PDA

View Full Version : Discussion How many days was Noah in the ark?

-SEEKING-
May 14th 2009, 05:58 PM
I had always understood that Noah and family were in the ark for 150 days. Last night in our small group, it was mentioned that it was approximately 370 days. Anyone ever heard that before? I couldn't ask the teacher because it was a video.

manichunter
May 14th 2009, 06:10 PM
I had always understood that Noah and family were in the ark for 150 days. Last night in our small group, it was mentioned that it was approximately 370 days. Anyone ever heard that before? I couldn't ask the teacher because it was a video.

Another mystery is what month and day did everything take place. Each one coincided with Festival system. It rested in the seventh month on Tabernacles; water was about gone on Passover, and Noah got out on Pentecost. The day he got in is significant as well as yields to God doing things the same throughout time in regards to the days he use. I wonder if He will continue to use these dates.

-SEEKING-
May 14th 2009, 06:11 PM
Another mystery is what month and day did everything take place. Each one coincided with Festival system. It rested in the seventh month on Tabernacles; water was about gone on Passover, and Noah got out on Pentecost. The day he got in is significant as well as yields to God doing things the same throughout time in regards to the days he use. I wonder if He will continue to use these dates.

Ok. So you're saying it took ______ days?

manichunter
May 14th 2009, 06:27 PM
Ok. So you're saying it took ______ days?

According to Scripture it was one full year....... on the lunar calendar, not the solar calender, from second month to second month. Gen 7 and 8

-SEEKING-
May 14th 2009, 06:29 PM
According to Scripture it was one full year....... on the lunar calendar, not the solar calender, from second month to second month. Gen 7 and 8

"Gen. 7:24 And the waters prevailed on the earth 150 days."

That's how I always saw it.

manichunter
May 14th 2009, 06:33 PM
"Gen. 7:24 And the waters prevailed on the earth 150 days."

That's how I always saw it.

That is fair if you make that a finite interpretation. I would look into the matter by defining each keyword to get a more accurate meaning if at all possible. I mean, the word prevailed could mean multiple things and could fit into the context of the text differently from today's applications.

-SEEKING-
May 14th 2009, 06:40 PM
Hmm. You may be on to something here.

"Gen. 7:1724 The devastating results of the flood are described, fulfilling the judgment that God had previously pronounced. the waters prevailed on the earth 150 days (v. 24). The figure of 150 days, which includes the 40 days of rain mentioned in v. 12, is repeated in 8:3. In both places it denotes the five-month period that falls between the detailed chronological notices given in 7:11 (marking the very start of the flood on the 17th day of the second month) and 8:4 (when the ark comes to a place of rest on the 17th day of the seventh month). It will be a further seven months before the land is sufficiently dry for those in the ark to disembark safely (see 8:1314). On the depth of the flood (above the mountains), see note on 6:17."

"Gen. 8:514 The slow, gradual process by which the waters receded and the land dried out (v. 14) is captured by the detailed account of Noah's releasing a raven (v. 7) and then a dove (vv. 812). As in ch. 1, the dry land emerges from the waters."

Thanks for the feedback Mani.

manichunter
May 14th 2009, 06:49 PM
Hmm. You may be on to something here.

"Gen. 7:1724 The devastating results of the flood are described, fulfilling the judgment that God had previously pronounced. the waters prevailed on the earth 150 days (v. 24). The figure of 150 days, which includes the 40 days of rain mentioned in v. 12, is repeated in 8:3. In both places it denotes the five-month period that falls between the detailed chronological notices given in 7:11 (marking the very start of the flood on the 17th day of the second month) and 8:4 (when the ark comes to a place of rest on the 17th day of the seventh month). It will be a further seven months before the land is sufficiently dry for those in the ark to disembark safely (see 8:1314). On the depth of the flood (above the mountains), see note on 6:17."

"Gen. 8:514 The slow, gradual process by which the waters receded and the land dried out (v. 14) is captured by the detailed account of Noah's releasing a raven (v. 7) and then a dove (vv. 812). As in ch. 1, the dry land emerges from the waters."

Thanks for the feedback Mani.

You asking the question led to me studying the whole two chapters and get all kind of details. I also noticed that he did not get when the ground was dry, but waited on the Lord to tell him when to get out. He walked by trust and not by sight. Eventhough the ground was dry, the boy stayed put until told differently.

St-Vox
May 14th 2009, 07:38 PM

From what I have heard is was on the month May 21st 4990 B.C., 17th day of the second month):hmm:

markedward
May 14th 2009, 08:01 PM
Another mystery is what month and day did everything take place. Each one coincided with Festival system. It rested in the seventh month on Tabernacles; water was about gone on Passover, and Noah got out on Pentecost.Considering Scripture doesn't exactly say anything about this, of course, this is all guesswork. Not that it's not interesting to consider, but it's certainly not explicit.

John146
May 14th 2009, 08:24 PM
I had always understood that Noah and family were in the ark for 150 days. Last night in our small group, it was mentioned that it was approximately 370 days. Anyone ever heard that before? I couldn't ask the teacher because it was a video.I think I know how they came up with the 370 days and it does make sense.

Genesis 8
1And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters assuaged;
2The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained;
3And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.
4And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.
5And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.

I'm not certain if the 40 days that it rained are included in the 150 days. Let's assume so. If I'm reading this right, the 150 days ended on the 17th day of the 7th month. But even the mountains were still under water at that point. The top of the mountains were not even seen until about 74 days later. But they did not get off the ark yet at that point.

Genesis 8
13And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from off the earth: and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and, behold, the face of the ground was dry.
14And in the second month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month, was the earth dried.
15And God spake unto Noah, saying,
16Go forth of the ark, thou, and thy wife, and thy sons, and thy sons' wives with thee.

So, 150 days takes us up to the 17th day of the 7th month. Noah and his family did not get off the ark until the following year in the 27th day of the 2nd month. So, we have 150 plus the last 13 days of the 7th month plus 6 months or 180 days (months 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 of the year of the flood and 1st month of following year) plus 27 days, which is 370 days (150 + 13 + 180 + 27).

Reynolds357
May 14th 2009, 08:41 PM
He was in the ark a minimum of a full SOLAR year. He went into the ark on the 17th day of the second month. He left the ark no earlier than the 27th day of the second month the following year

manichunter
May 14th 2009, 09:00 PM
Considering Scripture doesn't exactly say anything about this, of course, this is all guesswork. Not that it's not interesting to consider, but it's certainly not explicit.

:rofl:
How so, God gives Israel his calendar in Exodus and tells them that this was a new calendar to them, it does not mean it was new, just new to them. Genesis would not track months, days, and years if a calendar had not been known to the writer of the text as well as the one who experienced it. How else did you think Noah knew he was 600 when the flood began............. LOL

written out of fun :rofl:

manichunter
May 14th 2009, 09:02 PM
He was in the ark a minimum of a full SOLAR year. He went into the ark on the 17th day of the second month. He left the ark no earlier than the 27th day of the second month the following year

The bible is written from a lunar calendar prospective.

RabbiKnife
May 14th 2009, 09:03 PM
Under a lunar calendar calculation you have 12 x 30 day months + 10 days = 370, I think.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77