PDA

View Full Version : Baptism...how many times?

SavedByHisGrace
Jun 30th 2009, 03:58 PM
How many times can or should one be baptized? I ask because I was baptized by my own will when I was about 6. I was baptized again via full immersion when I was 18 because I had found a new church and felt that God had called me to “start over anew”. Then I went off to college on fire for God and somehow got caught in darkness and became a pagan. Now that I have been saved and born again by His grace I feel that once I find a church to call home I should be baptized one more time…but I’m not sure if it’s necessary or not since I’ve already been baptized. (FYI, I don’t see baptism as just something you can do whenever you feel like it because you’ve messed up somewhere along the lines…after all, is that not what Christ died on the cross for? To forgive our sins when we mess up?) So I guess in a nutshell I'm asking if my previous baptism is "enough"? I've searched through the Bible and think that it may be...but I haven't always been the best at interpretations when I'm already frazzled.:spin:

Thanks for any and all help!

fuzzi
Jun 30th 2009, 04:15 PM
Once you accept Christ, you should get baptized as a symbol of obedience. Howver, it does not wash you clean from your sins.

I was 'sprinkled' when I was nine years old, but I did not believe in Christ, I was not 'born again'. When I got saved, at 40, I felt I needed to be baptized, since I was now a new creature, a believer. I found a church, and went forward to be baptized by immersion soon after.

All we need to do when we 'stray' is repent and ask the Lord to forgive us (He already has) and ask for His cleansing, to remove the guilt of the sin(s). See 1 John 1. We do not need to be 'rebaptized', even if we switch churches.

Br. Barnabas
Jun 30th 2009, 05:18 PM
Baptism should only be done once. Most churches will only baptize once unless a pervious baptism was invalid. Such as it was only done in the name of Jesus and not Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Other than that the Baptism is a sign that we are in covenant with God, much as circumcision was for the Jews. Since you have been baptized before you were and are in covenant with God and do not need to be baptized again. You can talk about it with your new pastor or minister when you find one, be sure to tell him/her that you were baptized before.

blessedmommyuv3
Jun 30th 2009, 08:25 PM
I think it depends on your denomination as to whether the pastor/church will allow for another baptism.
This is my experience:
I was sprinkled at 9 in a Methodist church; I "re-dedicated" my life at 16 and was baptized in a Baptist church; Last November, after I truly was saved and born again--I was baptized with my husband by our current Pastor, who is Baptist. Our former Methodist Minister refused to re-baptize us.
I think you need to pray and follow what you feel God is leading you to do.
If you were not saved when you were baptized previously, then I do not believe it should "count against you" for lack of a better phrase.

Jen :D

Matt14
Jun 30th 2009, 09:32 PM
According to scripture, baptism is for these purposes:

1. Remission of sins, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16.

2. Becoming a disciple, Matt. 28:19.

3. Being saved, Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21.

4. Sharing in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, Rom. 6:3-8.

5. "Putting on" Christ, Gal. 3:27.

6. Being added to the church, Acts 2:41, 47 (not a denomination, but the body of Christ itself.)

Notice that none of these passages say anything about baptism being unnecessary, for the purpose of witnessing to others, or for joining a local or denominational group.

If you were baptized for any reason other than the above biblical reasons, then you should be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, just as the Bible says (Acts 2:38).

Notice in Acts 19:1-5 that there were some men in Ephesus who were baptized for the wrong reasons, and Paul had them baptized for the right reasons.

May God bless you richly as you study His word,

Matt

Twin2
Jun 30th 2009, 09:33 PM
I testified to being baptized a second time. Here is the link. http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=169289 Perhaps the discussion that followed that testimony may be helpful for you now.

Cyberseeker
Jun 30th 2009, 11:29 PM
I have a confession to make. I was baptized at age 20 shortly after coming to Christ. My plan was to bring my packet of Pall Mall Filter and let them go at the bottom of the baptismal font but the Pastor kindly dissuaded me. Just as well, come to think of it, because they would have floated to the top. :rolleyes: So he said to leave them on his desk and God would sort that problem out in the fullness of time which I'm pleased to say he did about 3 months later.

Now for all you Catholics, baby sprinklers and dry-clean'n experts we need to point out that full immersion administered backwards is the proper way of doing it. However, I was a lanky lad (6ft 1in) and the baptismal font had concrete sides and looked rather short and I didn't like the look of the back wall. So to cut a long story, when I got dunked I bent my legs up to avoid hitting my head on the end.

Now, here is my confession. :blush: When I come up again I had two dry circles on my trousers around each of my knees which failed (I'm afraid to say) to get baptized.

So here is my question? Do you think that's the reason why I've been a little bit wobbly in my Christian walk? ;)

Cyber

blessedmommyuv3
Jun 30th 2009, 11:44 PM
Rofl---
My embarrassing baptism story...
Our pastor lost hold of me--he slipped in the baptismal--and I just floated away!
So I got good and baptized this last and final time- lol!
We were both a bit embarrassed.
He told the congregation it was a first for him. He had never lost anybody before! :lol::lol::lol:

crossnote
Jul 1st 2009, 03:43 AM
Once wil suffice. Or, how many times does one need to be crucified, buried, and resurrect?

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
(Rom 6:3-5)

fuzzi
Jul 1st 2009, 12:24 PM
Now, here is my confession. :blush: When I come up again I had two dry circles on my trousers around each of my knees which failed (I'm afraid to say) to get baptized.

So here is my question? Do you think that's the reason why I've been a little bit wobbly in my Christian walk? ;)
LOL! That's funny, Cyber. I don't have a funny baptism story like you and Jen. Mine was 'normal'.

I'd say you'd better stay on top of your knees, brother, ( :pray: ) because they didn't get baptized properly! :D

On a side note, after I got 'saved' for real, I went to a Presbyterian church for a few months, and they refused to baptize me, because I'd already been sprinkled as a child. Even though I'd not believed when I was sprinkled, they said it would be a re-baptism. Within a year I joined a Baptist church where they baptized me by immersion. :)

karenoka27
Jul 1st 2009, 12:55 PM
Some of you are just too funny...even if you did derail this thread...:lol:

I was baptized as a baby...accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior in 1984 and was baptized as a believer. I don't believe there is any need to ever be baptized again. I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it says to get baptized again if you spent some time in the world and returned to Christ much like a prodigal son. Just my opinion.

In 1985 I asked the Lord for a son. I told the Lord that if He granted my request, I would raise him to walk with Him one day and much like Hannah's prayer,give him back to the Lord.
I was baptized at 7 months pregnant...with my son. That young man is now in college to be a youth pastor.

Clydson
Jul 1st 2009, 01:54 PM
According to scripture, baptism is for these purposes:

1. Remission of sins, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16.

2. Becoming a disciple, Matt. 28:19.

3. Being saved, Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21.

4. Sharing in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, Rom. 6:3-8.

5. "Putting on" Christ, Gal. 3:27.

6. Being added to the church, Acts 2:41, 47 (not a denomination, but the body of Christ itself.)

Notice that none of these passages say anything about baptism being unnecessary, for the purpose of witnessing to others, or for joining a local or denominational group.

If you were baptized for any reason other than the above biblical reasons, then you should be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, just as the Bible says (Acts 2:38).

Notice in Acts 19:1-5 that there were some men in Ephesus who were baptized for the wrong reasons, and Paul had them baptized for the right reasons.

May God bless you richly as you study His word,

Matt
Greetings Matt.

Just wanted to amen and echo your post, and to include a little in regard to the op's question concerning the number of times one should be baptized.

It is my conclusion that a single immersion is all that is required for man to be effectively baptized. I believe Jesus was teaching this during his conversation with Peter;

John 13:7-11
7 Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this."
8 Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
9 Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!"
10 Jesus said to him, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
11 For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, "You are not all clean."
NKJV

John seems to explain this "partial" cleaning after one is "completely clean";

1 John 1:7
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
NKJV

The initial "cleansing" remits all our past sins and puts us in "the light", as Luke explains, "...the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved" Acts 2:47 (also verse 41 which you included). Then, as we continue in our daily walk with the Lord, we may stumble from time to time and become soiled, which the blood of Jesus overcomes and cleanses us. It is, however, our duty to acknowledge and be responsible for our own sins;

1 John 1:9
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
NKJV

Once we have been effectively baptized, there is no reason to ever be re-baptized for the same purpose. It is just a matter of faithfulness and repentance from then on.

Jake

blessedmommyuv3
Jul 1st 2009, 08:30 PM
In 1985 I asked the Lord for a son. I told the Lord that if He granted my request, I would raise him to walk with Him one day and much like Hannah's prayer,give him back to the Lord.
I was baptized at 7 months pregnant...with my son. That young man is now in college to be a youth pastor.

Aww, that gave me chills.... so cool :)
What an incredible God we serve. How amazing is it that the Holy Spirit led you to pray that prayer? :D

Jen

M&M
Jul 1st 2009, 11:20 PM
I was born and raised Baptist, so I was baptized by immersion too. I was so short that I had to stand on a milk crate and hang on to the preacher so I wouldn't go under too soon. I think the water was nearly up to my chin, so there wasn't much left to dunk. :lol:

Since then, God called me home to the Catholic Church :) - and the Church's policy is to recognize other Christian baptisms, so they don't allow re-baptism.

Matt14, excellent post. :thumbsup:

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77