PDA

View Full Version : Slippery slope..any matching bible verses?

moonglow
May 20th 2009, 02:58 PM
People often use that expression on here and while its a good one, I am wanting verses that mean the same thing. Thanks.

God bless

Zack702
May 20th 2009, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure of the implications of the statement but I searched out a few verses that has to do with slipping. And in the order I found they almost seam to fit together.

Psalm 73:2-3
But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.
For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

Psalm 94:17-21
Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.
When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O LORD, held me up.
In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.
Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with thee, which frameth mischief by a law?
They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous, and condemn the innocent blood.

Jeremiah 23:11-13
For both prophet and priest are profane; yea, in my house have I found their wickedness, saith the LORD.
Wherefore their way shall be unto them as slippery ways in the darkness: they shall be driven on, and fall therein: for I will bring evil upon them, even the year of their visitation, saith the LORD.
And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.

Hebrews 2:1-4
Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;
How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

moonglow
May 20th 2009, 05:09 PM
Hey thank you Zack702 those are some excellent verses and what I was looking for. :)

God bless

Clay Blucher
May 20th 2009, 05:15 PM
People often use that expression on here and while its a good one, I am wanting verses that mean the same thing. Thanks.

God bless

A slippery slope is not a theological idea, but rather a rhetorical fallacy. It usually states that action X leads to behavior Y, where Y is considered worse than X. By proclaiming that someone has committed a slippery slope argument, a person is trying to discredit the argument as illogical.

As such you won't find Bible verses describing a slippery slope fallacy. Which makes sense since the Bible was not written for philosophical or rhetorical handbook, nor contains all truth in the world.

moonglow
May 20th 2009, 05:47 PM
A slippery slope is not a theological idea, but rather a rhetorical fallacy. It usually states that action X leads to behavior Y, where Y is considered worse than X. By proclaiming that someone has committed a slippery slope argument, a person is trying to discredit the argument as illogical.

As such you won't find Bible verses describing a slippery slope fallacy. Which makes sense since the Bible was not written for philosophical or rhetorical handbook, nor contains all truth in the world.

I think the slippery slope is a sound concept though and I do believe the bible warns against slipping in the first place. The way people use it, at least on here, is for instance by allowing for no fault divorce years ago, it caused a slippery slope for people making it an easy out if a marriage was simply going through a rough patch, instead of staying and trying to work things out...now the divorce rate has sky rocketed showing this was indeed a very slippery slope. It used to be divorce was only allowed under certain situations...adultery, abandonment, abuse...so people knowing this took 'getting married' in the first place much more seriously and worked harder at staying marriage. People now get married more casually with the idea, if it doesn't work out we can always get a divorce. So the slippery slope is even harder to climb with this attitude in mind.

The bible warns of not falling back into sin..as Christians if we don't stay in tune to what the Holy Spirit is telling us...shrug off what we see as 'small sin's, we begin on this slippery slope and pretty soon a few other 'small sin' creep in and we slide further down that slope..before we know it our sins are many and much worse and getting back up that slippery slope gets harder and harder. Its a very bad place to be for sure. So I figured there would be bible verses describing the concept of the slippery slope and Zack702 posted those for me.

God bless

slightlypuzzled
May 20th 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure of the implications of the statement but I searched out a few verses that has to do with slipping. And in the order I found they almost seam to fit together.

Psalm 73:2-3
But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.
For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

Psalm 94:17-21
Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.
When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O LORD, held me up.
In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.
Shall the throne of iniquity have fellowship with thee, which frameth mischief by a law?
They gather themselves together against the soul of the righteous, and condemn the innocent blood.

Jeremiah 23:11-13
For both prophet and priest are profane; yea, in my house have I found their wickedness, saith the LORD.
Wherefore their way shall be unto them as slippery ways in the darkness: they shall be driven on, and fall therein: for I will bring evil upon them, even the year of their visitation, saith the LORD.
And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.

Hebrews 2:1-4
Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;
How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Thanks, I could not come up with much of anything....hope that doesn't mean I'm sliding down the greased hill.....:lol:

Clay Blucher
May 20th 2009, 06:13 PM
I think the slippery slope is a sound concept though and I do believe the bible warns against slipping in the first place... So the slippery slope is even harder to climb with this attitude in mind.

The bible warns of not falling back into sin...

But you are confusing the formal definition of "slippery slope" with the analogy of "falling back into sin." The two are not the same. Slippery slopes do not always have to deal with sin, and so recognizing the distinctions between each is important. We should be clear with our words and meanings as much as possible.

slightlypuzzled
May 20th 2009, 06:17 PM

In one sense, you are right. Hermeneutics has not much in common with slippery slope....although 'Practical Theology' might. Many times we can declare something to be sin simply because it 'looks like' what is a sinful habit when it is only a matter of how you perceive and think about something. The logical fallacy can aid in deciding if we are making a proper application of scripture or not. The following link, from the 'Fallacy files' is a good explanation:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/slipslop.html

The bottom example about baldness is a good one, it convinces me that I am not really going bald, just 'less hairy'.....:lol:

Now, the 'slippery slope' can exist, it is not just a fallacy, but an acknowledgment that a present position can quite easily lead to something that is not really desired. The most glaring example I have seen, on this board, was from two professed Christians who were not married to each other. 'We are just sleeping together in the same bed, we do not engage in sex or even think about it.' Besides it being a 'hard to swallow point', this could be a 'slippery slope' that could easily fall into fornication. Their actions have place them where it is quite easy to fall over into something that is quite wrong.
I think the idea of a 'slippery slope' is valid if we consider that Satan uses every opportunity to lead us into sin. As one who can appear as an Angel of light, he is able to make so many thing look harmless, and then use them to draw us into places we should not go.

moonglow
May 20th 2009, 06:32 PM
Clay Blucher
But you are confusing the formal definition of "slippery slope" with the analogy of "falling back into sin." The two are not the same. Slippery slopes do not always have to deal with sin, and so recognizing the distinctions between each is important. We should be clear with our words and meanings as much as possible.

I wasn't aware there was a formal definition of slippery slope...I am going by how I have seen people on here use it for years.

Maybe this will help and why I am looking for verses on this...which were given.

I had a dream a few days ago where Jesus was standing on a mountain shaped like a volcano..but instead of being made of rocks and grass, it was made up of something slick and slippery and was silver in color. I was standing at the foot of it looking up at Him and He beckoned me to come to Him so I did. The key was keeping my eye ON Him though and not looking around like Peter did when walking on the water to Him. I was barefoot and my feet were able to easier grip the slope as I went up...which amazed me. Once I got to the top of it there was little room to stand..just enough for a couple of people. Then I heard people calling to Him and I looked down and people were all around the foot of this silver mountain calling for Jesus..lifting their arms up to Him.

He didn't even act like He heard them but had me follow Him on a path that was made up of this same slippery sliver stuff and the path was very narrow. It was again made known to me without words being spoken, to keep my eyes on Him...so I focused on His back as He lead the way. The path got more and more narrow and actually finally got to the point it should have been impossible to walk on at all...it was so narrow there was no room but for one foot, not two. Yet I was somehow able to walk on it. Every now and then I would look down at the people calling Him and saw the slope got steeper and steeper until finally it was totally vertical and being so smooth there was nothing to grab onto to climb..then finally I couldn't even see the ends of it at all it went so far down and a fog covered it. So I kept following walking on an impossibly narrow path until we came to a rise with a door in it. Jesus opened it, we went in and He closed the door...even while people were still crying for Him.

Matthew 7:13-15

The Narrow Gate
13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

Luke 13:23-25
23 Someone asked him, “Lord, will only a few be saved?”

He replied, 24 “Work hard to enter the narrow door to God’s Kingdom, for many will try to enter but will fail. 25 When the master of the house has locked the door, it will be too late. You will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Lord, open the door for us!’ But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’

After I had that dream, which was rather unnerving I might add...I couldn't understand why would Jesus ignore those crying out to Him. That just seemed so unlike Him, yet there comes a time, the door closes and its too late and the path too slippery to climb. :(

God bless

Clay Blucher
May 20th 2009, 06:46 PM
In one sense, you are right. Hermeneutics has not much in common with slippery slope....although 'Practical Theology' might. Many times we can declare something to be sin simply because it 'looks like' what is a sinful habit when it is only a matter of how you perceive and think about something. The logical fallacy can aid in deciding if we are making a proper application of scripture or not. The following link, from the 'Fallacy files' is a good explanation:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/slipslop.html

The bottom example about baldness is a good one, it convinces me that I am not really going bald, just 'less hairy'.....:lol:

Now, the 'slippery slope' can exist, it is not just a fallacy, but an acknowledgment that a present position can quite easily lead to something that is not really desired. The most glaring example I have seen, on this board, was from two professed Christians who were not married to each other. 'We are just sleeping together in the same bed, we do not engage in sex or even think about it.' Besides it being a 'hard to swallow point', this could be a 'slippery slope' that could easily fall into fornication. Their actions have place them where it is quite easy to fall over into something that is quite wrong.
I think the idea of a 'slippery slope' is valid if we consider that Satan uses every opportunity to lead us into sin. As one who can appear as an Angel of light, he is able to make so many thing look harmless, and then use them to draw us into places we should not go.

For us that are called to lead, or at the least, advise upon how people live out their lives, I think it is a shame that we feel it necessary to take the easy routes to direct another's behavior. A slippery slope argument is a fallacy for a reason. It accomplishes little for those already wishing to engage in questionable behavior, since they can convince themselves that they will, in fact, not fall down the slippery slope.

I'm not saying that slippery slopes cannot exist, or are not an observable phenomenon. But if we rely upon such an argument of "X is bad; doing Y might lead to X, and so you should not do Y" then we are not doing justice to theology at all. Where is the declaration that sin is more than just breaking rules, but not living to God's standards? I think we can make the same argument without the injection of the fallacy, but based upon actual theology. And in my experiences, people have been more open to this approach since it involves reflection upon one's motivations rather than just actions. Same outcome, different approaches.

Zack702
May 20th 2009, 07:46 PM
I had a dream a few days ago where Jesus was standing on a mountain shaped like a volcano..but instead of being made of rocks and grass, it was made up of something slick and slippery and was silver in color. I was standing at the foot of it looking up at Him and He beckoned me to come to Him so I did. The key was keeping my eye ON Him though and not looking around like Peter did when walking on the water to Him.
God bless

Hey thats a amazing dream. When I first read your original post the first thing I thought about was the Rock. It's not a litteral rock its a sure place sent by God. I think it means without keeping faith in the Rock of God you are standing on a place that is perhaps slippery and sloped.

moonglow
May 20th 2009, 07:57 PM
Hey thats a amazing dream. When I first read your original post the first thing I thought about was the Rock. It's not a litteral rock its a sure place sent by God. I think it means without keeping faith in the Rock of God you are standing on a place that is perhaps slippery and sloped.

I agree..thanks for your insightful post. :) Yes anytime we take our eyes off of Him we are in danger of sliding away...

God bless

apothanein kerdos
May 20th 2009, 08:01 PM
Anything Roman Catholic is bad. The Trinity doctrine was defined by Roman Catholics. Believing in the Trinity could cause one to engage in Roman Catholicism. Therefore, one should not believe in the Trinity.

That's a slippery slope argument. It says nothing about the truthfulness of the Trinity, merely that there are some potentially negative consequences.

Sometimes there are things that appear to be slippery slope arguments, but aren't. For instance, if action P leads to and only leads to consequence S in every and all situations, then it's adequate to say that because S is an undesirable consequence, one should not engage in P.

However, if action P leads to consequence S sometimes (which is not desirable), but it sometimes also leads to consequences Q and R, both of which are desirable, then a slippery slope would occur if we said, "P sometimes leads to S, therefore P is bad."

Clay was accurate in showing why we don't see this dealt with in Scripture as well. Scripture doesn't lay down the laws of logic, but it certainly uses them.

Zack702
May 20th 2009, 09:46 PM
Slipping is the opposite of progressing. I think that is the logical use of it in the bible. A slippery slope then would be untraversable without help.

Just as a slippery slope "argument" would perhaps be unacceptable without further elaboration or complete trust in it's variables. But when you have complete understanding of the events whereby Y leads to X then it is valid.

It's not just sliding down a slope with no way to change your course. The way to progress or slip is always there. That is the biblical use of slidding. The Logical use of slippery slope to define that action Y will eventually cause X without proof of how exactly it will do so is what is flawed.

Y=slippery slope
leads to
X=bottom of slippery slope

J=Jesus
leads to
H=Heaven

Partaker of Christ
May 20th 2009, 11:11 PM
Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understand

Is it possible that the Galatians, may have perceived 'continuing in the flesh' as progress, according to their own understanding?

1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Luke 9:48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

Luke 13:30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

apothanein kerdos
May 20th 2009, 11:13 PM
I think people are confusing a "slippery slope" with "backsliding."

A slippery slope is just the name given to a logical fallacy. There aren't spiritual implications to it...

moonglow
May 21st 2009, 12:28 AM
I think people are confusing a "slippery slope" with "backsliding."

A slippery slope is just the name given to a logical fallacy. There aren't spiritual implications to it...

But even you agree with a post using this expression of slippery slope ak:
http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=2051345&postcount=21

I found that by accident by the way as I did a search for any posts with the words slippery slop in them to show you all I am not just confused..I really got this from many, many board members. Its used in a completely different way then what the formal definition means...and frankly, it works.

Like I said before I didn't even know there was a formal definition for this..I only went by how people use it here on the board all the time..here are some examples covering several different topics (where I have star breaks it means a change of topic..other wise its an exchange between two or more members):

You TE folks remain on the slippery slope to unbelief - denying anything and everything in God’s word that cannot be ‘proven’ by science as though science must trump the word of God. Most TEs start out allegorizing Creation and the Flood and end by denying the Resurrection.

If you're going to try and make the case for physical evidence of your view you can't do it half way: either observable evidence supports your view or it does not, you're perfectly welcome to advance physical evidence that supports your view while at the same time criticize those who hold to physical evidence that contradicts your view as being "on a slippery slope to unbelief" but you're not going to convince anyone of the veracity of your argument that way.

I appreciate you keeping me honest but you can go back and review by comments on “fudging scientists” and it was not a blanket charge at all. To deny there are shoddy or dishonest scientists is to deny reality. Like other professions, scientists in general are honest but there are exceptions as I have pointed out and I will be more than happy to provide more quacks for you to review (but not on this thread – off-topic). Regarding those who are on the slippery slope to unbelief - my post was in reference to “theistic evolutionists” (TE) and comes from observational experience.

They'd be stepping in when a human life could be given a high chance of being saved, when at the same time, parents want to opt for something with much LESS of a chance of saving their child.

This too is playing the numbers and "let the government decide" mentality which is an ugly, slippery slope. Can we get a solid number from YOU as to what percentage is acceptable, or do you believe in "common sense" as well?
Yes, murder is wrong and it has been made a crime. But it is a wrong performed on an unwilling victim. With homosexuality, it is between consenting adults. That makes it a slippery slope for the lawmakers. We, as Christians, need to make sure our children are educated.
I think one of the reasons we are in such a dreadful condition as a nation right now is we, as Christians, decided to have "the church" do our work for us. If we gave them more money, we would be absolved of actually getting our hands dirty; and by doing that we could close our eyes to the man on the corner who asked for food which eventually led to our hearts being closed. Then when the church couldn't or didn't keep up, we decided it would be best if the government dealt with it. It was a slippery slope that has become ever steeper and ever more slippery as the years have passed.

apothanein kerdos
May 21st 2009, 12:33 AM
Okay, I see what you're saying.

Like I said, sometimes it can be used correctly, but most of the time it's just a term for a logical fallacy. Now some might say "you're on a slipper slope," but as I think that's the informal use of the word. It deals more with how we live, that we're heading down a dangerous path.

In its formal form, however, it is a logical fallacy.

moonglow
May 21st 2009, 12:55 AM
Okay, I see what you're saying.

Like I said, sometimes it can be used correctly, but most of the time it's just a term for a logical fallacy. Now some might say "you're on a slipper slope," but as I think that's the informal use of the word. It deals more with how we live, that we're heading down a dangerous path.

In its formal form, however, it is a logical fallacy.

I guess we are all informal on here...:lol::lol: I wonder what else I learned wrong from this board? :hmm:

A straw man really is used to scare away the crows, right? ;) :lol:

I need one in my back yard right now cause the birds are sure making a stinky mess...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyway sorry about the confusion on this.

God bless

apothanein kerdos
May 21st 2009, 01:04 AM
I guess we are all informal on here...:lol::lol: I wonder what else I learned wrong from this board? :hmm:

A straw man really is used to scare away the crows, right? ;) :lol:

I need one in my back yard right now cause the birds are sure making a stinky mess...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyway sorry about the confusion on this.

God bless

Sometimes I wish we could be like ze Germans and just have "Higher English" and "Lower English."

Then again, to some English is "lower German".

moonglow
May 21st 2009, 01:27 AM
Sometimes I wish we could be like ze Germans and just have "Higher English" and "Lower English."

Then again, to some English is "lower German".

Yea and then put it in our AV's so everyone would know which language we were speaking...:rolleyes: :lol:

I know a professional man that went to the northern part of the US to give a speech..when he was done the announcer thanked him and said she was sure he gave a lovely speech but no one could understand what he said. He is from the central part of the US. They couldn't understand his ' southern accent' and his 'slow speech' ..:lol::lol: I thought that was so funny..lol He doesn't even live close to the southern part of the US but to them he sounded very southern. Plus they talk really fast there!

I live in a rural part of Kansas...if I went and tried to talk to inner city kids in New York I seriously doubt any of us could understand each other very well.

Considering we have people on here from all over the world, many where English isn't even their first language, different customs, cultures, and even words that have different meanings, its not surprising in a way, we have developed our own language as a way on here to get ideas across to each other. Surely though the expression, slippery slope is used like this elsewhere on the net..or maybe its unique to Christian sites? I don't know..:hmm:

God bless

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77