PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Desire vs. Lust

JohnnieGuy
Aug 11th 2009, 09:57 PM
I love the fact that God gave us sexual desire, and although I have not been obedient to Him in said regard in the past I am now totally devoted to Him and will wait for marriage or death, whatever His will for my life is.

What is the difference between sexual desire and lust? I notice nice looking young ladies and I admire their shape or the way God made them, and I notice I am attracted to them, which I think is a good thing.

But sometimes my thoughts will go sexual, without me even realizing it. When I notice it, I think I notice it is wrong and I ask God to cleanse my mind. I sometimes also have sexual images in my head of sex or whatever, and I am not really convicted of it being wrong. In fact I look forward to a sexual relationship in love and marriage.

I was wondering where the line is between natural desire and lust? And what is the difference between a thought and a temptation?

I think it's normal and natural to have sexual desires and be aroused by the act of sex but I know Jesus said when we lust in our heart we are sinning. So what's the difference, and why aren't I convicted over some fantasy thoughts? It's sort of like I get a thought of 'doing' something with no particular female, just in general. I don't act upon it, but it's a thought, and I enjoy the prospect of being married and enjoying sex one day.

kewldude
Aug 11th 2009, 11:03 PM
lust in our hearts could mean many more things then just of sexual nature like the lust of money , the lust of anger , and so on .. I am in the the same struggle with you where I admire the girl's shape but I must be be
very wary , to be obedient cause in the end as soon as I look I know my thoughts will go astray and I will feel bad, as soon as you feel bad you know your in the wrong thought zone and ask for forgiviness and the way out of it. With scripture or prayer both are your weapons. I am a 22 year old male btw so comming from that stand point.

tt1106
Aug 11th 2009, 11:09 PM
God made us physical, spiritual and sexual. Throughout the Bible man has been given over to our out of control impulses.
What you describe is familiar to most of us, because prior to receiving the Holy Spirit, I was completely Carnal. The truth is, the more you fill your mind and time with things of Heavenly perspective, the more mastery over your thoughts and body the Lord gives you. It is not uncommon to lust. Paul talks about fleeing from sexual sin, why, because it is the most difficult to control and also does the most damage when engaged in irresponsibly.
Take every thought captive. Fill your mind with Godly things. Pray unceasingly and eventually God gives you mastery over this, much like any other stronghold.
It is not easy, but it is rewarding. Then, once you are in a Godly relationship with a Godly woman, you can experience what God truly intended for marriage to be. A oneness that is often imitated but never duplicated.

God Bless,

tt1106

The Mighty Sword
Aug 11th 2009, 11:18 PM
It's natural to desire the opposite sex, just don't act on it, you know the drill, If you burn you must marry, do not violate the temple of The Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 7:9
But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Sedux gave me some great advice, not concernong this matter but in general, "Take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ", it's been stuck in my head ever since, thanks Sedux.:)

RollTide21
Aug 12th 2009, 09:53 PM
I look at sexual desire the same way that I would any other temptation. At what point does it not jive with the Holy Spirit? Whenever that point arrives, it's the lust that we are warned against.

If I look at an attractive girl and immediately think, "Man, she looks good", that is natural and not in conflict with the Spirit. What controls our attraction to how a girl LOOKS? I would say that's our sex drive...hence that is sexual desire. What else would it be? If my mind lingers on her and I begin to imagine myself withher and what that would be like, well, that's when sexual desire turns to lust and I'm in direct conflict with the Holiness of the Spirit. That's when we should turn to the Spirit to cleanse our thoughts.

I haven't been a member of this board for very long, but I've noticed it's a great tool for what I described above. If I'm browsing another message board and I'm reading about or seeing pictures of things that can arouse lust, I'll flip over to this board and get into a few topics. I notice that, without fail, I very quickly forget about what I saw or read on the other board.

The hardest part is tearing my mind away from the object of lust, initially.

The Mighty Sword
Aug 12th 2009, 10:41 PM
I look at sexual desire the same way that I would any other temptation. At what point does it not jive with the Holy Spirit? Whenever that point arrives, it's the lust that we are warned against.

If I look at an attractive girl and immediately think, "Man, she looks good", that is natural and not in conflict with the Spirit. What controls our attraction to how a girl LOOKS? I would say that's our sex drive...hence that is sexual desire. What else would it be? If my mind lingers on her and I begin to imagine myself withher and what that would be like, well, that's when sexual desire turns to lust and I'm in direct conflict with the Holiness of the Spirit. That's when we should turn to the Spirit to cleanse our thoughts.

I haven't been a member of this board for very long, but I've noticed it's a great tool for what I described above. If I'm browsing another message board and I'm reading about or seeing pictures of things that can arouse lust, I'll flip over to this board and get into a few topics. I notice that, without fail, I very quickly forget about what I saw or read on the other board.

The hardest part is tearing my mind away from the object of lust, initially.

When I did struggle with that and I did, I would picture Jesus ripping through the thought in all his glory and the thought was gone.

Lefty
Aug 12th 2009, 11:16 PM
When I did struggle with that and I did, I would picture Jesus ripping through the though in all his glory and the though was gone.

That's a good thought. Though we don't know from reading the Bible, it's obvious that Christ as a single man surrounded by people every day saw a lot of attractive women, a lot of curves and a lot of skin, so we can be sure he knows exactly what our struggle is like, yet he mastered his thoughts by keeping his mind on heaven, and so can we. He's pulling for us.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77