PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos

Jeffinator
May 1st 2009, 05:20 AM
Is it okay to get tatoos if your already a Christian?

Im leaning more towards that it's not okay because it involves a lot of pride plus Leviticus 19:28 says "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD."

Yet a lot of people get them, even crosses, and depictions of Jesus. Many claim it supports their faith and lets others know they are Christian.

What do you think?

Athanasius
May 1st 2009, 04:45 PM
I think if your motivations are correct and your heart is in the right place, then sure. As with all things, however, would have to keep in mind how it affects your witness (and I'm not saying it will negatively impact your witness necessarily).

fuzzi
May 1st 2009, 04:51 PM

Im leaning more towards that it's not okay because it involves a lot of pride plus Leviticus 19:28 says "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD."

Yet a lot of people get them, even crosses, and depictions of Jesus. Many claim it supports their faith and lets others know they are Christian.

What do you think?
I think if you have any doubts, you shouldn't do it.

"And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin." (Romans 14:23)

-SEEKING-
May 1st 2009, 05:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with getting a Tattoo. But if you feel convicted not to, then I agree with fuzzi that you shouldn't.

Followtheway
May 2nd 2009, 12:04 AM
If your feeling convicted then no dont do it, but that scripture put tattoos and cutting into a group under not doing it for the dead which I made the mistake of doing and the same thing would go for idols of course.

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 12:08 AM
There's nothing wrong with getting a Tattoo. But if you feel convicted not to, then I agree with fuzzi that you shouldn't.I agree. I do not necessarily think it is wrong but I could not get one, because of my own personal convictions.

*Hope*
May 2nd 2009, 12:50 AM

What do you think?

This is a matter of personal preference and isn't an issue that can be settled using Scripture.

Jude
May 2nd 2009, 01:42 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/primatrini/tatoos.jpg

:help:

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 03:12 AM
Do you think Jesus would get a tattoo if He was here today in the flesh? Arent we to try to mimic Him and be like Him?

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 03:24 AM
Do you think Jesus would get a tattoo if He was here today in the flesh? Arent we to try to mimic Him and be like Him?

This really isn't an answer :rolleyes:

*Hope*
May 2nd 2009, 03:29 AM
Good ole WWJD :)

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 03:34 AM

This really isn't an answer :rolleyes:I think it a very good answer. Jesus didn't do anything unless He saw the Father doing it, and we should not intentionally do anything we do not believe Jesus would do.

Slug1
May 2nd 2009, 03:49 AM

What do you think?I was led to get both of mine so the Lord can use them to reach out to those with tattoos and spurned by legalistic Christians and thus driven away from the healing that Jesus wants to offer them. I was obedient to the Lords will in this.

Slug1
May 2nd 2009, 03:52 AM
I think it a very good answer. Jesus didn't do anything unless He saw the Father doing it, and we should not intentionally do anything we do not believe Jesus would do.Jesus probably wouldn't use the internet either cause His ministry was to personally minister to people... yet we all use the internet.

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 03:54 AM
I think it a very good answer. Jesus didn't do anything unless He saw the Father doing it, and we should not intentionally do anything we do not believe Jesus would do.

Jesus didn't have always have to deal with the situations we today find ourselves in. Part of the reason I'm not a fan of 'WWJD'.

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 03:58 AM
Jesus probably wouldn't use the internet either cause His ministry was to personally minister to people... yet we all use the internet.That is a guess at best. Jesus probably would use the internet, but He would definitely not get a tattoo. Now if you want to get tattoos I do not think it is a sin, but I do think we should try and imitate Christ and claiming He would not use the internet as an excuse for you getting tattoos is absurd.

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 04:00 AM
That is a guess at best. Jesus probably would use the internet, but He would definitely not get a tattoo. Now if you want to get tattoos I do not think it is a sin, but I do think we should try and imitate Christ and claiming He would not use the internet as an excuse for you getting tattoos is absurd.

There you said it, it's not a sin... So what's your objection?

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 04:00 AM
Jesus didn't have always have to deal with the situations we today find ourselves in. Part of the reason I'm not a fan of 'WWJD'.I am a fan of it, and if we listen closely the Holy Spitit tells us what He would or would not do.

Slug1
May 2nd 2009, 04:03 AM
That is a guess at best. Jesus probably would use the internet, but He would definitely not get a tattoo. Now if you want to get tattoos I do not think it is a sin, but I do think we should try and imitate Christ and claiming He would not use the internet as an excuse for you getting tattoos is absurd.I didn't use it as an excuse... Jesus walked everywhere also while I drive my truck... just pointing out that the WWJD is an endless loop of possibilities and based on opinions... will/can never end and I will guarantee you this... never solves anything.

There are many Christians out there that say Jesus would never kill anyone either... guess they don't read the Bible much :rolleyes:

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 04:04 AM
There you said it, it's not a sin... So what's your objection?I do not think it is necessarily a sin for slug to get a tattoo, it would however be a sin for me to get one, and my objection is not with people getting tattos it was with your response to Jeffinator. Her answer was not only an answer but a good one. She made an excellent point that needed to be made.

This really isn't an answer :rolleyes:

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 04:07 AM
I didn't use it as an excuse... Jesus walked everywhere also while I drive my truck... just pointing out that the WWJD is an endless loop of possibilities and based on opinions... will/can never end and I will guarantee you this... never solves anything.

There are many Christians out there that say Jesus would never kill anyone either... guess they don't read the Bible much :rolleyes:Jesus would ride in a truck if He was around today, and Jesus didn't kill anyone. Have you read your Bible?

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 04:12 AM
I do not think it is necessarily a sin for slug to get a tattoo, it would however be a sin for me to get one, and my objection is not with people getting tattos it was with your response to Jeffinator. Her answer was not only an answer but a good one. She made an excellent point that needed to be made.

'WWJD' really only works in the case of knowing what Jesus would not do (and even still only to a limited extent), not what Jesus would do. Even with that said you don't know that Jesus would not get a tattoo. Knowing his mission on earth there would have probably been very little point, not that it was really an 'in' thing for Hebrews at the time. Sure! Consider what Jesus would do... Though it's still half an answer at best.

Slug1
May 2nd 2009, 04:14 AM
Jesus would ride in a truck if He was around today, and Jesus didn't kill anyone. Have you read your Bible?OK... see what I mean about the endlessness of opinions of WWJD :lol:

Ummm, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are one... right?

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 04:18 AM
Ummm, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are one... right?Depends, maybe you should start another Trinity thread....lol. I do no think that is what this thread is about. This I do know Jesus never killed anyone, nor did He get any tattoos. ;)

Reynolds357
May 2nd 2009, 04:20 AM

What do you think?

I do not think tattoos are sin, but I believe that at some point in your life you will regret getting them.

Reynolds357
May 2nd 2009, 04:22 AM
I am a fan of it, and if we listen closely the Holy Spitit tells us what He would or would not do.

Agreed. We are supposed to be "immitators of Christ." We should daily ask ourself what would Jesus do.

Slug1
May 2nd 2009, 04:22 AM
Depends, maybe you should start another Trinity thread....lol. I do no think that is what this thread is about. This I do know Jesus never killed anyone, nor did He get any tattoos. ;)Yeah, I guess WDJD, WWJD, WWJD is to much :lol:

What Did Jesus Do

What Would Jesus Do

What Will Jesus Do

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 04:30 AM
What Will Jesus Do

He will kill people.

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 04:49 AM
What Will Jesus Do

He will kill people.Yep He is going to kill'em all, with a tattoo on His thigh. :hmm:

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 04:50 AM
Yep He is going to kill'em all, with a tattoo on His thigh. :hmm:

No need to become indignant (I wasn't being sarcastic).

Watchmen
May 2nd 2009, 04:57 AM
No need to become indignant (I wasn't being sarcastic).I wasn't either hahahaha :lol:

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 05:34 AM
Tattoos are sinful in nature themselves...reason being for the reason people get them:

1. To remember a dead loved one, and there is many problems with this because we are not to dwell on the dead because one day they will live again.

2. Some people get them out of pride to look cool, show off, gang related, or other prideful reasons.

3. To express our likes or dislikes, our beliefs, our opinions, and "who we are" and etc. The problem with this is that "who we are" tends to change, our opinions are like tides of a wave here one minute gone the next with a new one to replace it. And our beliefs, even with God, are shown through example and living the life He wants us to live not through body art. Some argue body art is a conversation starter about Christ, well so is a opening your mouth and saying Hi and it doesnt involve a life of regret or embarrassment towards what they did to their skin when they were younger .

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 05:43 AM
Tattoos are sinful in nature themselves...reason being for the reason people get them:

1. To remember a dead loved one, and there is many problems with this because we are not to dwell on the dead because one day they will live again.

2. Some people get them out of pride to look cool, show off, gang related, or other prideful reasons.

3. To express our likes or dislikes, our beliefs, our opinions, and "who we are" and etc. The problem with this is that "who we are" tends to change, our opinions are like tides of a wave here one minute gone the next with a new one to replace it. And our beliefs, even with God, are shown through example and living the life He wants us to live not through body art. Some argue body art is a conversation starter about Christ, well so is a opening your mouth and saying Hi and it doesnt involve a life of regret or embarrassment towards what they did to their skin when they were younger .

If the motive isn't one of the above?

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 06:34 AM
If the motive isn't one of the above?

An example being...

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 06:44 AM
An example being...

Well the one that immediately comes to mind is witnessing

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 07:15 AM
Well the one that immediately comes to mind is witnessing

I mentioned that in category 3. "And our beliefs, even with God, are shown through example and living the life He wants us to live not through body art. Some argue body art is a conversation starter about Christ, well so is a opening your mouth and saying Hi and it doesnt involve a life of regret or embarrassment towards what they did to their skin when they were younger".

ilovemetal
May 2nd 2009, 07:28 AM
I mentioned that in category 3. "And our beliefs, even with God, are shown through example and living the life He wants us to live not through body art. Some argue body art is a conversation starter about Christ, well so is a opening your mouth and saying Hi and it doesnt involve a life of regret or embarrassment towards what they did to their skin when they were younger".

i wouldn't say 'Hi' is a direct conversation starter about Jesus, as much as hey what's your tattoo, oh a cross, are you a christian?

that's all.
i got mine for the wrong reasons. i still like them, and don't regret them, but i'd be lying if i said it was 100% to praise God.

Slug1
May 2nd 2009, 11:51 AM
An example being...Here's how I was led: Post #13 in this thread.

-SEEKING-
May 2nd 2009, 02:03 PM

Are you married?

Prufrock
May 2nd 2009, 04:30 PM

I have seen this myself, especially among members of the Mexican-American community: e.g., someone having a tattoo "portrait" of a beloved child who has died. Without condemning anyone in such a tragic position, I believe that this is very close to the exact meaning of Lev. 19:28.

2. Some people get them out of pride to look cool, show off, gang related, or other prideful reasons.Yes, just as some people choose their wardrobe, hairstyles, or accessories (from handbags to cell phones) for precisely the same reason. But the sin here is pride, not getting a tattoo.

3. To express our likes or dislikes, our beliefs, our opinions, and "who we are" and etc. The problem with this is that "who we are" tends to change, our opinions are like tides of a wave here one minute gone the next with a new one to replace it. And our beliefs, even with God, are shown through example and living the life He wants us to live not through body art. Some argue body art is a conversation starter about Christ, well so is a opening your mouth and saying Hi and it doesnt involve a life of regret or embarrassment towards what they did to their skin when they were younger .This is often the case, and is very unwise. It is not necessarily a sin, and does not make tattoos "sinful in nature themselves." I believe that God cares about our appearance: he doesn't want us to dress or adorn ourselves as gangstas or slatterns. But, ultimately, He looks on the heart. And tattoos are not always the result of a foolish or profligate youth: older people have been known to get them, too. At the risk of repeating myself, I believe God cares about our appearance, and if a Christian wears (for example) immodest clothes, I believe it is a sin. But the sin begins in the heart.

As for the "imitators of Christ" aspect, I simply don't accept the premise. I do not believe that the use of Eph. 5:1 (which is not universally translated as "imitators;" the King James translates the word "followers," as did Wycliffe, Young's Literal Translation, and others) necessitates an utterly hopeless attempt to duplicate the actions of Jesus during His earthly ministry.

In point of fact, our example is to be Paul, not Jesus: 1 Cor. 11:1, Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. Jesus and Paul did not have identical ministries, did not speak or act in an identical manner, and Paul was not the Incarnation of God.

As has been pointed out, Jesus did not marry or beget children. (Paul at least had the liberty to do this.) Jesus did not subject Himself to a formal education, as did Paul. He did not serve in the military or run for political office. Am I somehow failing the "WWJD" standard if I do any of these things?

"In His Steps" was an interesting book, but it was not a prescription for, or definition of, the Christian life. However, it provides a convenient shortcut for studying the Bible and seeking God's face in prayer. I am specifically not referring to anyone in this thread!

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, just as some people choose their wardrobe, hairstyles, or accessories (from handbags to cell phones) for precisely the same reason. But the sin here is pride, not getting a tattoo.

Well what if my thread question was is it okay for girls to wear skimpy clothes out of pride for their body? Then I'm sure the overwhelming majority would say no. But since its tattoos and tattoos are not considered by our community as not as bad, we are softer on this subject yet its just like a person permanently wearing revealing clothes out of pride. It is a big deal because those other things you mentioned you can change. Tattoos are a little harder than that.

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 05:37 PM

What you said was, "3. To express our likes or dislikes, our beliefs, our opinions, and "who we are" and etc. The problem with this is that "who we are" tends to change, our opinions are like tides of a wave here one minute gone the next with a new one to replace it. And our beliefs, even with God, are shown through example and living the life He wants us to live not through body art. Some argue body art is a conversation starter about Christ, well so is a opening your mouth and saying Hi and it doesnt involve a life of regret or embarrassment towards what they did to their skin when they were younger ."

Even with that said you're making a jump, where does God say, 'don't live through body art!'?

*Hope*
May 2nd 2009, 05:47 PM
Tattoos are sinful in nature themselves

Tattoos have a nature?

Dave Robb
May 2nd 2009, 05:52 PM
God sent His Son Jesus to die for us. An incredible sacrifice, so I think that we should look after our bodies as best possible. He did His best for us so we should do our best for Him.
I don't have any tattoos cause I don't think they glorify God.
Looking after our bodies though also means being careful what we eat, not smoking or drinking etc.
Without becoming legalistic, we need to work towards these things by Gods Grace.
I believe too many Christians walk/live too close to the edge and think that's cool! It's dangerous there though!

My 2 cents

Reynolds357
May 2nd 2009, 06:01 PM
Are you married?

Paul dealt with that issue. Not a valid point in my opinion.

Reynolds357
May 2nd 2009, 06:04 PM
God sent His Son Jesus to die for us. An incredible sacrifice, so I think that we should look after our bodies as best possible. He did His best for us so we should do our best for Him.
I don't have any tattoos cause I don't think they glorify God.
Looking after our bodies though also means being careful what we eat, not smoking or drinking etc.
Without becoming legalistic, we need to work towards these things by Gods Grace.
I believe too many Christians walk/live too close to the edge and think that's cool! It's dangerous there though!

My 2 cents

Heardening of heart is a slow but dangerous process. When we become too much like the world in our behavior, we run a major risk of becoming like the world in our hearts.

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 06:04 PM
What you said was, "3. To express our likes or dislikes, our beliefs, our opinions, and "who we are" and etc. The problem with this is that "who we are" tends to change, our opinions are like tides of a wave here one minute gone the next with a new one to replace it. And our beliefs, even with God, are shown through example and living the life He wants us to live not through body art. Some argue body art is a conversation starter about Christ, well so is a opening your mouth and saying Hi and it doesnt involve a life of regret or embarrassment towards what they did to their skin when they were younger ."

Even with that said you're making a jump, where does God say, 'don't live through body art!'?

Leviticus 19:28 says "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD."

1 Corinthians 6:19 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bough at a price. Therefore honor God with your body"

We don't own ourselves and our skin is not as many claim "a blank canvas". We were bought at a price and if He wanted us with markings on our skin then He would have made us with such, its a humanistic rationalizing compromise we make.

And for those of you who say its okay depending on why you get it or where you get etc. How do you know your not just rationalizing your compromise? Its okay that you get one because you got it for the right reasons yet others got them for the wrong ones? Let God speak to peoples hearts, not your skin.

God said not to be of this world, and by getting tattoos of things in this world we becoming more of it, rather than just being in it.

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 06:14 PM
Leviticus 19:28 says "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD."

1 Corinthians 6:19 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bough at a price. Therefore honor God with your body"

We don't own ourselves and our skin is not as many claim "a blank canvas". We were bought at a price and if He wanted us with markings on our skin then He would have made us with such, its a humanistic rationalizing compromise we make.

That's an enormous disconnect. From neither of these verses are you able to show that it isn't honorable to God to have a tattoo (that it's wrong to live through body art, not that anyone suggested this). Otherwise everyone would be looking at Leviticus 19:27 and saying, hey, have you shaved the edges of your beard recently? You aren't honoring God! Now how many of us don't even have beards?:hmm:

God said not to be of this world, and by getting tattoos of things in this world we becoming more of it, rather than just being in it.

Not at all:confused

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 06:24 PM
That's an enormous disconnect. From neither of these verses are you able to show that it isn't honorable to God to have a tattoo (that it's wrong to live through body art, not that anyone suggested this). Otherwise everyone would be looking at Leviticus 19:27 and saying, hey, have you shaved the edges of your beard recently? You aren't honoring God! Now how many of us don't even have beards?:hmm:

In a way, because Leviticus gives examples of how to honor God and keep clean and live healthy, which is part of the reason for Leviticus 19:27 so we don't become a mockery of ourselves by letting ourselves go to waste. It would fall under the category of taking a bath daily, changing your clothes, or brushing your teeth. Honor God the best you can by caring for not only others around you but yourself. Many people care about others but let themselves go to waste.

Not at all:confused

If we can help it, if you do it despite the fact know it might be wrong than you aren't off on the right foot.

Athanasius
May 2nd 2009, 06:30 PM
In a way, because Leviticus gives examples of how to honor God and keep clean and live healthy, which is part of the reason for Leviticus 19:27 so we don't become a mockery of ourselves by letting ourselves go to waste. It would fall under the category of taking a bath daily, changing your clothes, or brushing your teeth. Honor God the best you can by caring for not only others around you but yourself. Many people care about others but let themselves go to waste.

If we agree with the above then one of the ways of honoring God is by having a beard (and not shaving the edges) - do you have a beard? I sure know I don't, can't grow one for the life of me.

If we can help it, if you do it despite the fact know it might be wrong than you aren't off on the right foot.

Having a tattoo doesn't make is more a part of this world any more than dying our hair makes us more a part of this world (and hey, if you were dying your hair to fit with the crowd maybe it's something you shouldn't do). As someone said above; personal conviction.

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 07:11 PM
Having a tattoo doesn't make is more a part of this world any more than dying our hair makes us more a part of this world (and hey, if you were dying your hair to fit with the crowd maybe it's something you shouldn't do). As someone said above; personal conviction.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I just think all the reasons given are just cover ups. Reason I say this is because when I was younger I considered getting a tattoo, and it was not for the right reasons at all (if there are any). It was just because I wanted one, thats all. Thats the reason we get them, me me me..this is how I stand out. People like to be different and stand out and be noticed and "define themselves".

People get them to better understand their own identity and to be someone they think they are and be different, even when it comes to tattoos that are of Jesus or God its to show "hey everyone I'm a Christian thats how I define myself, Notice it and notice me!"
Thats the biggest reason in my opinion for why people get them and that is often times sinful, fleshy and self centered.

You say its a personal conviction but whats personal about it? Your heart telling you its okay to do? Don't let your heart tell you what's okay to do and whats not based upon how you feel. Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

As far as your comparisons to hair dying and clothes, those are temporary and changeable and they usually do change as we get older. Tattoos dont and cant, thats why I'm a little bit of a stickler when it comes to this. Also, I believe it sends a bad message because I have a sister with a tattoo, not a very Christian one, and she rationalized it because her friend had a Jesus Cross tattoo. In my opinion you should not do things that make others stumble. We are a people of change, we CHANGE ALL THE TIME. From our hair color, to clothes, to opinions, to the house we live in, the car we drive, our friends, our styles, our likes and dislikes, and our convictions. We as being human should be the last things God created to do something permanent to ourselves.

Prufrock
May 2nd 2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I just think all the reasons given are just cover ups. Reason I say this is because when I was younger I considered getting a tattoo, and it was not for the right reasons at all (if there are any). It was just because I wanted one, thats all. Thats the reason we get them, me me me..this is how I stand out. People like to be different and stand out and be noticed and "define themselves".
In this matter, you are judging the motives of others according to your own experience. That is not particularly productive: in philosophy, it's called "solipsism." But, philosophy aside (and I personally try to lay it just as far aside as I possibly can!), such judgments are not terribly charitable. A large number of people get tattoos for exactly the reasons you describe. But you cannot assess the motives of others by consulting your own experience.

People get them to better understand their own identity and to be someone they think they are and be different, even when it comes to tattoos that are of Jesus or God its to show "hey everyone I'm a Christian thats how I define myself, Notice it and notice me!"To "be different?" I hardly think so. In today's culture, getting a tattoo is nothing but blind, rank conformity, like long hair was in the 1960s. (I am speaking of young people, under 25 or so.) There's nothing "different" about it. It's simply following the crowd.

When a Christian puts a "witness" bumper sticker on his car, is he saying, "hey everyone I'm a Christian thats how I define myself, Notice it and notice me?" I know, I know: Leviticus doesn't say anything about bumper stickers. But how is the motivation any different, in your estimation?

Thats the biggest reason in my opinion for why people get them and that is often times sinful, fleshy and self centered. I agree that it is usually fleshy and self-centered. But a single verse from the Jewish Law does not justify making such a big deal out of this, in my opinion. This sounds very legalistic. Since I don't know you, and "charity believes all things," I assume that you're not as legalistic as you sound.

You say its a personal conviction but whats personal about it? Your heart telling you its okay to do? Don't let your heart tell you what's okay to do and whats not based upon how you feel. Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"In that, we completely agree. I'd just as soon consult a Ouija board as "follow my heart." I try to use my brain, following God's guidance.

As far as your comparisons to hair dying and clothes, those are temporary and changeable and they usually do change as we get older. Tattoos dont and cant, thats why I'm a little bit of a stickler when it comes to this. Also, I believe it sends a bad message because I have a sister with a tattoo, not a very Christian one, and she rationalized it because her friend had a Jesus Cross tattoo. In my opinion you should not do things that make others stumble.Once again, you're determining standards acoording to your own experience: in this case, your sister's actions. You are free to set your standards in whatever manner you choose, but do not expect others to be bound by them.

We are a people of change, we CHANGE ALL THE TIME. From our hair color, to clothes, to opinions, to the house we live in, the car we drive, our friends, our styles, our likes and dislikes, and our convictions. We as being human should be the last things God created to do something permanent to ourselves.I ask this in utter sincerity: do you consider any and all cosmetic surgery wrong? Like a nose job, for example?

Jeffinator
May 2nd 2009, 08:26 PM
In this matter, you are judging the motives of others according to your own experience. That is not particularly productive: in philosophy, it's called "solipsism." But, philosophy aside (and I personally try to lay it just as far aside as I possibly can!), such judgments are not terribly charitable. A large number of people get tattoos for exactly the reasons you describe. But you cannot assess the motives of others by consulting your own experience.

Thats not the only reason that was one. I have friends I know people who have gotten them and that is the real basis for their reason. Whether you admit it or not it is.

To "be different?" I hardly think so. In today's culture, getting a tattoo is nothing but blind, rank conformity, like long hair was in the 1960s. (I am speaking of young people, under 25 or so.) There's nothing "different" about it. It's simply following the crowd.

All tattoos are the same? People dont get them to show who they are or try to define themselves by them? Just like you wear clothes based upon who you think you are or the way you want to be percieved by others, the same goes for tattoos. Except they are permanent.

When a Christian puts a "witness" bumper sticker on his car, is he saying, "hey everyone I'm a Christian thats how I define myself, Notice it and notice me?" I know, I know: Leviticus doesn't say anything about bumper stickers. But how is the motivation any different, in your estimation?

Because they are not defiling their body...

I agree that it is usually fleshy and self-centered. But a single verse from the Jewish Law does not justify making such a big deal out of this, in my opinion. This sounds very legalistic. Since I don't know you, and "charity believes all things," I assume that you're not as legalistic as you sound.

I'm not but God tells us to do things sometimes without giving us rhyme or reason. Should we not follow it because we dont understand it? So in other words you only follow things that God lays out in detail for you about why its right or wrong? I'm not saying you dont go to heaven because you have a tattoo but I dont think we should acknowledge them as "good" or "acceptable" in the sight of God either.

Once again, you're determining standards acoording to your own experience: in this case, your sister's actions. You are free to set your standards in whatever manner you choose, but do not expect others to be bound by them.

But as a Christian you should care about others besides yourself. I strongly feel that if you think its okay to drink beer once and again thats fine, but if it causes your child whos underage to start drinking would you stop? We should be an example to other people, not the exception. And yes it might mean giving up your dream of getting a tattoo. Life's hard huh?:rolleyes:

I ask this in utter sincerity: do you consider any and all cosmetic surgery wrong? Like a nose job, for example?

No..

-SEEKING-
May 3rd 2009, 12:24 AM
Paul dealt with that issue. Not a valid point in my opinion.

Well, you know what they say about opinions. Besides I didn't address this question to you. But here's a nice parting gift for you. :monkeyd:

BHS
May 3rd 2009, 06:28 PM
Because our culture accepts tattoos, they are OK?

The "law" is opposed to tattoos (Lev 19:28)

I am not making a statement -- simply asking a question --Is it no longer sinful because our culture accepts it, or because there is no corresponding commandment in the "NT"?

John in 1 John 3:4 says --
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Blessings,
BHS

Athanasius
May 3rd 2009, 08:22 PM
Because our culture accepts tattoos, they are OK?

The "law" is opposed to tattoos (Lev 19:28)

I am not making a statement -- simply asking a question --Is it no longer sinful because our culture accepts it, or because there is no corresponding commandment in the "NT"?

1 John 3:4 says --
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Blessings,
BHS

Well of course not, that would be silly. The context of Leviticus 19, however - which everyone loves ignoring - is in regards to cutting and tattooing as part of religious rituals. Once understood the only valid objection would come from 1 Corinthians 3:16, which would very from believer to believer.

By the way, I believe tattoos are repulsive:rolleyes:

BHS
May 4th 2009, 12:53 AM
Well of course not, that would be silly. The context of Leviticus 19, however - which everyone loves ignoring - is in regards to cutting and tattooing as part of religious rituals. Once understood the only valid objection would come from 1 Corinthians 3:16, which would very from believer to believer.

By the way, I believe tattoos are repulsive:rolleyes:

Certainly, this chapter has reference to pagan practices, but look again at verse 28.

Leviticus 19:28

'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead, nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

Moses is saying it is because of who the Lord is, that this instruction is to be followed.

Blessings,
BHS

Athanasius
May 4th 2009, 01:08 AM
Certainly, this chapter has reference to pagan practices, but look again at verse 28.

Leviticus 19:28

'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead, nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

Moses is saying it is because of who the Lord is, that this instruction is to be followed.

Blessings,
BHS

Sure, now how many Christians today are getting tattoos because they are celebrating pagan practices?

-SEEKING-
May 4th 2009, 01:11 AM
Sure, now how many Christians today are getting tattoos because they are celebrating pagan practices?

I personally have 5 tattoos which were done before I came to Christ. But it is for this very reason that I did not do anymore. I felt no conviction personally but I didn't want others to stumble because of me.

Athanasius
May 4th 2009, 01:39 AM
I personally have 5 tattoos which were done before I came to Christ. But it is for this very reason that I did not do anymore. I felt no conviction personally but I didn't want others to stumble because of me.

Which I absolutely agree, this sort of thing has to be taken into account when any Christian is entertaining the thought. There are very few things where I would say, 'As a Christian, go out and do them don't worry!' Most things I'll always preface with, 'How's it going to affect your witness and your brothers and sisters in Christ?'

Josie
May 4th 2009, 01:59 AM
Heardening of heart is a slow but dangerous process. When we become too much like the world in our behavior, we run a major risk of becoming like the world in our hearts.

I can speak for myself in this matter and I agree with you, I considered a toe ring tattoo a few years ago.
I thought about it and knew it was just vain on my part.
I am only speaking for myself here.
I have my ears pierced and that was vainity too, however that was years ago before I considered how vain I really was.:lol:

L'Ange
May 4th 2009, 01:59 AM
From a purely practical point of view, what if you get tired of it? My uncle has tatoos and came to hate them! I know he was from a different era, but what era do you know you are going to be living in? How do you know your tastes won't change and that things you think are cool today might be boring, or worse, in years to come? Just something to consider, I thinnk.

BHS
May 4th 2009, 10:41 PM

That wasn't exactly what I was saying.

Notice other commandments that are tagged with "I am the LORD your God". It is because God is God that He can give these commandments.

Blessings,
BHS

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77