PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Lucinda
May 5th 2009, 02:40 PM
When a person dies,does the spirit go to heaven right then?:confused

RabbiKnife
May 5th 2009, 02:55 PM
When a person dies,does the spirit go to heaven right then?:confused

Paul says that, for the believer, to be absent from the body (physical body--dead) is to be present (immediately) with the Lord.

ZAB
May 5th 2009, 02:57 PM
Yes. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Cor 5:8).

Lucinda
May 5th 2009, 03:00 PM
Paul says that, for the believer, to be absent from the body (physical body--dead) is to be present (immediately) with the Lord.
Yes I know this but what does asleep in christ mean?

Lucinda
May 5th 2009, 03:11 PM
The reason I ask is all my life I believed that when some one saved died the spirit went straight to heaven.I don't believe in soul sleep.November 2008 my 19 year old son died and I really,really need to know.I know the Bible,satan has stolen my joy and now my peace.

Dani H
May 5th 2009, 03:28 PM
From what I understand, "sleep" is a metaphor like we would use "passed on" today. Our bodies obviously decompose in the ground, and so we're not just "sleeping".

To be absent from the body means to be present with the Lord. Stephen when stoned cried out to Jesus to receive his spirit. So one way or another, in one form or another, we will be with God, whether it's according to our understanding of "heaven" or in some other way. Doesn't really matter as long as Jesus is there, does it?

ZAB
May 5th 2009, 03:46 PM
Dear Lucinda,
I am deeply sorry to hear that about your son. I pray that the God of all peace be with you and comfort you today.
2 Tim 4:22 "The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit..."

Concerning your question, I will do my best to explain it.
The verses I believe you are referring to are found in 1 Corinthians 15. Paul is saying in the preceding verses that if Jesus was not raised from the dead, then our faith is in vain, and we are made liars, and are yet still in our sins, and those who have died ("asleep") are forever perished. These things would be the gross effects of a Messiah who never rose from the grave. However, Paul's point was that Jesus did indeed rise from the grave, having defeated death! And the fear of vain faith and a powerless gospel is not there! Hallelujah!
Please read 1 Cor 15:20 "But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept."

When He talks about the resurrection later in verse 23, he is referring to the bodies of the saints. Their bodies will be glorified; their spirits, however, are already present with Jesus (2 Cor 5:8; Acts 7:59; Lk 23:46; Matt 17:1-3).

I hope this helps, God bless you.

Lucinda
May 5th 2009, 07:11 PM
Thank You for confirming what I know to be true.I wrote down the scripture and I will read them often.In our walk with Christ,I do believe that our faith will go through the fire.That's where my faith is.On top of this there is fiery darts coming in on every side.
My son "IS"saved and I know he is with the Lord and I need prayer.I think my hedge has come down

ZAB
May 5th 2009, 07:37 PM
You are welcome, Lucinda.
Be encouraged and know that the trial of your faith, though it be tried with fire, is "much more precious than that of gold that perishes" (1 Pet 1:7). And why so? Because it is working something in you of value and substance. It is for our profit, in the end, that we may be partakers of His holiness (Heb 12:10). "Afterward, it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who are excercised by it" (Heb 12:11).

God bless you.

Sojourner
May 5th 2009, 09:32 PM
...I need prayer.I think my hedge has come downPsalms 91: 1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress (refuge & fortress equals your hedge): my God; in him will I trust.

4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. 11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

Lucinda, your hedge is intact, your hedge is the Lord God. :hug:

Dani H
May 6th 2009, 01:04 AM
Thank You for confirming what I know to be true.I wrote down the scripture and I will read them often.In our walk with Christ,I do believe that our faith will go through the fire.That's where my faith is.On top of this there is fiery darts coming in on every side.
My son "IS"saved and I know he is with the Lord and I need prayer.I think my hedge has come down

I would encourage you to a) start a thread in our Prayer section so other believers can lift you up and b) feel free to start a thread in our Counseling section so we can provide you with further encouragement and help you along the way in fellowship and support. We're not alone, and we need one another. Right now you need encouragement and support, and it would be an honor to be here for you and help you through this difficult time, so please don't be afraid to ask. We also have trained ministers on staff and if you wish to chat with our ministers in private, then feel free to begin a thread in our Chat To Ministers section. There is no need to "toughen it out" when there is help available. :hug:

My heart's Desire
May 6th 2009, 04:19 AM
My mom died in 2007 and I know that her spirit is with the Lord. The Lord Jesus Christ resurrection from the dead reassures me that this is so. Those who are in Christ are where He is and I know my Mom knows it. Your son probably knows it too!
The Lord Jesus is everything that is Life. The Lord tells us that everyone who lives and believes in Him will never die and yet we know that we physically die so the Lord has to be saying that even if the body dies the believer never dies. Paul tells us to die is gain. The Lord tells us He is the God of the living.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77