PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Do you not have houses to eat in?

uric3
May 5th 2009, 02:17 PM
I'll start by giving some background I have been conservative member of the Church of Christ for sometime... however lately I have been studying a lot and I think there is a lot of stuff that the church has bound that the Bible doesn't really bind.

However there is one thing that I am still studying on that I am perplexed about... here lately I have attending a more "liberal" Church that has a kitchen and a fellowship hall etc... and a lot of times after services they get together and eat.

I currently have come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with this... however my conscience will not allow me to join them since I have had it in my mind that this shouldn't be for so long. 1st Cor 11:23-ff keeps popping in my head...

So the questions I am leading up to is for those of you who eat in the church building after services or what have you how do you explain or reconcile the passage there in 1st Cor 11 notably verses 33-34

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated... because in my mind if I bind things that ought not be bound then I am no different than those in Acts 15 who tried to bind some of the laws of Moses. Anyway thanks again for you responses in advance.

Vhayes
May 5th 2009, 02:21 PM
I could be way off base here but I had always understood that section of scripture to be a rebuke to the Corinthian Christians for showing up for fellowship and eating like gluttons during communion. They would eat far more than a piece of bread and drink far more than a sip of wine in remembrance - they were gorging themselves.

As I said, I could be way off. Hope this helps.
V

CoffeeCat
May 5th 2009, 02:31 PM
Let's look at the whole thing in context --

1Co 11:20 When you gather in the same place, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper.
1Co 11:21 For as you eat, each of you rushes to eat his own supper, and one person goes hungry while another gets drunk.
1Co 11:22 You have homes in which to eat and drink, don't you? Or do you despise God's church and humiliate those who have nothing? What should I say to you? Should I praise you? I will not praise you for this!
1Co 11:23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you-how the Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took a loaf of bread,
1Co 11:24 gave thanks for it, and broke it in pieces, saying, "This is my body that is for you. Keep doing this in memory of me."
1Co 11:25 He did the same with the cup after the supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. As often as you drink from it, keep doing this in memory of me."
1Co 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink from this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
1Co 11:27 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks from the cup in an unworthy manner will be held responsible for the Lord's body and blood.

It doesn't seem that the eating together is the problem at ALL -- He's saying that there's a problem when they don't eat together, but instead do their own thing and rush off and dishonour Christ's body and blood by going so hastily. When we gather together, we're to focus on Christ as we eat together.

That's at least what I got from it. :)

ZAB
May 5th 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi Uric3,
If I am understanding you correctly, it seems that you feel somehwhat bothered by an apparent contradiction at your church. Correct me if I am wrong, but do you understand that the passages in 1 Corinthians 11 are referring to the Lord's Supper (aka the Eucharist)? Not to "eating together" in general.

Paul was simply saying that the Lordís Supper is not a common feast; it is not designed as a place where a man may gratify his carnal appetite. It is designed as a simple commemoration, and not as a "feast". This remark was designed to correct their views of the supper, and to show them that it was to be distinguished from the ordinary idea of a feast or festival.

In verse 34 when he says "if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation", he is saying to take that in his own house which is necessary for the support of his body before he comes to that sacred supper, where he should have the feeding of his soul alone in view. Anything less would be considered partaking unworthily (1 Cor 11:27).

There is simply nothing wrong with eating a meal together, be it in a fellowship hall or a home. Ask yourself: did Jesus ever do this? Of course He did. In fact, he ate with heathen men and women!

See also: Luke 10:7; Matt 14:15-21; 1 Cor 10:31

Acts 4:26-27 "And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved."

Tonton
May 5th 2009, 03:26 PM
...So the questions I am leading up to is for those of you who eat in the church building after services or what have you how do you explain or reconcile the passage there in 1st Cor 11 notably verses 33-34

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated... because in my mind if I bind things that ought not be bound then I am no different than those in Acts 15 who tried to bind some of the laws of Moses. Anyway thanks again for you responses in advance.

Uric3,

The 1 Cor 11:33-34 scripture refers to holy communion (breaking of bread and sharing of the fruit of the vine) - the purpose of this eating and drinking is not to satisfy the flesh, but to satisfy the Spirit. To have communion with the body of Christ, and to look back at His life and to look forward to sitting with Him when we are in heaven. One should share this bread and fruit of the vine for communion, not to still our physical hunger.

Acts 15 releases us from unnecessary burden.

The only burden left (as far as food goes) is:
:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

I have had great "feasts of love" where a congregation ate together - not during service - and see nothing wrong with it. In fact, The people ate where they attended a sermon by Jesus (remember the bread and the fishes).

I do feel that it is inappropriate for church denominations to be conservative on whether or not fellows may eat together where they are worshipping. The church building is just a building - it is not a temple. Our bodies are the temple.

Anton

Butch5
May 5th 2009, 03:34 PM
I'll start by giving some background I have been conservative member of the Church of Christ for sometime... however lately I have been studying a lot and I think there is a lot of stuff that the church has bound that the Bible doesn't really bind.

However there is one thing that I am still studying on that I am perplexed about... here lately I have attending a more "liberal" Church that has a kitchen and a fellowship hall etc... and a lot of times after services they get together and eat.

I currently have come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with this... however my conscience will not allow me to join them since I have had it in my mind that this shouldn't be for so long. 1st Cor 11:23-ff keeps popping in my head...

So the questions I am leading up to is for those of you who eat in the church building after services or what have you how do you explain or reconcile the passage there in 1st Cor 11 notably verses 33-34

Hi Eric,

I am at work now but I will reply later.

uric3
May 5th 2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your responses, to explain a little better...

"If I am understanding you correctly, it seems that you feel somehwhat bothered by an apparent contradiction at your church. Correct me if I am wrong, but do you understand that the passages in 1 Corinthians 11 are referring to the Lord's Supper (aka the Eucharist)? Not to "eating together" in general."

I have went to a conservative church for sometime that thinks its wrong to eat at the church building or place of assembly for worship... and use 1st Cor 11:33-34 to show that we shouldn't eat at the place of assembly its for spiritual things only and not carnal. Thus we should eat at home...

However after studying I have come to the conclusion that this isn't the case... or so I think but I'm not fully convinced yet.

I have moved and started going to a congregation that does eat after worship services... from time to time in the church building...

I'm almost convinced its not wrong... however since I am not fully convinced and it bothers my conscience I don't participate. Due to Rom 14:5 and 1st Cor 8:10-ff currently I'm the weaker brother since I'm not fully convinced and thus if I violate my conscience its sin.

So when you look at 1st Cor 11:33-34 how do you reconcile that its ok to eat in the place of worship...

Notes to consider:

When I think of this I know the church is the people not a place... so if we met in my home does that mean I can't eat in my own house? Doesn't make sense to me...

The church I used to attend said we couldn't eat at the church building however the congregation would get together at the park or something and eat... so the church is still assembled your just in a different local... so this doesn't make sense to me either...

Since I have been studying this out it seems that the point in 1st Cor 11 is this... when you come together to edify and worship do that... partake of the lords supper in a decent and orderly manner... If you want to eat and do things of that sort do it apart from the Lords Supper and worship.

The church I have recently been attending makes note of this stating something like this...

"Now that worship services are over we are going to have dinner for anyone who would like to stay"... therefore making a distinction of what's taking place...

This seems to be the answer its not the location that's being the focus here in 1st Cor 11... its how we should honour and respect the Lords Supper and worship and not turn it into something common or a common meal. Therefore if that's your attitude then you're doing it wrong.

If you make a distinction and then eat afterwards apart from worship then it seems to be ok.

However I just want to make sure and put my conscience at ease so I can join in with my fellow brethren...

So am I on the right track or is there a better way to explain... and if someone believes its wrong please voice your thoughts to... I'm still studying this out and want do what's right.

ZAB
May 5th 2009, 04:30 PM
[quote=uric3;2064642] The church I have recently been attending makes note of this stating something like this...

"Now that worship services are over we are going to have dinner for anyone who would like to stay"... therefore making a distinction of what's taking place...

This seems to be the answer its not the location that's being the focus here... its how we should honour and respect the Lords Supper and worship and not turn it into something common or a common meal.

quote]

Yes I think that idea is fine. That was Paul's point as well. He was not at all referring to a normal meal. His emphasis was on holy communion, i.e. the eucharist. If you want to get right down to it, Paul never would have had to make that distinction if the saints were not already eating meals together. So, in general, it must have been ok to do so.

I am reminded of Jesus' defense of David. In Matt 12:1-8. David and his men went into the temple and ate of the holy shewbread because they were hungry! In our eyes, that would be seen as of the uttmost disrespect and profanity. Yet, Jesus defended his actions. He said, "in this place is One greater than the temple" (vs. 6). He also said that the pharisees in this instance were condeming "the guiltless" (vs. 7). I think our current topic would fall under the same manner of truth. Jesus doesn't want us to be "religious" for religion's sake; touch not, taste not, handle not (Col 2:20-23). Most of these things are the doctrines and commandments of men who are trying to be outwardly holy. Paul says these things have a mere show of wisdom, but are not of any spiritual value (Col 2:23). God's desire is for a pure and contrite heart, such as was David's.
God bless you, Uric3.

kay-gee
May 5th 2009, 05:20 PM
[quote=uric3;2064502]I'll start by giving some background I have been conservative member of the Church of Christ for sometime... however lately I have been studying a lot and I think there is a lot of stuff that the church has bound that the Bible doesn't really bind.

There are a small number of Chuches of Christ that hold that view. I once belonged for a while to such a congregation. They are not representative of the Church as a whole.
The first churches were held in homes. Are we to believe that there were no food or kitchens in those homes?
The scriptures in question are obviously dealing with the Lords Supper.
However...it is not good to violate your conscience, if you don't believe it to be right. Roman14:23

all the best...

Butch5
May 5th 2009, 08:45 PM
:pray:
Thanks for your responses, to explain a little better...

I have went to a conservative church for sometime that thinks its wrong to eat at the church building or place of assembly for worship... and use 1st Cor 11:33-34 to show that we shouldn't eat at the place of assembly its for spiritual things only and not carnal. Thus we should eat at home...

However after studying I have come to the conclusion that this isn't the case... or so I think but I'm not fully convinced yet.

I have moved and started going to a congregation that does eat after worship services... from time to time in the church building...

I'm almost convinced its not wrong... however since I am not fully convinced and it bothers my conscience I don't participate. Due to Rom 14:5 and 1st Cor 8:10-ff currently I'm the weaker brother since I'm not fully convinced and thus if I violate my conscience its sin.

So when you look at 1st Cor 11:33-34 how do you reconcile that its ok to eat in the place of worship...

Notes to consider:

When I think of this I know the church is the people not a place... so if we met in my home does that mean I can't eat in my own house? Doesn't make sense to me...

The church I used to attend said we couldn't eat at the church building however the congregation would get together at the park or something and eat... so the church is still assembled your just in a different local... so this doesn't make sense to me either...

Since I have been studying this out it seems that the point in 1st Cor 11 is this... when you come together to edify and worship do that... partake of the lords supper in a decent and orderly manner... If you want to eat and do things of that sort do it apart from the Lords Supper and worship.

The church I have recently been attending makes note of this stating something like this...

This seems to be the answer its not the location that's being the focus here in 1st Cor 11... its how we should honour and respect the Lords Supper and worship and not turn it into something common or a common meal. Therefore if that's your attitude then you're doing it wrong.

If you make a distinction and then eat afterwards apart from worship then it seems to be ok.

However I just want to make sure and put my conscience at ease so I can join in with my fellow brethren...

So am I on the right track or is there a better way to explain... and if someone believes its wrong please voice your thoughts to... I'm still studying this out and want do what's right.

Hi Eric,

The main thing to consider in this issue is the context of 1 Corinthians. Remember, Paul was writing because there were divisions in the Church, remember in the beginning he was addressing their issue of division, "I am of Paul," "I am of Apollos," "I am of Cephas," "I am of Christ." It was common for the gentiles to boast of a teaching they followed such as Plato or others, and they were bringing this into the Church and Paul is reprimanding them for it. The same divisions were occurring at the communion, (Lord's supper). The Corinthians were trying to out do each other. Some were bringing big elaborate meals and and others could only bring a very small amount. They apparently were eating separately, so some would have this big fancy meal and the poor would only have a small meal, instead of putting the food together and letting everyone eat together. So, you can see where the division would hurt the congregation, some being poor probably felt inferior to the more wealthy ones and the wealthy were probably making a big show of themselves, being puffed up with pride. That is why Paul tells them to eat at home, they causing divisions in the Church.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77