PDA

View Full Version : Modern day Elijah and Baal

PHX1824
May 5th 2009, 03:04 AM
Hi there! I was just wondering, after reading 1 Kings 18 today, and talking about it in bible study, I started dwelling on the story of Elijah's test to Baal and his "prophets". do you think we could make a similar set-up today? Do you think we should make a public and direct attack on atheism, by having such a "battle", just as Elijah did? I sure wish we could! I'd love to see the look on their faces! :lol:

dljc
May 5th 2009, 03:32 AM
Hi PHX and welcome to the boards! :pp

If you think about it, it does happen today still. Not that God uses a single person like Elijah always, He still shows His sovereignty over His Creation everyday. He makes it rain on the just and the unjust, for example. ;) I'm sure atheists get rained on. :D

Sojourner
May 5th 2009, 04:03 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with your question, I want you to understand that, but I just came to mind.

49And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.

50And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.
51And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,
52And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him.
53And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. Luke 9:xx

Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. James 5:17

-SEEKING-
May 5th 2009, 01:28 PM
I don't believe there is currently anyone even close to Elijah. During the tribulation we will see 2 great prophets arise.

theBelovedDisciple
May 5th 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi there! I was just wondering, after reading 1 Kings 18 today, and talking about it in bible study, I started dwelling on the story of Elijah's test to Baal and his "prophets". do you think we could make a similar set-up today? Do you think we should make a public and direct attack on atheism, by having such a "battle", just as Elijah did? I sure wish we could! I'd love to see the look on their faces! :lol:

What was Elijah called to 'come against'? wasn't it a 'religious system' that looked like the real thing .. but was a counterfiet? and this was characteristic of its false prophets....If there are modern day Elijahs.. you will see them come against 'the religious' system.. that which calls itself the 'real thing' .. but is full of hypocrisy, false teaching, abominations, deception and half truths..

When Looking to John the Baptist.. He did the same.. and even at the heralded chief Pharisees and Scribes.. calling them out for their hardness of heart and blindness.. wanting them to bring forth the fruits of worthy of repentance.. did they? probably not.. most comfortable in their religious system they had built and produced... going on in their sin.. claiming to be the sons of Abraham... but John rebuked them.. God could turn any of these stones into a son of Abraham.. therefore.. Repent...

God always reserves a remnant unto Himself.. those who will not bow down to the Image of Baal..

atheists.. God will deal with them in His Time.. and hopefully convert them...

but its the 'system'.. that Elijah came against.. that which called itself the real thing.. but in God's eyes.. was an Abomination....

Dani H
May 5th 2009, 05:20 PM
I do believe there are still people to-date who carry the mantle and power of Elijah and Jehu, who deal with the prophets of Baal and the Ahabs and Jezebels of our time. Nobody ever wants to talk about Jehu. But he did a lot ofgood in putting an end to Jezebel and dealing with Ahab's descendants and cleaning house with regard to Baal worship, and he was commended by God for doing so. If you see with the eyes of the spirit, you can see the ancient battle still raging. But God is in control and the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church that Jesus is building. :)

manichunter
May 6th 2009, 02:44 AM
I do believe there are still people to-date who carry the mantle and power of Elijah and Jehu, who deal with the prophets of Baal and the Ahabs and Jezebels of our time. Nobody ever wants to talk about Jehu. But he did a lot ofgood in putting an end to Jezebel and dealing with Ahab's descendants and cleaning house with regard to Baal worship, and he was commended by God for doing so. If you see with the eyes of the spirit, you can see the ancient battle still raging. But God is in control and the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church that Jesus is building. :)

didn't Jehu turn bad after being used by God

manichunter
May 6th 2009, 02:47 AM
my bad, to different Jehus.......one a prophet, the other a king

-SEEKING-
May 6th 2009, 02:21 PM
I do believe there are still people to-date who carry the mantle and power of Elijah and Jehu, who deal with the prophets of Baal and the Ahabs and Jezebels of our time.

Could you please give an example.

Dani H
May 6th 2009, 03:44 PM
Could you please give an example.

Sure but that's its own study, better off in Contro, and way outside the scope of this thread. I don't mean this to sound mystical, because it's not. They're types and shadows of spiritual truth, that's all. :)

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77