PDA

View Full Version : Matthew 10:34&35 question

mortehoe
Apr 30th 2009, 08:30 PM
Mat 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

I have looked up commentaries up on this and they all say different things. What is meant by a sword? And if sword means something else like I have read in some commentaries why does it-when it clearly says sword?
Also what is meant by the complete two sentences.
I am not sure what Jesus is saying.

Thank you.

RabbiKnife
Apr 30th 2009, 08:35 PM
Mat 10:34"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

I have looked up commentaries up on this and they all say different things. What is meant by a sword? And if sword means something else like I have read in some commentaries why does it-when it clearly says sword?

Thank you.

My interpretation:

"If you think that loving Jesus means that everyone will love each other, hold hands and sing "Kum Bah Yah" and tell you what a good boy you are, you are wrong. Families will fight because some will believe in me and some won't"

Read the entire chapter in its context. People were looking for a Messiah who would bring a universal peace and prosperity to them, and Jesus said that believers in Him would have persecution and trouble.

pekoe
Apr 30th 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi mortehoe.
I think Jesus meant that people would be divided over Him. The sword is opposite of peace. He speaks of our foes being members of our own homes. We are in a war. Just remember, He told Peter to put the sword away.

BroRog
Apr 30th 2009, 09:04 PM
Mat 10:34"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

Thank you.

Jesus is making an analogy. In verse 24 he speaks in a word picture form, and then in verse 25 he explains what the word picture means.

Some people ask, "Well, why didn't Jesus just come right out and say it plainly?" I believe the answer is this. A word picture gives more information in fewer words.

The sword is an offensive weapon used in battle. Keeping that concept in mind, then, we understand that family members will get in arguments over who is Jesus, what did he come to do, why did he die on a cross, and etc.? Both those who argue on the side of Jesus and those who argue against him are going to be on the offensive.

The main point is to say that our bond with Jesus will be stronger than our family bond and that some folks will have to make a choice between Jesus and family, because members of our own household will be against him and us.

Sojourner
Apr 30th 2009, 09:43 PM
Yup! the sword here is a metaphor for division or strong disagreement.

THOM
Apr 30th 2009, 10:24 PM

Thank you.

Yup! the sword here is a metaphor for division or strong disagreement.

Mortehoe, Sojourner sums it up very well. Siding with JESUS CHRIST will often bring strong division and strong disagreement among households, among family member, among friends, etc. HIS First coming was not "to bring peace", but "a sword (a divider, if you will)". . ."peace" won't happen until HIS Millennial (1000 years) Rule.

mortehoe
May 1st 2009, 04:28 PM
Some people ask, "Well, why didn't Jesus just come right out and say it plainly?"

Yes, that was what I was think when I asked the question. But I got there in the end.

Thanks everybody for your answers.

Butch5
May 2nd 2009, 01:58 AM

Thank you.

It does mean sword. Jesus is telling the disciples that the message they are going to bring, is going to divide the people.

scottinnj
May 2nd 2009, 04:09 AM
It does mean sword. Jesus is telling the disciples that the message they are going to bring, is going to divide the people.

QFT. Absolutely. There are going to be relationships in your life that will die because of your allegiance to Christ.
The choice is yours...follow Christ or hang with family/friends who want nothing to do with Him.

Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. For either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and man."

This is why Jesus tells us not to be unequally yoked with non-believers, in business partnerships, marriage and friendships in general. Your desire to be accepted by those around you who reject Jesus' teachings will be so great you'll wind up like Peter and deny Him to impress those around you.

crossnote
May 2nd 2009, 06:35 AM

Thank you.

And the next verse
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
(Mat 10:36)

The original question has been answered but I would like to take note concerning many Christian parents who struggle with guilt because they 'raised their children in the admonishion of the Lord' and yet their child/children went astray. What Jesus says here and elsewhere such as
"And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death, (Mat 10:21) shows that rebellion of children amongst christian homes is not necessarily the fault of the parent and the conscientious parent should not be quick to assume guilt onto himself.

dan p
May 8th 2009, 11:33 PM

Thank you.

1) I believe that NO ONE adressed that context .

2) The Greek word is MACHAIRA , means for ordinary violence or dissension .

3) If you look at verse 6-22 , lets us know ( v22 ) that it is speaking of the Tribulation period , without a doubt , compare Matt 24:13, uses that same PHARSE , " ENDURES TO THE END , the end on the Tribulation .

4) Read Matt 6-42 , to get the Context . Get rid of those commentries and buy Dispensational ones , not I needed one for this post , dan p

th1bill
May 9th 2009, 12:06 AM

Thank you.

29 (sword:///Matthew%2010:29) ďArenít two sparrows sold for an assarion? Not one of them falls on the ground apart from your Fatherís will,
30 (sword:///Matthew%2010:30) but the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 (sword:///Matthew%2010:31) Therefore donít be afraid. You (P (http://bibleforums.org/passagestudy.jsp?action=showMorph&type=Greek&value=P)) are of more value than many sparrows.
32 (sword:///Matthew%2010:32) Everyone therefore who confesses me before men, him I will also confess before my Father who is in heaven.
33 (sword:///Matthew%2010:33) But whoever denies me before men, him I will also deny before my Father who is in heaven.

34 (sword:///Matthew%2010:34) ďDonít think that I came to send peace on the earth. I didnít come to send peace, but a sword.
35 (sword:///Matthew%2010:35) For I came to set a man at odds against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36 (sword:///Matthew%2010:36) A manís foes will be those of his own household.
37 (sword:///Matthew%2010:37) He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me isnít worthy of me.
38 (sword:///Matthew%2010:38) He who doesnít take his cross and follow after me, isnít worthy of me.
39 (sword:///Matthew%2010:39) He who finds his life will lose it; and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.
40 (sword:///Matthew%2010:40) He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives him who sent me.
41 (sword:///Matthew%2010:41) He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophetís reward: and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man will receive a righteous manís reward.
42 (sword:///Matthew%2010:42) Whoever gives one of these little ones just a cup of cold water to drink in the name of a disciple, most assuredly I tell you he will in no way lose his reward.Ē
... You need to read at least two paragraphs here to get the sense of what is being said in the two verses you've quoted. Christ prefaces His statement with an example of how important we are to God the Father with the paragraph covered in v.29-33. Then He moves forward in the next paragraph, v.34-42, He explains how we are to love God. We must be willing to part with our loved ones (as though cut apart by the Sword, the Word of God) and even in death we must be indivisible with God.
... You have struck upon one of the hardest teachings of the Bible and yet it might well be considered the most important that any Christian can learn.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77