PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Our Mansion In Heaven - Literal or Spiritual

Master Jake
May 1st 2009, 04:25 AM
So the bible talks about a mansion we will have in heaven. Is this a literal mansion as we would think of it today or some sort of spiritual riddle that the Bible is oh so famous of being filled with? :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone know what it might be like in heaven. Will there be things that we enjoyed on earth and were "destined" to do. Me for instance likes computers and programmer. Will there be some sort of "programming" I do in heaven?

manichunter
May 1st 2009, 04:59 AM
So the bible talks about a mansion we will have in heaven. Is this a literal mansion as we would think of it today or some sort of spiritual riddle that the Bible is oh so famous of being filled with? :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone know what it might be like in heaven. Will there be things that we enjoyed on earth and were "destined" to do. Me for instance likes computers and programmer. Will there be some sort of "programming" I do in heaven?

Actually the Greek is better translated reserved spot or location for a specific person that cannot be taken by another. It is connected to the cultural understanding of the Jewish wedding customs. The body of Christ is the Bethroled bride at the moment, and Jesus has to provide a permanent dwelling for us in order to consumate the marriage. So we are considered marriage, with yet a few more steps to undergo, like the finality of the Great Wedding Feast in the New Jerusalem. The idea of deeded land or property is another thought assigned to it.

Sojourner
May 1st 2009, 06:54 AM
So the bible talks about a mansion we will have in heaven. Is this a literal mansion...In the original lauguage it means "abode" (a place to dwell).

THOM
May 1st 2009, 02:40 PM

I believe each one to be "a literal mansion". And here's one major reason why: By their very make up, "mansions" are larger than any one "house". But GOD'S "house" is so Huge, that you can fit "mansions" inside. . .now just think about how deep that is.

Actually, there's to be a New Earth as well. And the short answer about what it'll be like, is A Perfect Utopia. . .THE WAY GOD Intended in the First Place.

Toymom
May 1st 2009, 02:56 PM
No mansion.
As was explained, the word is abode or dwelling place.
Our human spirits are the abodes or dwelling places for the Lord's spirit.
When we are regenerated His Holy Spirit comes into our human spirit and dwells there.
That is why we are the temple of God.
We are His dwelling place.
No one is "going to heaven".
There are no verses to support that.
Our eternal destination will be to be a part of the holy city New Jerusalem which will decend out of heaven from God.

Teke
May 1st 2009, 03:23 PM

Actually John 14:2 says "many mansions" which is literally "many dwelling places", a word picture of numerous living units surrounding a central courtyard-an abundance of living accommodations. "Mansions" also speaks of the multiplicity of blessings which await those who enter the Kingdom of God.

kenramse
May 1st 2009, 05:26 PM
Actually the Greek is better translated reserved spot or location for a specific person that cannot be taken by another. It is connected to the cultural understanding of the Jewish wedding customs. The body of Christ is the Bethroled bride at the moment, and Jesus has to provide a permanent dwelling for us in order to consumate the marriage. So we are considered marriage, with yet a few more steps to undergo, like the finality of the Great Wedding Feast in the New Jerusalem. The idea of deeded land or property is another thought assigned to it.

I agree with manichunter for the most part. I believe that the meaning that Jesus was conveying to his disciples in the quote from John 14:2 reflects greatly on the relationship that we have with Jesus comparable to the Jewish practice at the time of his manifestation. One responsibility of the newly betrothed groom was to go to the home of his parents and make ready a room or a house on the property as an abode where the bride could live during her year of engagement in preparation for the lifetime of marriage awaiting her. In that "mansion" she would become familiar with the family, learning to relate to the father and mother. She would be a de facto member of the family, preparing and participating in meals and growing in a familial relationship with the groom's brother's and sisters. So as Jesus has gone to prepare a place for each of us, we are to be in fellowship with our brothers and sisters, growing in love, developing in the family of God until the day of our marriage feast wth Him in our Father's house.

RabbiKnife
May 1st 2009, 05:30 PM
Who cares?

Whatever "heaven" is, Jesus is there, sin is not, and I'll figure out the rest on the fly!

manofmyconvictions
May 1st 2009, 06:05 PM
In the end of Revelation there is a New Jerusalem and new heavens and new Earth. So it's not out of the realm of possiblities for Jesus to be making us physical places to live. Heaven seems to just be a restored creation on this Earth, if you take that part of Revelation literally.

Plus this isn't just about us. The church is being built as a temple as a place for God to dwell.

Ephesians 2

19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

manofmyconvictions
May 1st 2009, 06:06 PM
So maybe the mansion Jesus is building is actually his church?? Maybe you are in fact one of the rooms in the temple he's building????

THOM
May 1st 2009, 06:10 PM
Who cares?

Those of us who, Free willingly, choose to enter into a discussion of it.
We care.

Emanate
May 1st 2009, 07:35 PM
Who cares?

Whatever "heaven" is, Jesus is there, sin is not, and I'll figure out the rest on the fly!

haha, RabbiKnife is gonna get a plain ol house.

Emanate
May 1st 2009, 07:35 PM
So maybe the mansion Jesus is building is actually his church??

Sorry, this is no Mansion.

RabbiKnife
May 1st 2009, 07:36 PM
haha, RabbiKnife is gonna get a plain ol house.

Probably just a cabin in the corner of gloryland...

:lol:

Actually, I'm shooting for either a galaxy or two or a "just a room somewhere, far away from the cold, damp air, with one enormous chair, OH! wouldn't it be lovely."

Whichever is fine....

Emanate
May 1st 2009, 07:37 PM
God's house = Temple

Master Jake
May 1st 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the replies :) I want to be on the New Earth one (it seems more fitting for me, i like it here now so i'll really like it when there's no pain or sorrow).

Still yet, no one answered my second question about if there will be stuff we like on earth in heaven :cry:

Bladers
May 1st 2009, 08:28 PM
Someone said, No one is going to heaven.
That contradicts the scripture which plainly says we will.
People are in heaven right now.
There will be a new heaven and new earth and new Jerusalem.
We will all inhabit it all.

There will be dwelling places in heaven, you can call it mansions or not. But there will be dwelling places.

Butch5
May 2nd 2009, 01:10 AM

Where does Scripture teach we will have mansions in heaven?

Butch5
May 2nd 2009, 01:13 AM
No mansion.
When we are regenerated His Holy Spirit comes into our human spirit and dwells there.
Our eternal destination will be to be a part of the holy city New Jerusalem which will decend out of heaven from God.

Agreed, we will be in the new earth, and Abraham will be given the land that wa promised to him for an eternal possession.

Cgriggs
Aug 6th 2014, 01:30 PM
See "My Mansion In The Sky" in the Poetry section. LOL
Charlie

Walls
Aug 6th 2014, 02:49 PM
No mansion.

Well done.

The Father's House in scripture is ALWAYS;

the Tabernacle
Solomon's Temple
Zerubbabel's Temple
Christ's Body
the Church
the individual Christian.

The theme of John's gospel is how to get LIFE into a believer (Jn.20:30-31), the "Father's House" that has many "Abodes" (literal Greek). John Chapter 1 introduces the Word, the Word made Man, the Lamb, the Holy Spirit, Nathan and Peter a stone for BETHEL, the House of God. In Chapter 2 our Lord said that the Father's House was NOW His Body. In Chapter 3 we see how God gets INTO a man - by rebirth, and that He dwells ONLY in the spirit of the man (the Holy of Holies of a man - Jn.3:6). Chapter 4 is to show that the Gentiles will also become the House of God and must worship in their spirits - the new PLACE of true worship. Thus, by Chapter 14 we have the Lord going to prepare a place in this Body, and the coming again is for the MANY "Abodes" of God - the individual Christians, millions in number, as they become "Abodes" in the Father's House - Christ's Body.

The Lord said He would go away, AND then return so that the disciples could be where He "IS" (Jn.14:3 - present tense). In John 14:20 our Lord Jesus tells were He "IS" - present tense.

"At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you."

He IS (present tense) in the Father and the Father in Him. So the Lord promises to go, then return and place the Father in the disciples and the disciples in the Father. This happened on resurrection day in John.20:22. Notice the sequence of events. Our Lord is resurrected. He is seen by the women, but He forbids them to touch Him because He must FIRST present Himself as the First Fruits of the dead to His Father (Jn.20:17). But later that day He appears to His disciples and says "touch me" (Lk.24:39). The Lord had died, risen, gone AWAY to the Father, RETURNED and then He breathes the Tri-une God INTO His disciples to make them the many "Abodes" in His Father's House. Thus, John 14:1-3 is all fulfilled by the evening of resurrection day.

Glorious
Aug 6th 2014, 05:21 PM
Heaven is a place not like the earth. God dwells in Heaven, but manifests on earth in the form of flesh (Emmanuel) and in the form of Spirit (Holy Ghost).

Heaven and things therein have a completely different reality to God and spirits in Heaven than our reality of things on earth.

Mansions are built in Heaven for believers who make it to Heaven and are saints made perfect. I believe mansions (abodes) in Heaven need not be seen as or compared with mansions built on earth.

They (mansions in Heaven) can only be reduced into images, forms and realities that fit our understanding as flesh and spirits beings. They will make absolutely no sense to most of us if rendered just the way they are in Heaven.

Remember how Peter, James and John wanted to erect tents for the Son of God, Moses and Elijah respectively when the Lord Jesus Christ transfigured to appear with His kingdom and glory before them (the disciples)?

Of course, nobody paid attention to their tents building offer, seeing that the Son of God, by Himself, prepares places and builds mansions in Heaven for the elect of God. Where do you suppose Moses and Elijah, seen taking with Him, abide if not in their mansions?

Therefore, the fact that we are spiritual houses on earth does not mean that there are no real substantive mansions built for us in Heaven by God. It is just that a mansion in Heaven, coming down into the earth realm, is made to abide in us who believe.

The Lord Jesus Christ said He is going to prepare the mansions and come to receive us (see John 14:3), suggesting that the mansions are in a place not our bodies and the place/way to which the disciples know (John 14:4). He did not say I am going away to prepare you as a mansion so that I can come back to dwell in you.

Walls
Aug 7th 2014, 04:51 PM
The discussion usually starts because of the word "Mansions". The Greek word is the same one used in verse 23 which is correctly translated "abode". Thus, the text under discussion should read;

"1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many abodes: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

Although the King James Bible is probably one of the best English Translations, it must be remembered under what conditions it was commissioned by King James VI.

King James himself was no great Christian. He, and the kings of England before him who had commissioned English Translations, were intent on extricating themselves from under the power of the Pope of the Roman Church, and knew that if the common man read and understood the bible, they would very shortly see that both the Pope and the Roman Church were counterfeits, and they would turn their allegiance to him (for the bible demands subjection to government - Tit.3:1; 1st Pet.2:13-19). King James also knew that if the bible was read accurately that the common man would also find out that find out that it is to the Church that the "keys" of the Kingdom are given, and that the Elders rule only in the matter of order in the Church. In 1st Corinthians 5 and Acts 14 and 15, it is the Church that excommunicates and the Church that makes decisions (albeit with the teachers' and elders' advice). So King James insisted that the clergy/laity system be upheld in the translation. Thus, we have words like "bishop" instead of Elder or Overseer.
The English translations were commissioned on new ground. For about 1'000 years the Roman Church had locked the bible away from the common man and declared that only the clergy may read, study and interpret it. During these approximately 1'000 years, the Christian beliefs were based largely on Roman tradition. So, our most excellent translators, gifted as they were, and moved by the Holy Spirit as no doubt they were, suffered from this Millennium of tradition. This can be seen in Acts 12:4 where they translated "Passah" (the Jewish Passover) as "Easter". And for a thousand years, Catholic priests, being schooled in the fine art of Free Mason tradition, or conversely, the religion of ancient Egypt (with its idol statues and obelisks), had been teaching that if a man lived a good life he could expect to go the "Celestial Lodge" after death. So Catholic Priests had been standing at gravesides for many centuries declaring the dead man or woman as going to a heavenly "abode", or a "Mansion" in the sky. And so we have this somewhat liberal translation of the word "Abode" in John 14:2.

This word "Mansion" is not misleading in itself, but when the "Father's House" is declared to be heaven, the whole is very misleading. But if scripture is interpreted by scripture and not by the imaginations of fallen men (2nd Pet.1:20), the Father's House throughout the bible is;

The Tabernacle of the Wilderness (Ex.15:17; 25:8)
Solomon's Temple (1st Ki.6:1 etc.)
Zerubbabel's Temple (Neh.6:10; Jn.2:16 etc.)
The Body of Jesus Christ (Jn.2:21)
The Church (1st Tim.3:15 etc.)
The Individual Christian (1st Cor.6:19 etc.)

If one uses scripture to interpret scripture like this then we come to the right understanding of John 14:1-3. The Lord Jesus predicted that He would go away to prepare "abodes" that already existed, but that needed to be "prepared". What "preparation" one must ask? The cleansing of sin is the answer. The "Abodes" were already there but they needed to be cleansed before a Holy God could enter in and dwell there. So our Lord Jesus dies, is resurrected (to prove that all sins had been dealt with) and then presented Himself to the Father as Firtsfruits from the dead. Later that day He returned as predicted, to breath Himself INTO His disciples making them the MANY Abodes in the Father's House - the extended Body of Christ (1st Cor.12:12-27 - especially verse 27).

The whole plan of God was to make man His dwelling place right from the beginning. Man was placed before the Tree of Life and commanded to eat. If man had eaten of this Tree the fruit would have been IN HIM, and organically one with him - making him "partaker of the divine nature". But man had to wait until sin was effectively put away before this grand plan could be realized. So, of us Christians 2 Peter 1:3-4 says;

"3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

John 14 is the prediction of this, and John 20:22 is the fulfillment of it.

Crosstalk
Aug 13th 2014, 02:29 AM
I think that the "mansion" (dwelling place) will be our new tabernacle, or new glorified body. We will need no other dwelling place for our spirit ever again.

There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 1 Cor. 15:40-44

Why would we even need a house or building? We will never sleep (no bedroom). We will eat and even drink (Rev. 22:1-2), but we won't need a kitchen or dining room. We won't need a living room, and if we wanted to entertain, you would have to invite everyone in Heaven since we are all brothers and sisters. ;)

Walls
Aug 13th 2014, 12:11 PM
I think that the "mansion" (dwelling place) will be our new tabernacle, or new glorified body. We will need no other dwelling place for our spirit ever again.

There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 1 Cor. 15:40-44

Why would we even need a house or building? We will never sleep (no bedroom). We will eat and even drink (Rev. 22:1-2), but we won't need a kitchen or dining room. We won't need a living room, and if we wanted to entertain, you would have to invite everyone in Heaven since we are all brothers and sisters. ;)

Have you ever considered that our old, corrupt, failing, sick and dying bodies are the Tabernacle NOW?

Written in about 55 AD, 25 years after Jesus Christ was raised from the dead:_

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (1st Corinthians 3:16)

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" 1st Corinthians 6:19)

And that those same Christians were; "... the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth." (1st Timothy 3:15)

petrobb
Aug 13th 2014, 09:11 PM
Have you ever considered that our old, corrupt, failing, sick and dying bodies are the Tabernacle NOW?

Written in about 55 AD, 25 years after Jesus Christ was raised from the dead:_

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (1st Corinthians 3:16)

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" 1st Corinthians 6:19)

And that those same Christians were; "... the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth." (1st Timothy 3:15)

As so often in Scripture taking the words simply to mean what they say will bring us to the correct solution. The word translated mansions is literally 'resting places. The phrase 'my Father's house' is unique in Scripture. Jesus was certainly not talking about a physical Temple for He had made clear that the Temple was nearing the end of its existence.

The resting places He was talking about were to be found in the place where He was going. And He was going to Heaven.

What Jesus was telling His disciples was that whatever happened to them in this life, once they passed on they would have a resting place reserved for them 'in His Father's house', that was, in Heaven. Indeed He was going there to prepare a place for them. And when they died He would come to them and take them to Himself.

And the way in which to enter those resting places was through Jesus, through receiving the truth and through receiving His life. The disciples were meant to understand it at the time. Any interpretation that does not take that into account is not worth following.

Those resting places would not necessarily be permanent (although they have lasted 2000 years) and we learn elsewhere in Scripture that God will create a new spiritual Heavens and earth in which man's new spiritual, heavenly incorruptible body will be at home along with the God Who is Spirit and with His Son.

Aijalon
Aug 13th 2014, 09:52 PM
I think that we'll need somewhere to sit eat, chat, and rest. Why not a house? Does God sleep? If so, does he have a bed? Does it have "sheets"?

All these questions are fun to ponder, but I would have to say that the house or "mansion" that we're going to be assigned are homes of perfection that are going to reflect the improvement on our former "houses" which are our souls.

If Christ is -IN- the Father and He -IN- Christ and we are -IN- them, then wouldn't it make sense that our houses are also -WITHIN- as well? If God's kingdom is in the hearts of men, and we're all little kingdoms within our own souls, governing over our own affairs, we each would need a castle so to speak that is also the overseeing government over our soul - the government of Jesus Christ/Father God.

I think a house is a government, and each home or dwelling place is operated as it's own government both in custom and principle. It is property, and likewise -WE- are the property of God, rooms within his house.

Glorious
Aug 13th 2014, 10:31 PM
The discussion usually starts because of the word "Mansions". The Greek word is the same one used in verse 23 which is correctly translated "abode". Thus, the text under discussion should read;

"1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many abodes: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

Why can't an "abode" mean a literal spiritual or glorious mansion in Heaven? Is a mansion not an abode? Granted that He abides in individuals who constitute the body of Christ on earth, where does the Father dwell and where is His throne located?

Also, let us consider Revelation 20:10-11: And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

A city is made of abodes. Where is the New Jerusalem located. Is the New Jerusalem a city full of abodes that shall descend from Heaven to dwell in individual Christians or the Body of Christ?

The New Jerusalem has walls, gates each with an angel, precious stones and 12 foundations, etc. It even has measurements (see Rev. 21:16-17). Isn't it possible that prepared mansions/abodes also can have walls, foundations, measurements, etc...?

Walls
Aug 14th 2014, 12:02 AM
Why can't an "abode" mean a literal spiritual or glorious mansion in Heaven? Is a mansion not an abode? Granted that He abides in individuals who constitute the body of Christ on earth, where does the Father dwell and where is His throne located?

Also, let us consider Revelation 20:10-11: And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

A city is made of abodes. Where is the New Jerusalem located. Is the New Jerusalem a city full of abodes that shall descend from Heaven to dwell in individual Christians or the Body of Christ?

The New Jerusalem has walls, gates each with an angel, precious stones and 12 foundations, etc. It even has measurements (see Rev. 21:16-17). Isn't it possible that prepared mansions/abodes also can have walls, foundations, measurements, etc...?

Thank you for your question. I refer you to postings 21 and 23 for my arguments.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77