PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Cain And Abel Twins?

truthseeker87
Apr 25th 2009, 03:28 AM
I've been hearing around that Cain and Abel were born on the same day, and well everything that I've heard so far makes plenty of sense. I was wondering if anyone else has heard about this?:help::help:

THOM
Apr 25th 2009, 04:20 AM
I've been hearing around that Cain and Abel were born on the same day, and well everything that I've heard so far makes plenty of sense. I was wondering if anyone else has heard about this?:help::help:

I'd very much like to hear more. Just the wording of Genesis 4:1-2, alone, could possibly be interpreted that way. I would hope that we can see whether what the rest of what you've "heard so far", lines up, PERFECTLY, with ALL, the rest of SCRIPTURE.

I, for one, believe that I am secure enough IN JESUS CHRIST, to hear out when, ". . .it shall come to pass in the last days, saith GOD, I will pour out of MY SPIRIT upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams...".

What is the rest of what you've "heard so far" that "makes plenty of sense"?

Moxie
Apr 25th 2009, 04:56 AM
The MacArthur Study Bible commentary says: "Some thing the boys may have been twins, since no time element intervenes between vs 1 and 2."

It would make sense if you are the only one procreating that multiples would make the process speedier. :rolleyes:

crossnote
Apr 25th 2009, 07:33 AM
On the other hand the Hebrew language does have a word meaning 'twins', it was first used in Genesis 25:24. There is no good reason why it would not have been mentioned if it were so.

-SEEKING-
Apr 25th 2009, 06:09 PM

Haven't heard this. But at the end of the day, does it matter? Will it change your beliefs in any way?

Prufrock
Apr 26th 2009, 02:48 AM
On the other hand the Hebrew language does have a word meaning 'twins', it was first used in Genesis 25:24. There is no good reason why it would not have been mentioned if it were so.
Perhaps, perhaps not. The fact that a language contains a specific word does not mean that the word is necessary in every reference; indeed, a good writer tries to avoid using the same word too many times. Is it necessary, in referring to Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, to specify "the Olsen twins?" Why not "the Olsen girls" or just "the Olsens?" Variety may or may not be the spice of life, but it is certainly an important part of good writing, and God is the best Writer of all. Anyway, the Hebrew teomim (twins) is only used once in reference to Jacob and Esau; we may conclude that God doesn't find it necessary to repeat Himself in every matter.

I have also heard that Cain and Abel were twins, and it makes sense to me. Is it important, practically speaking, to the way we live our Christian lives? Probably not; but that doesn't make the question frivolous or irrelevant. It never hurts to wonder about these things; it would only become counterproductive if we developed an excessive fascination with them.

crossnote
Apr 26th 2009, 04:51 AM
Perhaps, perhaps not. The fact that a language contains a specific word does not mean that the word is necessary in every reference; indeed, a good writer tries to avoid using the same word too many times. Is it necessary, in referring to Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, to specify "the Olsen twins?" Why not "the Olsen girls" or just "the Olsens?" Variety may or may not be the spice of life, but it is certainly an important part of good writing, and God is the best Writer of all. Anyway, the Hebrew teomim (twins) is only used once in reference to Jacob and Esau; we may conclude that God doesn't find it necessary to repeat Himself in every matter.

I have also heard that Cain and Abel were twins, and it makes sense to me. Is it important, practically speaking, to the way we live our Christian lives? Probably not; but that doesn't make the question frivolous or irrelevant. It never hurts to wonder about these things; it would only become counterproductive if we developed an excessive fascination with them.

I think your point of non repetition strengthens my (possible) position since God had not yet used the term 'twin' with Cain and Abel. The whole thing is conjecture and I was trying to show that 'non twin' view had as much evidence if not more as the 'twin' view.

Prufrock
Apr 26th 2009, 05:39 AM
I think your point of non repetition strengthens my (possible) position since God had not yet used the term 'twin' with Cain and Abel. The whole thing is conjecture and I was trying to show that 'non twin' view had as much evidence if not more as the 'twin' view.
The whole thing is conjecture, and it would be folly to claim otherwise. But conjecture can be fun, as long as it isn't graven into stone as doctrine....

THOM
Apr 26th 2009, 09:59 AM

"And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. And she again bare his brother Abel. (Genesis 4:1-2a)".

Hmmm, and it seems that GOD didn't use a second, "And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived," with "Abel", the way HE did with "Cain".

You and the OP claiming, "the whole thing is conjecture", doesn't just make it so, at your word alone. What seems merely "conjecture" to you and the OP, may be due the fact that neither of you can see the "PROOFS", that others see. Maybe? Remember how we all once thought that JESUS CHRIST was Crucified on "Good Friday"?

crossnote
Apr 27th 2009, 05:13 AM
The whole thing is conjecture, and it would be folly to claim otherwise. But conjecture can be fun, as long as it isn't graven into stone as doctrine....

Or taken gravely into our graves..:cool:

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77