PDA

View Full Version : Stairway to Heaven

Jeffinator
Sep 10th 2009, 05:11 PM
I like Led Zeppelin but never really thought too much about the lyrics to their songs. I found a couple sites though that claim that the songs about "buying your way into heaven" and how the real way to get into heaven is through Jesus Christ. I do know that musicians back in the day did like to use double meaning songs in which the real meaning of the song is hidden. Heres the lyrics with the interpretation I found. Also, this song has been labeled the best song of all time since it came out which is pretty ridiculous. Tell me what you think..

P.S. I put the link for the actual song at the bottom, sometimes its easier to comprehend while listening

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven. (she is tithing)
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for. (The bible is the word of God, with the bible, she can get into Heaven.) Revelation 3:8 (http://www.sunsetwestproductions.com/bible/rev3.htm)
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven. (She is tithing and she she thinks that will get her into Heaven)
There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure (points out the significance of the next line, hint hint)
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings. (parables, which the bible is full of, and the words in this song have two meanings)
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings, (reference to John the Baptist and Jesus)
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiving.
Ooh, it makes me wonder, (think!)
Ooh, it makes me wonder.
There's a feeling I get when I look to the west, (the anointing of the holy spirit's comforting, Christianity is the religion of western civilization)
And my spirit is crying for leaving. (soul crying out to be saved)
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees, (Revelation of Jesus Christ)
And the voices of those who standing looking.
Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.
And it's whispered (Revealed by Jesus) that soon if we all call the tune
Then the piper (Jesus, the one playing the woodwind instrument, the flute, which has a whispering tone) will lead us to reason. (Jesus' second coming, revelation 7:17)
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long (World after tribulation) Revelation 3:12 (http://www.sunsetwestproductions.com/bible/rev3.htm)
And the forests will echo with laughter.
Well I've got some good news! (Gospel is the Greek word for good news)
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen. (God puling the weeds, the tare, reaping...)
Yes, there are two paths you can go by (the Stairway to Heaven or the Highway to Hell), but in the long run,
There's still time to change the road you're on.
Well I hope so! (There is always hope. It is never to late to be saved)
And it makes me wonder.
Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him, (Jesus said I will knock on the door...) Rev 3:20 (http://www.sunsetwestproductions.com/bible/rev3.htm)
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, (the word of Jesus) and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind. (if you want to get to heaven you have to follow the piper, Jesus. Christians are saved by grace, not by their works.)
And as we wind on down the road (Later in life, after a few wrong turns. There is a straight and narrow path to heaven, there is a long and winding road to hell. )
Our shadows taller than our soul. (late in the day (near the end of our life) we cast longer shadows, our soul is nothing with out Jesus)
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold. (Later in life after more and more sin we can still be saved. The new world after the tribulation will be made of gold.)
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last. (if you accept Christ the holy spirit will come into your heart and you will be saved.)
When all are one and one is all (in Heaven we are one with God)
To be a rock and not to roll. (Jesus is the Rock, be strong with his foundation)
And she's buying a stairway to heaven................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcL---4xQYA

Athanasius
Sep 10th 2009, 07:09 PM
I'm going to have to not buy into that view of the song. People viewing it as a 'hidden' evangelistic song about Jesus... Is a little scary.
Those lyrics are wrong anyway... For instance, "Well I've got some good news! (Gospel is the Greek word for good news)" is not a line in the song...

Steve M
Sep 10th 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm going to have to not buy into that view of the song. People viewing it as a 'hidden' evangelistic song about Jesus... Is a little scary.
Those lyrics are wrong anyway... For instance, "Well I've got some good news! (Gospel is the Greek word for good news)" is not a line in the song...
If you read anything much by Robert Plant, you find out that while he was definitely critical of materialism (and the song itself resonates deeply with my ears because of that) he's also what you would call spiritual, or mystical. I.e., he is speaking of spiritual things in vague terms, but in the same vein in which he wrote of Valhalla and Middle Earth.

Also, considering the backmasking accusations that hover over Stairway... :lol: It's an ironic song to canonize after the fact.

JohnDB
Sep 10th 2009, 07:48 PM
OK...you fudged the words a little but...

Whatever floats your boat.

Backmasking is a trick of the mind and ear.

Someone tells you what to hear and when it is played you will hear it unless it isn't clearly different. But the stuff I heard wasn't clear and you couldn't tell what it was saying.....because the record was being played backwards.

For the Corrupt everything is corrupt but for the redeemed everything is acceptable. (or something like that)

but...as a counter to that.

Everything is permissable but not everything is beneficial.

thepenitent
Sep 10th 2009, 07:57 PM
Sounds like you don't know that the founder of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page, was a Satanist and devout follower of famous Satanist Aliester Crowley. Crowley was a prolific 19th Century writer of Satanist philosophy. I believe that Jimmy Page even bought Crowley's house.

Jeffinator
Sep 10th 2009, 08:09 PM
Sounds like you don't know that the founder of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page, was a Satanist and devout follower of famous Satanist Aliester Crowley. Crowley was a prolific 19th Century writer of Satanist philosophy. I believe that Jimmy Page even bought Crowley's house.

Actually I didnt, I only heard a few songs and came across this interpretation, but then why does he write about "the stairway to heaven" if hes a satanist? I mean I looked around at all the different interpretations of the song and everyone seems to agree it was about a woman trying to buy her way into heaven. Although true the song is a bit vague.

Athanasius
Sep 10th 2009, 08:21 PM
If you read anything much by Robert Plant, you find out that while he was definitely critical of materialism (and the song itself resonates deeply with my ears because of that) he's also what you would call spiritual, or mystical. I.e., he is speaking of spiritual things in vague terms, but in the same vein in which he wrote of Valhalla and Middle Earth.

Also, considering the backmasking accusations that hover over Stairway... :lol: It's an ironic song to canonize after the fact.

Oh, I definitely agree Plant and Page were very spiritual (with the latter being widely reported to be quite the Satanist). I just don't think this is a clever way of talking about Jesus.

Jeffinator
Sep 10th 2009, 08:24 PM
OK...you fudged the words a little but...

Whatever floats your boat.

Someone tells you what to hear and when it is played you will hear it unless it isn't clearly different. But the stuff I heard wasn't clear and you couldn't tell what it was saying.....because the record was being played backwards.

For the Corrupt everything is corrupt but for the redeemed everything is acceptable. (or something like that)

but...as a counter to that.

Everything is permissable but not everything is beneficial.

Thats true, I did hear a clip debunking the backmasking. The guy in the clip sung the part of the song that is controversial and played it backwards. It sounded pretty much like the "satan" lyrics its supposed to have, point being its a trick of the ear and was not put on their on purpose. I even heard something similar if you play back a Britney Spears CD :lol:. So I believe that back masking stuff is not true.

Steve M
Sep 10th 2009, 08:30 PM
Oh, I definitely agree Plant and Page were very spiritual (with the latter being widely reported to be quite the Satanist). I just don't think this is a clever way of talking about Jesus.
What I was trying to highlight is that the vague spiritual themes of the song can be stretched to accomodate just about any viewpoint. Can I make it about God? Sure. Can I make it about Satan? Not as hard as you might think. Can I make it about Marilyn Monroe? A lot easier than making it about God or Satan.

And making it about Hobbits going to Isengard? Easier still.

JohnDB
Sep 10th 2009, 09:27 PM
My personal opinion on the song is that it was a very pretty song.

very well sung.

But all about the Whore of Babylong trying to purchase her way into Heaven with the earnings from her illicit activities. (an abomination on both accounts)

and that actually fits with the lyrics and the writers of the song moreso than what you take it to mean.

thepenitent
Sep 11th 2009, 02:41 AM
Actually I didnt, I only heard a few songs and came across this interpretation, but then why does he write about "the stairway to heaven" if hes a satanist? I mean I looked around at all the different interpretations of the song and everyone seems to agree it was about a woman trying to buy her way into heaven. Although true the song is a bit vague.

Plant has stated in an interview that he wrote the lyrics on the spot while listening to Page work out the opening chords. He just wrote down the words as they came into his head, mostly just trying to make them rhyme. I wouldn't try to read to much into them.

Lefty
Sep 11th 2009, 04:01 AM
Plant has stated in an interview that he wrote the lyrics on the spot while listening to Page work out the opening chords. He just wrote down the words as they came into his head, mostly just trying to make them rhyme. I wouldn't try to read to much into them.

A loose, almost free association "poetical" lyric writing evolved in the 60's mainly through the influence of Dylan, who wrote some good poetry, and was well received because it lifted pop/rock songs as an art form. A bunch of others including the Beatles took it up, not as well though, some were just stupid druggie nonsense, and off it went as a musical style. Songs didn't need to make sense anymore and it was all about "feeling" not thinking. That sentiment peaked in the 70's. Listen to Yes sometime. You'll have a hard time finding a single coherent thought in the lyrics. I agree there's not anything to read in Stairway. The music is brilliant, but the words are gobbltigook.

jayne
Sep 11th 2009, 04:54 AM
A loose, almost free association "poetical" lyric writing evolved in the 60's mainly through the influence of Dylan, who wrote some good poetry, and was well received because it lifted pop/rock songs as an art form. A bunch of others including the Beatles took it up, not as well though, some were just stupid druggie nonsense, and off it went as a musical style. Songs didn't need to make sense anymore and it was all about "feeling" not thinking. That sentiment peaked in the 70's. Listen to Yes sometime. You'll have a hard time finding a single coherent thought in the lyrics. I agree there's not anything to read in Stairway. The music is brilliant, but the words are gobbltigook.

Yes, I agree. Good post.

JohnDB
Sep 11th 2009, 01:22 PM
But the titile of the song comes from scripture.

It is one of the symbols of Jesus as relayed in a dream to Jacob.

Jesus can't be bought. He can't be bargained with. We have nothing to offer of any value.

And the woman buying the stairway is the most troubling line in all of the words of the song.

The Mighty Sword
Sep 11th 2009, 02:37 PM

I listened to that song as well and what I get out of it is a vain woman being lied to by satan, no one can by the stairway to heaven, that's like saying i want to buy Jesus, and if there was a stairway and she bought it would she put a toll both there??? sounds silly huh? Did you ever ask yourself why was it a woman (not woman bashing here) buying it and not a man, sorta like Eve. That's what I get out of that song. " And the piper will lead us to reason" And I don't think he's talking about Jesus, A piper leads rats, and we're human! :)

Steve M
Sep 11th 2009, 02:38 PM

Jesus can't be bought. He can't be bargained with. We have nothing to offer of any value.

And the woman buying the stairway is the most troubling line in all of the words of the song.
I will repeat, very slowly this time;

The writer of the song is well-known for borrowing from spiritual sounding sources, including Viking mythology, Welsh mythology, and the Lord of the Rings. He has indeed borrowed the titular stairway from the Bible; but this is to emphasize the sounds of spirituality, not to make any great point. THE LYRICS CAN BE AS EASILY INTERPRETED AS SATANIC AS THEY CAN BE INTERPRETED AS JUDEO-CHRISTIAN.

Great song? Yeah.

But I wouldn't play it in Church, know what I mean?

The Mighty Sword
Sep 11th 2009, 02:40 PM

Satan does use scripture. :)

markedward
Sep 11th 2009, 07:45 PM
what i was trying to highlight is that the vague spiritual themes of the song can be stretched to accomodate just about any viewpoint. Can i make it about god? Sure. Can i make it about satan? Not as hard as you might think. Can i make it about marilyn monroe? A lot easier than making it about god or satan.

And making it about hobbits going to isengard? Easier still.They're taking the hobbits to Isengard! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY)

(It's a link leading to a video about the exact same topic as the text that the link is comprised of...)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY)

Dani H
Sep 12th 2009, 04:52 AM
I'd like the last 2 minutes of my life back please. :)

Luke34
Sep 12th 2009, 06:45 AM
Aw mannn, I was hoping for another backmasking debate. Because, you know, those are so much fun.

corijoysdad
Sep 12th 2009, 07:55 AM
Aw mannn, I was hoping for another backmasking debate. Because, you know, those are so much fun.

I'm a little disappointed myself. Whenever someone mentions Stairway to Heaven or Hotel California, I always look forward to hearing about how when you play them backwards they tell a tale of selling one's soul to the devil. Either that, or you can sing it to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

Steve M
Sep 14th 2009, 12:40 PM
True, but it does lend irony. From now on I'll tell people that when you play it forward the message is Christian, and praises Christ, but when you play it backwards, it's Satanic. Therefore playing it backwards is evil. And probably is some kind of direct attack on poor Mister Plant. Aren't you ashamed of yourself for going to that one flash site and playing it backwards fifteen times to see if you could hear the message?

kurlytop
Sep 16th 2009, 04:54 AM

no offense to anyone, but i hate this theory...songs are
not meant to be heard backwards.

seriously, all songs may "say" things or messages backwards.
maybe even christian songs...who knows...? God does...so,
i'll leave it to Him.

i happen to like the song by the way.

Luke34
Sep 17th 2009, 01:18 AM
no offense to anyone, but i hate this theory...songs are
not meant to be heard backwards.I think that's why (s)he said it was a "trick of the ear."

farmdirt
Sep 20th 2009, 06:26 AM
Just my 2 cents, Zep's stairway to H. does not lead to Heaven. I have listened to it enough times to know.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77