PDA

View Full Version : Why is "praying out loud" stressed so much?

Magnetic
Apr 26th 2009, 06:07 PM
I was told that, in my devotion time, I should pray out loud because it says to "shout unto God with the voice of triumph". . . . But I don't know how the human voice has any thing over the mind, which God knows our thoughts. For ME, . . . if I pray out loud, it messes me up than when I am praying in my thoughts.

Can someone shed light on this? Is the prayers within the mind as good as the ones that are spoken audibly?

moonglow
Apr 26th 2009, 07:04 PM
I was told that, in my devotion time, I should pray out loud because it says to "shout unto God with the voice of triumph". . . . But I don't know how the human voice has any thing over the mind, which God knows our thoughts. For ME, . . . if I pray out loud, it messes me up than when I am praying in my thoughts.

Can someone shed light on this? Is the prayers within the mind as good as the ones that are spoken audibly?

I can't find "shout unto God with the voice of triumph" in a verse in the bible...do you know what it is? I wanted to see in in content. There are alot of verses on praying to the Lord, that one sounds more like praising..

When Jesus went up on hills alone and prayed, I don't see them saying they could hear Him praying, though clearly at times He was. I think it can be either way.

Having said that, for most of my life I have prayed silently except in church of course when we prayed together, like the Lord's prayer and when I do bedtime prayers with my son. But then some months ago I started praying out loud and I did notice a difference ..I noticed my prayers were answered much quicker when I prayed out loud. Why..I have no idea.

God bless

livingwaters
Apr 26th 2009, 07:13 PM
Every thing God created, HE spoke into existence. There is life and death in the power of the tongue, says God's Word....all through the OT, they blessed their children by speaking blessings over them. Jesus prayed aloud for HIS Father to bless or accomodate what HE was doing, like at the Last Supper he prayed for the meal to be blessed, the feeding of 5,000 with 5 loaves of bread, HE prayed to the Father to bless the food, calling Lazarus out of the tomb aloud, crying out loud on the cross, forgive them Father for they know not what they do, HE prayed out loud! Don't underestimate the power of oral prayer!!!! When you speak aloud and mention Jesus, satan has to flee....The Word tells us at the sound of Jesus, the devil has to flee!!!! At my house, Jesus tv is on, Jesus music is on, Jesus on the web, Jesus in the car......so, I know satan can't come around me....Glory to God!!! :pp:pp:pp Not to mention learing the Word of God all the while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless:)

Magnetic
Apr 26th 2009, 07:23 PM
When I pray out loud, . . . I am focusing more on my own voice than what I should be saying to God. I know it is supposed to be a greater step of faith, but it does mess me up. I am a quite spoken person, someone who doesn't have a lot of words, so that effects me when I try to pray out loud. I've tried, and will continue to try, . . . . .

HisLeast
Apr 26th 2009, 07:35 PM
I can't speak for everyone.... but whenever I said that I was praying "inside" what actually happened was I prayed for about 10 seconds before my mind wandered into daydreams, work, etc.

Now I try my best to pray out loud, even if its only a whisper when I'm by myself, if only to keep the continuity and concentration where it belongs.

moonglow
Apr 26th 2009, 08:04 PM
When I pray out loud, . . . I am focusing more on my own voice than what I should be saying to God. I know it is supposed to be a greater step of faith, but it does mess me up. I am a quite spoken person, someone who doesn't have a lot of words, so that effects me when I try to pray out loud. I've tried, and will continue to try, . . . . .

I think too many Christians have this idea that they have to prayer formal type of prayers...like we hear in church. Some people have a gift for praying with words that just really get to the meaning of things...most of us don't though.

This is what I prayed out loud last night:

Dear Lord please watch over and heal baby Dawson and DigginDeepers grand baby...please heal her vision and hearing...(then some of what I said to God here was said silently...as I always struggle too with what I want to say), then continued on out loud, please watch over Charles and miepie and lessen their pain Lord...

In Jesus Name I pray..
Amen.

Its certainly nothing fancy by any means I know. Its simple and straight to the point. I don't even speak as loud as I would if I was talking to a person..no need too.

Most of my talking to God though is in my head. With off and on prayers of a sentence or two off and on throughout the day. Try to image talking to a friend or a parent...I think that helps alot. He is our Father after all.

God bless

Josie
Apr 27th 2009, 01:39 AM
I wonder if there is a right way or wrong way to pray, actually I don't think so.
I pray out loud when alone and sometimes I forget when husband is around he thinks I am talking to myself.
He sometimes say what I say oh nothing just talking to God.
Then I pray in silence too.
When I am really distressed in need of an immediate answer I write prayers in a tablet and date them.
I seem to get answers when written faster, then I can go through them and thank him for being there and answering my prayers.

My_King
Apr 27th 2009, 02:00 AM
I pray out loud while I'm driving alone. I talk to God as if I'm talking to a human being - we just "chat." I tell Him all about what's on my mind, or I am thanking HIM for what great things He's done for me lately, etc....

But at home, unless it's meal time, I pray in my head. The only problem with that is if I'm doing it while I'm laying down or before I go to bed, I tend to fall asleep before I can finish!

I will say though - that hearing my husband pray for me, pray for us, pray for our marriage and our lives out loud is a very intimate thing to be a part of. I can't deny it's quite bonding for me to hear those words out of his mouth going to our Lord.....

Those are just my thoughts on the topic.

Toymom
Apr 27th 2009, 03:44 PM
The Bible speaks often about calling upon the name of the Lord. Calling would certainly be out loud. Here are some verses about that:

"I called upon Your name, O Jehovah, from the lowest pit. You have heard my voice; do not hide Your ear at my breathing, at my cry" (Lam. 3:55-56)

"God is now my salvation; I will trust and not dread; for Jah Jehovah is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation. Therefore you will draw water with rejoicing from the springs of salvation, and you will say in that day, Praise Jehovah; call upon His name!...Sing to Jehovah....Cry out and give a ringing shout, O inhabitant of Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel" (Isa. 12:2-6).

"For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him; for whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10:12-13).

These verses also refer to speaking our prayers out loud:

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 For with the heart there is believing unto righteousness, and with the mouth there is confession unto salvation.

dansrib
Apr 27th 2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe Jesus' statement could apply to this: Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven. For sure, there are a lot of passages about the power of the tongue; I think that whatever you speak out loud is confirmed in the physical.

Not to mention that - as Paul said - our battle is with unseen powers, and the way I understand it, the enemy can't read our thoughts. I think that whatever you say, it's like telling the enemy where you are in your walk. I operate on the military idea that you shouldn't let the enemy know what your weaknesses are. So whenever I am struggling with a weakness, I don't voice it; I pray about things like that in my mind.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Peter11
Apr 28th 2009, 12:32 AM
It depends - some people do it to look holier than others in a boastful way and Jesus was always angry with these people , he was always more impressed with the humble repentive person than the one boasting , unless it is to bring glory to god and not yourself. I talk to God out loud and to myself depending where I am , all day , saying thank you lord , or if I'm troubled , help me lord , and so on , I just talk to god and of course i have my prayers and meditation and I read the bible everyday if I can . Now don't get me wrong I am and have been a huge sinner and I battle my self everyday and many days I don't do these things and I fail , but the days that I am close to God are my best days. As long as your comunicating I would say that is praying.One thing I don't do now is ask why me because it is me that has caused the problem. I try to remain thankful and remember that eveything I have , eat , wear , the job I have , the home I live in , the bed I sleep in , the good people around me, the church I go to ,i could go on here forever - was not by my hand but was given to me by God and know that this it true.

Brother Mark
Apr 28th 2009, 12:43 AM

You can pray in your mind. No problem there at all. Generally, I like to speak out loud when I am fighting temptation because, IMO, the spoken word does have power. But scripture teaches us in Romans 8 that sometimes the Spirit prays through us with groanings because there are no words that can speak what we feel. So speaking our prayers is not always necessary.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77