PDA

View Full Version : Jesus and John the Baptist

mortehoe
May 3rd 2009, 04:49 PM
In Matthew 11:3 John says," are you the one who was to come or should we expect someone else".
Now I'm confused because earlier in Matthew John has already baptized Jesus and being his cousin shouldn't he have know Jesus better. By reading that passage it sounds like he doesn't know him well.

Thanks as always for your kind replies.

Frances
May 3rd 2009, 05:26 PM
In Matthew 11:3 John says," are you the one who was to come or should we expect someone else".
Now I'm confused because earlier in Matthew John has already baptized Jesus and being his cousin shouldn't he have know Jesus better. By reading that passage it sounds like he doesn't know him well.

Because of his circumstances at the time he sent the message to Jesus, John's former 'certain knowledge' was being tested, and he asked Jesus for confirmation - in a similar way that I might ask the Lord for confirmation when my former certainty of the way forward meets several blockages along the way.

BroRog
May 3rd 2009, 05:49 PM

I agree with Frances that John was probably having doubts, which is understandable given the fact that John was in prison and condemned to death.

I also think, however, that John's main concern was for his disciples whom he sent to Jesus. After all, these two disciples should have left long ago to join up with Jesus. I believe John had the disciples ask the question of Jesus, not for John's sake, but for the disciples' sake. These men needed to hear the message one more time and they needed to turn their attention away from John toward Jesus.

John was about to die and consequently, leave his disciples without a teacher. His main concern, before he dies, is to get his disciples to leave him behind and join up with Jesus. That's how I interpret John's actions.

jayne
May 3rd 2009, 06:27 PM

Although John the Baptist's mother and Jesus' mother were cousins, they were not raised to know each other. John was raised in the wilderness and ate things and wore things that were rough and of the wild.

When he proclaimed Jesus as the "Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world" (John 1:29-36), only the Holy Spirit could have revealed that to him. Even Jesus' own brothers and sisters didn't know that.

In Matthew 3:7-12, when John was rebuking the Pharisees and Sadducees, he made reference to the soon to come wrath, judgment, political upheavals, and religious drama that they has best be prepared for where Jesus was concerned.

John the Baptist, just like the 12 disciples and everyone else, had a "fixed" idea of what the Messiah was supposed to be and do and say.

While he was in prison and he saw no impending wrath or judgment except upon his own life.....he began to allow doubts to fester in his own mind about Jesus.

When one is confined to a prison cell (either literally or of one's own psychological or spiritual making or the prisons of life's circumstances) our thoughts can become disassociated with reality. It's hard to focus on what's genuine. Imagine someone suffering from depression or going through a serious encounter with grief. They don't always think "straight". John the Baptist was at the lowest point of his life and he was alone. Doubts crept in.

John the Baptist was the greatest man whoever lived, according to Jesus, Himself. But that did not mean that he was perfect nor did it mean that he fully understood the complete ramifications of what Jesus, the Messiah was all about.

And he was in good company. Neither did Jesus'own family or his closest companions - the 12 disciples.

No one completely got it - until after the resurrection.

mortehoe
May 3rd 2009, 07:22 PM
So the first time that John met Jesus was at his baptism.
That makes things a lot clearer. I can now see why he started having doubts in prison.

Thanks everyone. I am so glad I found this website:everyone is so helpful.

jayne
May 3rd 2009, 10:30 PM
So the first time that John met Jesus was at his baptism.

Yes, based on what the Bible say in Luke 1:80

"And the child (John the Baptist) grew and became strong in spirit, and was in the deserts until the day of his appearance to Israel."

Teke
May 4th 2009, 08:27 PM

At that time there had been others who arose making claims. The Pharisees were watching for this as well. They had already had encounters with counterfeits (ie. a Theudas and a Judas mentioned in Acts 5). So it's not unusual that John would ask this question. He may have thought, 'could my cousin be the one we are expecting or could it be someone else.
see Acts 5:34-39 on the Pharissees

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77