PDA

View Full Version : Man's day's = 120 years?

TrustingFollower
Aug 13th 2009, 07:15 PM
From reading Genesis 6:3 I always assumed that this was where God said we as mankind would not live past 120 years old. Then I came to read Numbers and found in 33:39 a contradiction to what I thought. I will post both verses below.

Genesis 6

3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

Numbers 33

39 Aaron was one hundred twenty-three years old when he died on Mount Hor.

Please help me figure out what God was telling us in Genesis 6:3. I know that God is not able to lie so it is obvious that I have interpreted the Genesis verse wrong. What is God teaching us by saying what he did in Genesis 6:3?

jayne
Aug 13th 2009, 07:45 PM
Here's the exact phrase.

Genesis 6:3

"And the LORD said, 'My Spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he is also flesh: yet his days shall be 120 years'"

It's found smack in the middle of a passage telling how evil mankind had became. Two more verse over we see that man's heart was think of evil "continually". And God GRIEVED over this the Bible says.

Your verse in question has nothing to do with how short or how long we live, but with how many years were left after God said this until the Flood came.

The verse says - "yet his days shall be 120 years". If this is talking about our ages, ALL of us would live to be exactly 120 years. It doesn't say that man's age will be limited at 120 years because it doesn't mention limitations and it's not talking about age.

Lots and lots of people AFTER the Flood lived way past 120.

Arphaxad - 438
Salah - 433
Eber - 464
Peleg - 229
Reu - 229
Serug - 230
Nahor - 148
Terah - 205
Abraham - 175
Isaac - 180
Jacob - 147
Joseph - 110
You see, none of those patriarchs who lived after the Flood lived to be 120.

Another way to say Genesis 6:3 is this:

"My Spirit is not going to put up with (or fight) these people much longer, because they are only flesh. They've got 120 years left (and then the Flood).

And guess what.....

There was 120 years between that time and the Great Flood.

David Taylor
Aug 13th 2009, 07:45 PM
120 yrs as a general rule of thumb...not a unbreakable acception.

Prior to the flood, the limit was 969....(that we know of)....so God is saying that after the flood, (which is what chapter 6 is introducing), the lifespan will be severally curtailed.

969 to 120 is a pretty big change.

However that being said, it seems to have been a gradual change.

The post-flood babies still lived way over 120.

11:12 And Arphaxad lived 438 yrs. (Shem's boy)
11:14 And Salah lived 433 yrs.
11:16 And Eber lived 464 yrs.
11:18 And Peleg lived 239 yrs.
11:20 And Reu lived 239 yrs.
11:22 And Serug lived 230 yrs.
11:24 And Nahor lived 148 yrs.
11:26 And Terah lived 275 yrs.
25:7 And Abraham lived 175 yrs.
25:17 And Ishamel lived 137 yrs.
35:28 And Isaac lived 180 yrs.
47:28 And Jacob lived 147 yrs. (Esau unstated)
50:26 And Joseph lived 110 yrs.

Beckrl
Aug 13th 2009, 07:51 PM
For what every reason I thought it to mean man was a reference to Adam. But Adam lived 930 years.

Then I thought it to mean the time of Noah to the flood, but that would only be 100 years. I still believe it has to do with Noah and the flood. That would mean the God appointed a day that he would no longer allow man to continue in that state. Some were is that 120 years. Maybe before Noah beginning on the art.

Beck

jayne
Aug 13th 2009, 08:13 PM
Chapter 5 ends with Noah being 500 years old. Noah and his family got on the ark when he was 600 years old.

That's 100 years. Where's the other 20?

Genesis 6:1 is not a chronological continuation of the day after Genesis 5, but in the same time frame. Why?

Here's my interpretation. Chapter 5 is a listing of the descendants of Adam. Then chapter 6 is a discussion of God's plan about what to do with them because they had become so evil. Two different things.

We don't know the exact chronology of when God proclaimed that man only had 120 years left. Did God make this proclamation chronologically when Noah was EXACTLY 500 years old? I don't think so. Chapter 5 just a genealogy. But it was in the same time frame and could have very well been 20 years earlier.

Genesis gives you information in chunks. And sometimes those chunks overlap each other or are in a backwards chronological order.

For example.

Genesis 10 and 11 are backwards chronologically speaking or at the very least they overlap greatly. Genesis 10 tell you about all of Noah's descendandants and their specific languages. Genesis 11 gives a flashback and tells you how each tribe GOT those languages.

In the detailed stories of the patriarchs and their families, some chapters overlap each other just as in ANY complicated story in a novel would do.

I believe that God said Genesis 6:3 to HIMSELF (the Trinity) sometime before Noah completed his family. And Noah was 500 when he got the news.

Genesis 5 complete the genealogy.

Genesis 6 begins with God's proclamation. NOT NECESSARILY precisely at Noah's 500th year, but in that time frame. As I said earlier, Genesis 6:1 is not a chronological continuation of the day after Genesis 5, but in the same time frame.

I have no problem with their being 120 years between God's proclamation and the Flood.

I do have a problem with the interpretation of Genesis 6:3 as having to do with people's ages or a limitation on people's ages.

TrustingFollower
Aug 14th 2009, 12:11 AM
Chapter 5 ends with Noah being 500 years old. Noah and his family got on the ark when he was 600 years old.

Genesis 6:1 is not a chronological continuation of the day after Genesis 5, but in the same time frame. Why?

Here's my interpretation. Chapter 5 is a listing of the descendants of Adam. Then chapter 6 is a discussion of God's plan about what to do with them because they had become so evil. Two different things.

We don't know the exact chronology of when God proclaimed that man only had 120 years left. Did God make this proclamation chronologically when Noah was EXACTLY 500 years old? I don't think so. Chapter 5 just a genealogy. But it was in the same time frame and could have very well been 20 years earlier.

Genesis gives you information in chunks. And sometimes those chunks overlap each other or are in a backwards chronological order.

For example.

Genesis 10 and 11 are backwards chronologically speaking or at the very least they overlap greatly. Genesis 10 tell you about all of Noah's descendandants and their specific languages. Genesis 11 gives a flashback and tells you how each tribe GOT those languages.

In the detailed stories of the patriarchs and their families, some chapters overlap each other just as in ANY complicated story in a novel would do.

I believe that God said Genesis 6:3 to HIMSELF (the Trinity) sometime before Noah completed his family. And Noah was 500 when he got the news.

Genesis 6 begins with God's proclamation. NOT NECESSARILY precisely at Noah's 500th year, but in that time frame. As I said earlier, Genesis 6:1 is not a chronological continuation of the day after Genesis 5, but in the same time frame.

I have no problem with their being 120 years between God's proclamation and the Flood.

I do have a problem with the interpretation of Genesis 6:3 as having to do with people's ages or a limitation on people's ages.
While I find this interesting I also think you are making assumptions too. You are making the assumption that Noah got the command to build the ark when he was 500 years old, but the bible actually says Noah was 500 years old when he became the father of Shem, Ham and Japheth.

Genesis 5

32 śNoah was five hundred years old, and Noah became the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

This is certainly something I will have to study more about. It makes no sense for the proclamation with the way things are showing right now. I thank you for the contribution and this certainly gives me more to look into, but like I said earlier it only says Noah became a father then.

jayne
Aug 14th 2009, 01:01 AM
Well, I know better than to be bullheaded and say that I am always right because, I'm not. :D So I won't argue the point.

It does repeat, however, in Genesis 6:9 that Noah had begotten Shem, Ham, and Japeth (almost word for word of the end of chapter 5) just before God gives the command to build the ark.

This isn't an issue that I would fight and die over and it isn't part of my doctrine. It's just how I interpret it.

And if I'm wrong - then I'm wrong. :hmm:

Denny606
Aug 14th 2009, 01:10 AM
This amount of time we are talking about is ,to me ,one of those things we can not ,using scripture only, accurately tell how many years Noah was in the building of the Ark,without going outside the Bible and using historical accounts which may ore not be accurate.Like one of the previous posts says ,the time frames given between,Noah's sons being born and the flood coming are not in order and are insufficient information of when, what happened.I have tried to figure it using the book of Genesis and gave up,and resigned it to the fact there are some things I will never know,while here on earth and truthfully they are not really required to obtain salvation.So I really have a few questions about other stuff that I can find the answers to and find more every day I don't know and try to learn what I can every day.But it does amaze me some of the explanations I see on here and know are blatantly wrong and see people trying to show some one their error and then their heels dig in and they won't budge from there position if 500 posts with scripture to back them proves them wrong.
If you look around when everyone is marching and everybody is out of step but you ,it might be you.I didn't mean to hijack but guess I did, sorry about that.

billy-brown 2
Aug 14th 2009, 01:11 AM
Here's the exact phrase.

It's found smack in the middle of a passage telling how evil mankind had became. Two more verse over we see that man's heart was think of evil "continually". And God GRIEVED over this the Bible says.

Your verse in question has nothing to do with how short or how long we live, but with how many years were left after God said this until the Flood came.

The verse says - "yet his days shall be 120 years". If this is talking about our ages, ALL of us would live to be exactly 120 years. It doesn't say that man's age will be limited at 120 years because it doesn't mention limitations and it's not talking about age.

Lots and lots of people AFTER the Flood lived way past 120.

Arphaxad - 438
Salah - 433
Eber - 464
Peleg - 229
Reu - 229
Serug - 230
Nahor - 148
Terah - 205
Abraham - 175
Isaac - 180
Jacob - 147
Joseph - 110

You see, none of those patriarchs who lived after the Flood lived to be 120.

Another way to say Genesis 6:3 is this:

"My Spirit is not going to put up with (or fight) these people much longer, because they are only flesh. They've got 120 years left (and then the Flood).

And guess what.....

There was 120 years between that time and the Great Flood.

This post makes sense to me . . .

:)

TrustingFollower
Aug 14th 2009, 01:15 AM
Well, I know better than to be bullheaded and say that I am always right because, I'm not. :D So I won't argue the point.

It does repeat, however, in Genesis 6:9 that Noah had begotten Shem, Ham, and Japeth (almost word for word of the end of chapter 5) just before God gives the command to build the ark.

This isn't an issue that I would fight and die over and it isn't part of my doctrine. It's just how I interpret it.

And if I'm wrong - then I'm wrong. :hmm:
I am in the same boat as you, this is not something that affects any doctrine and I surely would not fight over this either. I find it interesting and will study further. You may be right after all, I don't know and it maybe something I never will know the answer to. I just think there must be something in scripture that explains why people lived so much longer in the old days than we live now. So if you have any more incite into this I am all ears, I am always open to learning something new.

holyrokker
Aug 14th 2009, 01:20 AM

For example.

Excellent post! Thank you.

Brother Mark
Aug 14th 2009, 01:45 AM
I believe that God told Enoch of the coming flood when Methuselah was born. Methuselah means something along the lines of "When he dies, it will come". Enoch began walking with God after getting this word.

Methuselah was Noah's grandfather. So it is very likely that Noah was aware of the warning God had given. God clarified the time line for the warning later in Gen. 6.

Gen. 5 is simply a lineage. There is a clear break between Gen. 5 and Gen. 6. In Gen. 6:1-8 we have God speaking to Noah telling him about 120 years, and God also regretting he made man. In Gen. 6:9-11, it seems to suggest that Noah fathered his children AFTER the Lord had spoken to him in Genesis 6:1-8. Therefore, the 120 years is most likely the time when the flood was going to come. From the time God spoke to Noah, till the flood occurred, was 120 years.

So Noah heard God before his kids were born and he preached to them what he heard. They believed on got on the ark with their father. 120 years after Noah heard God, the flood came.

That's my take on it.

Blessings,

Mark

jayne
Aug 14th 2009, 02:14 AM
I just think there must be something in scripture that explains why people lived so much longer in the old days than we live now. So if you have any more incite into this I am all ears, I am always open to learning something new.

There are two schools of thought on that from Christians who study science.

This link below tells you both of them in the 2nd and the 3rd paragraphs. I tend to combine the two schools of thought together and that's what I teach, as a possible Biblical answer, when I teach Bible classes to my 6th grade.

There are also those who do not subscribe to these ideas and have different viewpoints.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Genesis-long-lives.html

Genesis 1:6-7 (http://bible.logos.com/passage/niv/Genesis%201.6-7) mentions the water above the expanse, a canopy of water that surrounded the earth. Such a water canopy would have created a greenhouse effect and would have blocked much of the radiation that now hits the earth. This would have resulted in ideal living conditions. Genesis 7:11 (http://bible.logos.com/passage/niv/Genesis%207.11)indicates that, at the time of the flood, the water canopy was poured out on the earth, ending the ideal living conditions. Compare the life spans before the flood (Genesis 5:1-32 (http://bible.logos.com/passage/niv/Genesis%205.1-32)) with those after the flood (Genesis 11:10-32 (http://bible.logos.com/passage/niv/Genesis%2011.10-32)). Immediately after the flood, the ages decreased dramatically.

Another consideration is that in the first few generations after creation, the human genetic code had developed few defects. Adam and Eve were created perfect. They were surely highly resistant to disease and illness. Their descendants would have inherited these advantages, albeit to lesser degrees. Over time, as a result of sin, the human genetic code became increasingly corrupted, and human beings became more and more susceptible to death and disease. This would also have resulted in drastically reduced lifespans.

That canopy or "super clouds" as I call them would have acted as a "super filter" blocking out much damaging radiation. And the earth's environment, we know for a fact, has changed drastically since the Flood. Also, it would have acted as sort of a hyperbaric chamber, keeping the gases in the atmosphere at a greater pressure (not a lot greater).

The greater pressure of carbon dioxide, the larger the plants grew. And the larger the plants grew, the larger the planter-eaters grew and so on....

Remember, all living animals and humans were vegetarians until after the Flood. Perhaps with all of the excess of large plants, they were never hungry!

And the greater the pressure of oxygen, the more instrumental that was for animals and humans to live longer lives as it kept their skin and bodies healthier.

And here's another answer from that same site about the 120 years.

http://www.gotquestions.org/age-limit.html

Joe King
Aug 14th 2009, 02:48 AM
Just because someone lives to 123 years old, doesn't mean that God's word is wrong. I don't see any 130 year olds, do you?

Joe King
Aug 14th 2009, 02:56 AM
Remember, all living animals and humans were vegetarians until after the Flood. Perhaps with all of the excess of large plants, they were never hungry!

And the greater the pressure of oxygen, the more instrumental that was for animals and humans to live longer lives as it kept their skin and bodies healthier.

And here's another answer from that same site about the 120 years.

http://www.gotquestions.org/age-limit.html

How do you come up with that conclusion?

TrustingFollower
Aug 14th 2009, 02:58 AM
Thanks Jayne, very interesting site and helpful answer to my question.

TrustingFollower
Aug 14th 2009, 03:06 AM
I agree that all were vegetarians until after the flood. God gave all the green plants for food for all, but in Genesis 9:3 is where God gave every moving thing as food just as He had give the green plants.

Genesis 9

3 "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant.

This is the first record of God ever allowing for the eating of meat in the bible.

jayne
Aug 14th 2009, 03:31 AM

I said that this was a possible Biblical answer. I think it's possible because of the following verses.

Genesis 1:29-30 says that God originally gave both humans and animals only plants to eat.

29And God said, See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the land and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. 30And to all the animals on the earth and to every bird of the air and to everything that creeps on the ground--to everything in which there is the breath of life--I have given every green plant for food. And it was so.

Then, in Genesis 9:1-5 , God says that He will make animals afraid of people and that He will deliver them to us. He told Noah that they could eat meat. He said just as He had made the rule about the green plants for food, now He said that they could eat meat, but not with the blood still in it. He said that He would require an accounting even from the animals the taking of the life of a human.

(1) AND GOD pronounced a blessing upon Noah and his sons and said to them, Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth.

(2) And the fear of you and the dread and terror of you shall be upon every beast of the land, every bird of the air, all that creeps upon the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are delivered into your hand.
(3) Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and as I gave you the green vegetables and plants, I give you everything.
(4) But you shall not eat flesh with the life of it, which is its blood. (5) And surely for your lifeblood I will require an accounting; from every beast I will require it; and from man, from every man [who spills another's lifeblood] I will require a reckoning.

We know that plants from before the Flood were massive, abundant, and mostly tropical. We have fossils of them. A water canopy, keeping oxygen and CO2 pressurized, could have accounted for that.

We also know that many of the initial plant-eaters were also huge. And after the Flood, when vegetarianism was extended to meat-eating, the initial meat-eaters (who were around before the Flood, but not eating meat) were also huge. We have fossils.

Just as mankind began to not live as long, both plants AND animals began to decrease in size, theorists claim due in part to extreme climate changes after the devastating effects of the Flood.

I'm not presenting a doctoral dissertation. :lol: Just my understanding based on science and scripture.

And as I said, many do not hold to the same ideas as mine. That's OK.

wenlock
Aug 14th 2009, 08:39 PM
From reading Genesis 6:3 I always assumed that this was where God said we as mankind would not live past 120 years old. Then I came to read Numbers and found in 33:39 a contradiction to what I thought. I will post both verses below.

Genesis 6

3 Then the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."
'Now it came about that men began to multiply over the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them. These sons of God saw that girls were beautiful, and they took them as wives as they chose. So then the Lord said, "My Spirit will not contend with man indefinitely, because in his waywardness he is corrupt. He has a hundred and twenty more years remaining." Arrogant men were on the earth in those days - and also afterwards - when these sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the tyrants of old, men of reputation. The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The Lord was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.' Genesis 6:1-6

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77