PDA

View Full Version : The word of God

cross crusader
May 1st 2009, 03:07 AM
Hewbrews 4:12 says that the word of God is living and active, or powerful depending on which translation you use.
My question is this, when something is alive and active, it usually impacts and affects the world around it, either positively or negatively. but nonetheless, if makes an impact. what impact is the church making in the world? we see a decline in the moral fiber not only in our communities but most importantly in the church worst of all. the Lord gave me a word the other day, it was passion, He began to go into detail of what that meant, He took me to the church of laodicea, we are the church of laodicea, not everyone but most, we either need to get passionate about the Lord or just give up playing church. because we are not doing anyone any good, most importantly ourselves. So what would Jesus have us do in this time? what should we be doing? are we doing EVERYTHING we can to further His kingdom? thoughts?

markedward
May 1st 2009, 04:25 AM
In the US, maybe. Worldwide, the Church is growing.

Christians in the US always assume the entirety of the Church is going downhill simply because of the US-centricism many American Christians have. (Hence, tons of Christians placed the US and the president as being major factors during the end-times.) The Church might be going downhill in the US (and even that depends on what perspective you're looking from), but outside of it, God's Kingdom is moving forward.

ZAB
May 1st 2009, 05:34 AM
Just because portions of the church are not effective and impacting their surroundings doesn't mean the Word of God is not. The problem lies with us, not the Word of God, I can assure you of that. What was Jesus' first counsel for such a lukewram state as the Laodiceans? He said, "I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see" (Rev 3:18). All of these things have great significance, and we can delve into it if you are interested, but for now, let's just address the gold. Gold is symbolic in Scripture of God's divine nature. This nature is only worked into our lives completely by the sanctifying processes of the Word (see Ps 119; Jn 8:31-32; 17:17; etc). How interesting that this gold is found in the "fire". This is the place of God's dealings. The Word of God will cut you open, but are we willing to let Him change us? The Laodiceans were not. They were comfortable. That's a dangerous place to be. So, in effect, Jesus was telling them to return to the Word of God, for in it is their cure! What the body of Christ needs more than anything is disciples - those who give themselves to the kingdom of God. Unfortunately, it can too often be said of us, "The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider" (Isa 1:3). God help us.

crossnote
May 1st 2009, 06:04 AM
Hewbrews 4:12 says that the word of God is living and active, or powerful depending on which translation you use.
My question is this, when something is alive and active, it usually impacts and affects the world around it, either positively or negatively. but nonetheless, if makes an impact. what impact is the church making in the world? we see a decline in the moral fiber not only in our communities but most importantly in the church worst of all. the Lord gave me a word the other day, it was passion, He began to go into detail of what that meant, He took me to the church of laodicea, we are the church of laodicea, not everyone but most, we either need to get passionate about the Lord or just give up playing church. because we are not doing anyone any good, most importantly ourselves. So what would Jesus have us do in this time? what should we be doing? are we doing EVERYTHING we can to further His kingdom? thoughts?

If you are likening the US church to the Laodeceans then your answer is right in that same passage.
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
(Rev 3:18-19)

I also think the Lord has His ways of stirring a Church to action such as turning up the room temperature...persecution does it every time.

cross crusader
May 2nd 2009, 05:02 AM
In the US, maybe. Worldwide, the Church is growing.

Christians in the US always assume the entirety of the Church is going downhill simply because of the US-centricism many American Christians have. (Hence, tons of Christians placed the US and the president as being major factors during the end-times.) The Church might be going downhill in the US (and even that depends on what perspective you're looking from), but outside of it, God's Kingdom is moving forward.
really Gods kingdom is going forward world wide? is that why there is famine and disease and great acts of sexual misconduct throughout the world? what about poverty? just because there is glimmers of christianity throughout the world doesnt mean it is really impacting anything. if christians worldwide did what we are supposed to then i cannot see disease and famine being as it is.

Equipped_4_Love
May 2nd 2009, 05:51 AM
really Gods kingdom is going forward world wide? is that why there is famine and disease and great acts of sexual misconduct throughout the world?

Because God said that's the way it would be.

God prophesied that, during the end times, disease and pestilence would increase. Even if every single Christian did everything right, it would still not eradicate pestilence or famine, because it was prophesied by God Himself as an end-times reality...otherwise, His word would return void!!

if christians worldwide did what we are supposed to then i cannot see disease and famine being as it is.

It has nothing to do with what we are and aren't doing as Christians. It has everything to do with what God said would happen.

σяєяυииєя
May 2nd 2009, 10:37 PM
Really Gods kingdom is going forward world wide? is that why there is famine and disease and great acts of sexual misconduct throughout the world? what about poverty? just because there is glimmers of christianity throughout the world doesnt mean it is really impacting anything. if christians worldwide did what we are supposed to then i cannot see disease and famine being as it is.

Hi яυѕα∂єя,

Well we are waiting for the later rain, and it reminds me of a verse I`d like to share:

But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;

But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.

And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian. Luke 4:25-27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke%204;&version=9;)

Thusly disease and famine was not promised to be eliminated. As for poverty:
For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. Matthew 26:11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%2026;&version=9;)

Nonetheless I am in agreement that if Christians worldwide did what we are supposed to... Jesus would have come a long time ago.

Pєαє

theBelovedDisciple
May 2nd 2009, 10:41 PM
The Word of God tells us these things will increase as we get closer to His 2nd Coming... they are the 'birth pangs'...

and the Word of God tells us there will be those who don't believe that He is Returning.. soon.. they were talking about and looking for His Return in the book of Acts... and that was a long time ago... a long time ago.. and today we are 'closer' to His 2nd Advent than the days when the book of Acts was penned by the writer who was under the Direction of the Holy Ghost..

Listen to what Peter tells us...

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation.

For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

[Seeing] then [that] all these things shall be dissolved, [I]what manner [of persons] ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness,

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

That Blessed Hope.. the Return of Jesus the Christ.. from Heaven..

He is the Only Answer to all these problems.. and He will Return...

today is One Day Closer than yesterday..

His Return... its what He Promised and It will Happen... and its Hope for those who are In Him and Found In Him...

joedelsy
May 2nd 2009, 10:47 PM
He was basing his prediction on famine and disease today. Sure it will increase as the second coming is closer, famine has not.

TrophyofGrace
May 2nd 2009, 11:05 PM
We've been in the end times for hundreds of years too. ;)

Yes we are in the Laodicean age, and things are going to get a lot worse when God removes His Holy Spirit from the world completely.

cross crusader, you gave the verse:

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The church is comprised of individuals and it is the word of God working on individuals that determines the effectiveness of the body. The problem is that many, many individuals don't take God at His word. A lot of Christians don't even read the Bible, let alone apply its principles to their lives. The Bible is also likened to a mirror:

Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

There are too many Christians who don't pay attention to what they see in the mirror and are content to be hearers only.

What would Jesus have us do in this time? I don't believe the Great Commission has ever been rescinded:
Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The fields where I am remain white unto harvest.

Are we doing everything we can to further His Kingdom? Well, if we're not, you can rest assured that we will give account to Him one day.

Ro 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Ro 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Personally, I want to live my life in such a way that when I die, I hear from Him:

Mt. 25:21 Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

joedelsy
May 2nd 2009, 11:13 PM
We've been in the end times for hundreds of years too. ;)

true ..... .............

livingwaters
May 2nd 2009, 11:41 PM
Luke 12:40 "Be you therefore ready also; for the Son of Man comes at an hour when you think not."

Church, let's be ready...let's come together as one to be the Bride that Jesus will come back for, Ephesians 5:27: "That HE might present it to HIMSELF a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be Holy and without blemish."

God Bless!!:pp:pp:pp:)

Oh, in answer to the OP, there is not, nor was there ever, anything wrong with God's Word.....the Word will always be the Word; no matter what we think about it...it's always been God's people who disobey what our Father commands and continues to command of us! We had better get with the program!

Aliosias
May 26th 2009, 03:19 PM
The Church seriously needs re-focus off of the trivial and worldly things that they are involved in.. Somehow preaching has seeped in that makes one believe that believers have to get good first before graduating from being a baby Christian.. Well that happy day is never going to come if all they are doing is sitting at home, reading the bible-- trying to please God by improving their attitudes and behaviors, and thereby living unto themselves.

The best way to cultivate a love walk is through personal ministry to others (helping others with their spiritual life). That requires action, time, and involvement which automatically disqualifies most of the church.

At the root of this problem is poor preaching ie. preaching that does not exort the congregation into the path of discipleship--promoting the idea that they are inadequate or not ready for some reason. This has got to change.

Churches, that are not encouraging and equipping its members to disciple
other believers, should be turned away from.

Now is the day of salvation!
Now is the day of the equipping of the saints!
Now is the day of Jesus Christ!

tgallison
May 26th 2009, 11:12 PM
Listen to what Peter tells us..But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

theBelovedDisciple greetings

Have you ever considered that the thousand years is our time, and the day is the Lords. God created all things in six days, and for each day of God's creation we are given a thousand years on earth. Remember that God rested one day, but the time of rest from Satan is a thousand years.

Just a thought, not dogma.

Terrell

TrustingFollower
May 27th 2009, 01:44 AM
The majority of the church world wide today has their heads in the sand. I will share just a small taste of the need that is right here in every city in the USA. As we drive on any major highway in this country we can not avoid seeing an 18 wheeler. There are approximately 4 million trucks on the road all over this country. The men and women driving these trucks spend the majority of their time alone. Our enemy in this world uses that isolation against all these people out there. As one of these people I have seen what little faith there is out there in this community.

Has anyone here every stopped at one of the truck stops in the cities around where you live to try to spread the gospel to these people. I am willing to bet that the answer is no. Now I am not just pointing out faults here as I was just as guilty before God put me in that community. All these men and women are crying out in their own way for the love God has for them. This is not just true for the truck drivers, but there are also the people that work in the truck stops as well as the women stuck in the prostitution rings that frequent the truck stops.

Literally millions of lives can be reached through this industry. Most of the truckers want to interact with us and to talk with us, but we have built walls and we are afraid of them. The majority of us in the church won't go out and visit these people because we look at them as second class people because they don't live in fine paneled houses. We see the dirty heathen that looks like a criminal. I assure these are people that God loves and wants in His kingdom with Jesus.

Matthew 22:8-10 Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. (9) Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.' (10) And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.

We are the servants that Jesus wants to go into the streets and invite all to the wedding feast. This is the great commission and the mission field is right here in our own back yards. So as I said in the beginning of this post the church for the most part has their head buried in the sand and does not want to see the need right around us. I have shared just one little part of the need out there in the USA, but we have to go to them, they are not going to come knock on our doors. We do need to read our bibles, but more than that we have to get off our bottoms and be the hands and feet of Christ in every city and every neighborhood. We take the Word out to the people and the Word will do it's part. We have to be obedient to what the word says and do it.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77