PDA

View Full Version : Beelzebub-meaning

mortehoe
Apr 30th 2009, 01:34 PM
What does beelzebub mean please and what does it mean in this passage out of matthew.

Mat 10:25 It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.

Thank you.

faithfulfriend
Apr 30th 2009, 01:38 PM
What does beelzebub mean please and what does it mean in this passage out of matthew.

Mat 10:25 It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.

Thank you.

1) a name of Satan, the prince of evil spirits

That according to Strong's Concordance.

markedward
Apr 30th 2009, 04:50 PM
The literal definition and etymology:

"Beelzebub" comes directly from "Baal-zebub".

Baal = "master"
zebub = "fly"

Baal-zebub/Beelzebub literally means "master [of the] fly", and is usually rendered as "lord of the flies". It was initially the name of a Canaanite deity in ancient Israel, but by the time of Christ, the name was apparently associated with Satan.

THOM
Apr 30th 2009, 05:53 PM

Mat 10:25It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.

Thank you.

1) a name of Satan, the prince of evil spirits

That according to Strong's Concordance.

The literal definition and etymology:

"Beelzebub" comes directly from "Baal-zebub".

Baal = "master"
zebub = "fly"

Baal-zebub/Beelzebub literally means "master [of the] fly", and is usually rendered as "lord of the flies". It was initially the name of a Canaanite deity in ancient Israel, but by the time of Christ, the name was apparently associated with Satan.

Hi Mortehoe, I'm in agreement with both FaithfulFriend and MarkEdward. As for what it means, its kinda like stating that, if they ["persecutors" (in verse 23)] would refer to JESUS ["THE MASTER of The House"] as being SOMEONE and/or Something like feces/"dung", then they're going to call us [HIS Household] little balls of feces/"dung", etc. And as bad as that is, I have seen some things that they have called MY LORD, far worse that what I have stated here.

jes83
May 2nd 2009, 12:31 PM

Mat 10:25It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.

Thank you.

He also is referred to in II Kings 1 as the god of Ekron. I believe as stated earlier lord of the flies is the most exact meaning of his name. In this passage in Matthew Jesus is saying that if they persecuted Jesus Himself and treated Him like He was the devil they/we also will be presecuted and treated like we His followers are devils.

Paul speaks of believers as household of faith: "As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them of the household of faith." Galatians 6:10 He put even better in Ephesians 2:19 "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;"

The Apostle Paul also speaks of the believers in Christ having to suffer.
II Timothy 3:12
"Yea and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."

crossnote
May 3rd 2009, 07:07 AM
A clip from Fausset's commentary.

"
Beelzebul
So it ought to be read in Mat_12:24; Mar_3:22; Luk_11:15, etc. The Jews, in ridicule, changed Baalzebub, the Ekronite "god of flies", into Beelzebul, "god of dung" (which however is zebel, as they changed Beth-el ("house of God") into Beth-aven ("house of vanity"), when the golden calf was set up there. Zebul means "dwelling," lord of this lower world, "prince of the power of the air" (Eph_2:2), and taking up his "dwelling" in human bodies (Mat_12:45).
Thus "master of the house" and "master of the dwelling" (Beelzebul) stand in happy contrast (Mat_10:25). As the Ekronite god was applied to by Ahaziah to cast, out his disease, so the Jews taunted Jesus as using the same idol power to cast out demons. Idols and demons, moreover, had a close connection (1Co_10:20-21). Beelzebul was thought to be the foul prince of both."

76 trombones
May 4th 2009, 04:00 PM
This is definitely to play on words "The Lord of The Flies" and "The Lord of the Dwelling" and to recall how Jesus' opponents accused Him of doing miracles through the power of Satan. I am also provoked by reading somewhere that the Freemasons honour some kind of secret name Jabulon in their rituals...I am convinced it is probably none other than the Devil. The Lord of Dwellings or Temples is another name for an antichristian spirit.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77