is because you're looking for something that does not exist. . .In Scripture.

David2
May 10th 2009, 09:27 AM
When you say "Gospel", you talk about the good news. People tend to think that there is only one piece of good news in the Bible, which is not the case.

What was the gospel preached by Paul? It was about the atonement on the cross and the resurrection to new life.

Did John the Baptist, Christ on earth and the 12 preach this good news? Now, they did not. John prepared the way to present the Messiah to the nation of Israel, and for Israel the coming of the Messiah meant the coming of the kingdom as foretold in the OT. So, the good news announced by John was: "Repent because the kingdom is at hand". Christ and the 12 carried this same kingdom message, but nothing about the cross as way of salvation. Yes, it was a different message of good news.

Did Peter and Paul preach two different gospels? I doubt it. In fact, Peter's letters are full of the message of the cross. Peter might not have used the word "mystery" as Paul has, but that did not change the good news he preached.

slightlypuzzled
May 10th 2009, 01:19 PM
When you say "Gospel", you talk about the good news. People tend to think that there is only one piece of good news in the Bible, which is not the case.

What was the gospel preached by Paul? It was about the atonement on the cross and the resurrection to new life.

Did John the Baptist, Christ on earth and the 12 preach this good news? Now, they did not. John prepared the way to present the Messiah to the nation of Israel, and for Israel the coming of the Messiah meant the coming of the kingdom as foretold in the OT. So, the good news announced by John was: "Repent because the kingdom is at hand". Christ and the 12 carried this same kingdom message, but nothing about the cross as way of salvation. Yes, it was a different message of good news.

Did Peter and Paul preach two different gospels? I doubt it. In fact, Peter's letters are full of the message of the cross. Peter might not have used the word "mystery" as Paul has, but that did not change the good news he preached.

If you read The Gospel of John, you will find that Jesus had much to say about sin, salvation, and His role in the 'Gospel'. Jesus sounds 'suspiciously' like Paul in what John records Him as saying.
Early on, John has this to say about Jesus ministry to 'His own'...
John 1:
0He was in the world, and (N)the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

11He came to His [d]own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.

12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become (O)children of God, even (P)to those who believe in His name,

13(Q)who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

'The world' and 'His own' rejected him, but '...to as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become the children of God...' This is the heart of the word 'Atonement', to be one with God, and at peace with Him...

THOM
May 10th 2009, 03:03 PM
Mind reading is definitely no my forte'. I don't propose to know what "". But I do know that THE WORD of GOD is chalked full of THE GOSPEL. . .and as I have stated in an earlier post, it is ALL ABOUT JESUS CHRIST [THE WORD of GOD]:
When, ". . .a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel", that ["GOSPEL"] GOOD NEWS;
When, ". . .unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.", that ["GOSPEL"] GOOD NEWS;
When, ". . .unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord", that ["GOSPEL"] GOOD NEWS;
When, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word.", that ["GOSPEL"] GOOD NEWS;
When, ". . .when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost", that ["GOSPEL"] GOOD NEWS;
When, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.", that ["GOSPEL"] GOOD NEWS;
When, "He is not here, but is risen...", that ["GOSPEL"] GOOD NEWS...

What was the gospel preached by Paul? It was about the atonement on the cross and the resurrection to new life.WHO brought about this "atonement"?; WHO died on "the cross"? WHO causes this "resurrection to new life"? THE WHO is what was "preached by Paul".

Did John the Baptist, Christ on earth and the 12 preach this good news? Now, they did not.John the Baptist: "Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 3:2);
JESUS CHRIST: "Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 4:17);
The 12: "The kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 10:7).

Gary Rake
May 15th 2009, 12:12 AM
Ok Dan, what is your point? Two of your threads have been shut down and now you are persisting in this point of multiple gospels. What's the big deal?

Please come out front and explain to us the "why" of your position.

This board is for discussion and most work very hard at it. It would be nice if you could use a softer tone with your brothers in Christ. Just because they don't see eye to eye with you about this topic doesn't mean they have lost their salvation...does it? Or to you maybe it does.

Why not be forthwright and explain to us what it is exactly you are trying to say and more importantly WHY you are trying to say it.

Are you up to a genuine discussion? Or are you only in for the fight?

gr

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77