PDA

View Full Version : Hezekiah Terminal Illness

Giddy
Aug 19th 2009, 02:32 AM
Praise the Lord!

Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus,

I'm in the middle of preparing a sermon for this Sunday on Hezekiah life (II Kings 18-20) when a question strike my mind.

Why was Hezekiah given this terminal illness (II Kings 20) eventhough eventually God heals him? What terrible things has he done in the past to be punished so severely?

Any enlightening on this matter will strengthened my sermon

God Bless you all

Giddy:pray:

jayne
Aug 19th 2009, 03:14 AM
I don't really see where God is punishing Hezekiah. Terminal illnesses aren't necessarily God's punishments. They just happen. This is one of my favorite passages although it's very tragic as to his attitude after he was healed (to me, anyway). The Bible just says that he got sick to the point of death and that Isaiah told him that God wanted him to get his affairs in order because he was going to die.

I see this as God permitting this illness to happen, not striking him down as a punishment with it. It just happened. And God allowed it.

Not everyone gets to get their affairs in order before they die. God granted him that courtesy. I see this event as a natural event of death and not God's judgment on Hezekiah.

Moxie
Aug 19th 2009, 03:17 AM
It's my understanding that Hezekiah was considered a good king and that this illness was not a result of his sin. After God healed him, he shows the Babylonians his wealth and as a result of his pride, God allowed the Babylonians to take his wealth from him, but this is a different setting than his illness. I think the point of this story, is that bad things will happen to good people and God can choose to make the outcome better.

Giddy
Aug 21st 2009, 02:26 AM
Thanks Jayne,

I agree that the reason you gave is a possibility but I'm more inclined to see it as a punishment of Hezekiah weaknesses to surrender to Sennacherib king of Assyria (II Kings 18:13-14) instead of surrendering to God as he did in II Kings 19:1, but thanks for the enlightment

However, you did touch on my second question concerning Hezekiah showing off all his wealth to the Babylonia ambassador. Why has this become a big sin so that the whole Judah has to be captivated by Babylonia after the next 7 generation after Hezekiah? If it is only because of his pride, I do not think this offended God so much that the whole Judah needs to be punished?
I woud appreciate so much your view.

GBU
Giddy

Giddy
Aug 21st 2009, 02:32 AM
Hi Moxie,

Thanks for replying. You can also read my reply to Jayne which also concerns the second issue about pride as you have mentioned.
I hope you don't mind sharing your view in more detail about this 2nd issue?

GBU
Giddy

JohnDB
Aug 21st 2009, 02:46 AM
Hezekiah turned to the wall and prayed.

He did like so many simply really don't do...give God their full attention in prayer.

Oh I know sometimes I get down on my knees...but it is tough. My mind starts wandering... Oh God....thank you for today and all the blessings in it..."lookit that spot on the carpet...oooh lets get this over with my knees hurt"
I think you get the idea.

This time Hezekiah prayed with all his attention.

then there is that one other thing.

During that ten year span added to his life Hezekiah fathered Mannassah. One of the worst kings in all of Israel's history. He was the one that committed the Abomination that causes desolation. He too in the end was forgiven due to repentance...but the rest of Israel wasn't for allowing him to do it. (He killed many levites and priests)

SeattleSun
Aug 21st 2009, 03:24 AM
That's a scary thing to attribute sickness to sin. I mean a repentant believer's sin. I think its referred to as the curse.

Luke 13:4 "Or do you suppose that those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them were worse culprits than all the men who live in Jerusalem?

Hezekiah repented, he still got sick. We'll all get sick, and some of us are sick now. Some of us are dying from illness as we speak.

All men [and women] are appointed to die once. In my Father's arms I'll be. :)

Was Hezekiah's pride worse than mine or your's? Rhetorically asking. :)

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77