PDA

View Full Version : Living past 120 years?

flxjones
Sep 17th 2009, 02:31 AM
Is it true that the bible states that no one after moses will live more than 120 years. if so, where? i am positive that i'v read it somewhere in the bibile; and no, im not confusing it with the 120 years to repent before He sent the flood to destroy them. thanks!

nzyr
Sep 17th 2009, 02:39 AM
I don't think I've seen that anywhere in the bible. Maybe you're thinking of this scripture:

The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. (Psalms 90:10)

crossnote
Sep 17th 2009, 03:47 AM
If you notice shortly after the flood the age expectancy dropped quickly from 700-900 yrs. right down to around 120 yrs. and then seemed to take a smaller drop after Abraham.

Desperaux
Sep 17th 2009, 06:35 AM
Genesis 6:3
Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.”

In Psalm 90:10a we read of 70 years as a promise to us...
Seventy years are given to us!
Some even live to eighty...

nzyr
Sep 17th 2009, 08:39 AM
Genesis 6:3
Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.”

What bible translation does that come from?

I believe a hundred and twenty years in Genesis 6:3 was when God was to cause the flood.

markedward
Sep 17th 2009, 03:45 PM
Genesis says Noah was 500, and had all three sons. Then we see God say that the time of their life shall not be more than 120 years. Then we are told God warned Noah of the flood, and in Noah's 600th year of life the flood came. We're even told of Shem's age after the flood: two years after the flood, Shem was 100... which would mean Shem was born when Noah was 502. Yet, God tells Noah to find his sons a wife each, so presumably God waited to tell Noah about the flood when his sons had become adults... which would be when Noah was about 520-525, at least. If God told Noah about the flood when he was 500, then the flood happened only 100 years later (when Noah was 600). Or, if God told Noah about the flood when he was about 520-525, the flood would have happened only 75-80 years later. 120 years just doesn't fit into how the book presents the events chronologically.

It seems more reasonable to me that (a) God says man's life shall not be more than 120 years, then (b) following the flood, man's lifespan drastically shortens until, lo and behold, the oldest people live to an average of 120.

Desperaux
Sep 17th 2009, 04:01 PM
What bible translation does that come from?

I believe a hundred and twenty years in Genesis 6:3 was when God was to cause the flood.

I like to use the NLV fro clarity in these types of questions. Actually, all the versions I looked at are pretty straightforward that man was given a lower life span of 120 years in that verse. God was talking about man being flesh and that His spirit would not abide in them forever--that they would die younger.

JohnDB
Sep 17th 2009, 10:44 PM
Of the lifespans and geneology it is interesting to note that Shem (Noah's son) outlived Abraham by roughly 75 years.

There might also be typology being used in that section too.

12 being the number for ordinal government and 10 being the number of fingers (hands) and the number of Commandments God gave us.

nzyr
Sep 18th 2009, 02:13 AM
I like to use the NLV fro clarity in these types of questions. Actually, all the versions I looked at are pretty straightforward that man was given a lower life span of 120 years in that verse. God was talking about man being flesh and that His spirit would not abide in them forever--that they would die younger.I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years.

Desperaux
Sep 18th 2009, 03:20 AM
I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years.

No version of Scripture even hints at that. To me that is a human construct, based on nothing at all.

Kylism
Sep 18th 2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks Desperaux, :idea:

I like it when I read something that makes me think. I even went into the Hebrew language too.

For the last 10 years I have believed it meant man will not live past 120 years.

Now I agree with "I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years."

Good to be open.

Kylism :spin:

Desperaux
Sep 18th 2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks Desperaux, :idea:

I like it when I read something that makes me think. I even went into the Hebrew language too.

For the last 10 years I have believed it meant man will not live past 120 years.

Now I agree with "I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years."

Good to be open.

Kylism :spin:

Yes it is! Thanks--I am seeing it now!

Genesis 6:1-3
1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

I do see the point of others, yes I do! I can see how God could easily be saying, "There is yet 120 years for man to live before I cut them off."

On the other hand, I still lean toward the Lord cutting their lifespan back, as he is remarking on their mortality.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77