PDA

View Full Version : Which Handbook/Dictionary Should I get?

TripleB
Apr 28th 2009, 06:17 PM
Which is the better Handbook/Guide to the Bible of these 2?

1- The Complete Guide to the Bible by Stephen M. Miller
2- Halley's Bible Handbook by Henry Halley

I know for sure that I'm purchasing the Complete Bible Handbook by John Bowker and the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary by Butler, Brand, Draper, England

Just wondering which one of the other two I should get.

Thanks for any input you can give.

TripleB

grit
Apr 28th 2009, 08:20 PM
They're both going to be formatted similarly to Bowker's Handbook, going book-by-book through the Bible with summaries and extra insights.

Halley's has been around forever it seems, at least since the 60's, while Miller's came out in 2007. That means Halley's is the far more popular of the two. Don't let it's age distract you though, it's been regularly updated and is readily available in either King James Version editions or New International Version editions. Miller's is primarily geared to the New Living Translation, but I don't think any of those translation leanings much effect the general use of the handbook together with your Bible.

I think you'll get a lot out of either Halley's or Miller's handbook, but I'd give an edge to Miller on nuance and Halley on reliability. Overall I think Halley is more of a must-have for any Christian library, but I would actually prefer Miller for the information it contains. Honestly though, if you're already going to have Bowker's Complete Bible Handbook, the others will be much the same sort of study aid. Still, it can be helpful to have some variety for comparison. If it makes a difference, Miller's book is a paperback, while Halley's comes in either paperback or hardcover.

ZAB
Apr 28th 2009, 09:24 PM
Ungers Bible Handbook isn't bad either.

mortehoe
Apr 28th 2009, 09:29 PM
I recently purchased, "The Lion Handbook to the Bible", and I made a mistake: Not by the book it-self but by buying a paperback version. I went out to buy the hardback but the shop only had the paperback one. This looked OK in the shop but now I have it at home I am finding the print so hard to read that I wished I'd held out for the hardback version.
So although buying the right book is important finding one that you are compatible reading is another important factor.

PilgrimPastor
Apr 28th 2009, 10:46 PM
Halley's Bible Handbook by Henry Halley is a great concise and direct tool to get background on the text, major theological themes, etc. Good choice. I don't use mine as much now as I used to, but it is a great tool.

thepenitent
Apr 28th 2009, 11:16 PM
I really like Ryken's Bible handbook. This book is the basis for the book introductions in the ESV study Bible, so if you've got the ESVSB you don't need it, or any other Bible handbook actually.

faithfulfriend
Apr 29th 2009, 12:09 AM
I was pretty impressed with Halley's.

dan p
May 8th 2009, 11:43 PM
Which is the better Handbook/Guide to the Bible of these 2?

1- The Complete Guide to the Bible by Stephen M. Miller
2- Halley's Bible Handbook by Henry Halley

I know for sure that I'm purchasing the Complete Bible Handbook by John Bowker and the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary by Butler, Brand, Draper, England

Just wondering which one of the other two I should get.

Thanks for any input you can give.

TripleB

Hi , I would purchase Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible and W.E.Vine Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words .

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77