PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Materials for Bible Reading?

TheAnswer99
May 5th 2009, 11:19 PM
I've pretty much read all of the Bible in random pieces over the years, but I'm attempting to go through it all at once for the first time ever (due to my recent epiphany/conversion)

Are there any study guides, books, etc. that could help guide me through the process. I often find that I am left with countless questions...and it would be annoying for me to past all of them on here haha

thanks

Br. Barnabas
May 5th 2009, 11:37 PM
I would suggest the Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart books: How to Read the Bible Book by Book and How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth. They are pretty good and basic. Will give you a good understanding of the texts and their background and what their message is.

Also I would suggest for the NT. N. T. Wright's Everyone's Series. The titles are for example Acts For Everyone and other books like that they are very good. Wright is one of the top Biblical Scholars in the world and Bishop of Durham in the Anglican Church. In the books he gives his own translation of the Greek then gives a short commentary on the passage. Usually pulling in a story or life experience. Almost like a mini sermon on each passage. They are basic but very good.

So those are some good starting points for you.

Perpetua
May 6th 2009, 01:31 AM
I've pretty much read all of the Bible in random pieces over the years, but I'm attempting to go through it all at once for the first time ever (due to my recent epiphany/conversion)

Are there any study guides, books, etc. that could help guide me through the process. I often find that I am left with countless questions...and it would be annoying for me to past all of them on here haha

thanks
One option is a good study Bible, such as the ESV Study Bible or the MacArthur Study Bible. I just got the "MacArthur Bible Commentary" which has the study bible notes plus a lot of extra charts and reference material.

The "Grace to You" website (John MacArthur ministry, www.gty.org (http://www.gty.org)) has a lot of good study material online. All of the sermons are available to download or read transcripts of online -- and MacArthur has done all of the New Testament (except gospel of Mark, currently doing that) plus a few Old Testament books. I often use the transcripts as a type of commentary, since you can search their website for various words and/or scripture references. The website also has many online study guides for Bible books, with the study material followed by several questions related to the topic.

Butch5
May 6th 2009, 01:56 AM

thanks

Get a set of the Ante-Nicene Fathers. It is not a commentary that you can search by verse, however, the information contained it the set is very valuable.

My heart's Desire
May 6th 2009, 04:04 AM

thanksWhy not just read it cover to cover and use the cross references that are already in most reference bibles for the verses that interest you. You'd be well on your way to comparing scripture with scripture. One that has the references at the end of the verse is usually easier than one with the references in the middle column. Any good study bible should have book introductions and an outline already in them. You'd be surprised at how much you learn just by reading it like a book.

Izdaari
May 6th 2009, 04:48 AM
an
I would suggest the Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart books: How to Read the Bible Book by Book and How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth. They are pretty good and basic. Will give you a good understanding of the texts and their background and what their message is.

Also I would suggest for the NT. N. T. Wright's Everyone's Series. The titles are for example Acts For Everyone and other books like that they are very good. Wright is one of the top Biblical Scholars in the world and Bishop of Durham in the Anglican Church. In the books he gives his own translation of the Greek then gives a short commentary on the passage. Usually pulling in a story or life experience. Almost like a mini sermon on each passage. They are basic but very good.

So those are some good starting points for you.
I agree with those suggestions, both the Fee/Stuart books, and the Tom Wright commentary series.

For a study bible, I think the ESV Study Bible is the best there is, closely followed by the new NLT Study Bible. The Nelson NKJV Study Bible and the Zondervan NIV & TNIV Study Bibles are also good. For a relative beginner, IMO the best study bible is the Quest Study Bible, which only comes in NIV. All of those are pretty free from sectarian bias, aside from being broadly evangelical.

Brother Mark
May 6th 2009, 05:09 AM

thanks

I recommend most anything written by Charles Spurgeon. Also, I recommend the preaching on the link in my sig.

cajunman4life
May 6th 2009, 01:19 PM
I'll toss my $0.02 in.

A few people have mentioned the ESV study bible. While I have no personal experience with it, it's on my shopping list, and seems to be quite good.

I also follow along in Matthew Henry's commentary quite often. That's usually how I realize I've "missed something" in the reading.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77