PDA

View Full Version : Did Jesus Smile?

waslostnowfound
Sep 26th 2009, 09:03 AM
I have often wondered why there is a seemingly obvious absence of Jesus smiling or laughing in the Bible. Although there are instances of almost every other emotion displayed by Him, there doesn't seem to be any passage that show happiness or laughter in His demeanor.

Was this deliberate? Am I missing something?

I sometimes think that maybe He understood His mission and with it in mind always displayed the seriousness of the situation. But then I find it hard to imagine that He could captivate thousands of people without using brevity and preaching the joys and peacefulness which would come through following Him.

I am looking forward to your responses.

God Bless

Craig

9Marksfan
Sep 26th 2009, 11:38 AM
Is it human to smile? Of course. Therefore Jesus smiled.

I can't imagine little children running to anyone and being taken in their arms without them smiling.

How can one be joyful and not smile? Jesus rejoiced that God had kept the things of the kingdom from the wise and had revealed them to little children. I'm certain He smiled as He rejoiced - how could He not?

waslostnowfound
Sep 26th 2009, 03:24 PM
I do agree that Jesus had to have smiled. I am just wondering why there seems to be no mention of it in the Gospels. It almost seems to me to be an obvious omission. Every other emotion seems to be specifically recorded.

You often hear Him referred to as the "Man of sorrows" . I just can't help wondering if the focus is deliberately on the seriousness of the job He came to do.

Any ideas??

Craig

-SEEKING-
Sep 26th 2009, 03:32 PM
Well how about, and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone at all, the bible talking about using the bathroom. Whether for bathing, or other things. I think sometimes we get hung up on the details, but most of the time they really are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

notuptome
Sep 26th 2009, 03:43 PM
I do agree that Jesus had to have smiled. I am just wondering why there seems to be no mention of it in the Gospels. It almost seems to me to be an obvious omission. Every other emotion seems to be specifically recorded.

You often hear Him referred to as the "Man of sorrows" . I just can't help wondering if the focus is deliberately on the seriousness of the job He came to do.

Any ideas??

Craig
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down on the right hand of the throne of God.

I suspect that Jesus smiled quite often when He considered all that was to follow. There is great rejoicing in heaven when a soul is saved and I imagine Jesus was able to see the fruit of His suffering as great joy.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

blessedmommyuv3
Sep 26th 2009, 04:07 PM
Psalm 103
8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.

Jesus, being God incarnate, would exhibit His characteristics.
I cannot imagine someone who is abounding in love not smiling.

We also know from the scriptures that Jesus had great love for His disciples,
especially John; and also for Mary, Martha, and Lazarus.
I know that when I am with those I love most dearly here on Earth, my husband, our children, family and friends, I am most filled with joy, and cannot help but smile and laugh.

In Christ,
Jen

ZAB
Sep 26th 2009, 04:17 PM
I have often wondered why there is a seemingly obvious absence of Jesus smiling or laughing in the Bible. Although there are instances of almost every other emotion displayed by Him, there doesn't seem to be any passage that show happiness or laughter in His demeanor.

I sometimes think that maybe He understood His mission and with it in mind always displayed the seriousness of the situation. But then I find it hard to imagine that He could captivate thousands of people without using brevity and preaching the joys and peacefulness which would come through following Him.

God Bless

Craig

Jesus was joyous, and therefore "smiled" as a natural human reaction. He smiled, even up to his death!

Heb 12:2 "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Z.

Hawk
Sep 26th 2009, 04:20 PM
Oh by all means did He smile! He came to declare the name of the Father, and if our Father is full of joy and gladness, then so is Jesus.

“In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.”
(Luke 10:21 NKJV)

“You love righteousness and hate wickedness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
(Psalms 45:7 NKJV)

If there's a block in our hearts concerning the joy and gladness that was in Jesus' heart, then we are believing lies from the enemy about who He is!

TrustingFollower
Sep 26th 2009, 04:57 PM
I think most certainly Jesus did smile and laugh. Hebrews shows us that Jesus is the exact representation of God's nature.

Hebrews 1

1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,
2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.
3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

And this verse from Psalms shows God will laugh or has laughed.

Psalms 59

8 But You, O LORD, laugh at them; You scoff at all the nations.

So one can not laugh without smiling and if God laughs then so does Jesus.

timmyb
Sep 26th 2009, 06:39 PM
And he shall see the labor of his soul (you) and be satisfied. Isaiah 53

Equipped_4_Love
Sep 26th 2009, 06:47 PM
Well how about, and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone at all, the bible talking about using the bathroom. Whether for bathing, or other things. I think sometimes we get hung up on the details, but most of the time they really are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I do believe that Jesus smiled, but I also wonder why the gospels seem to have not recorded it. I'm not sure that this is an irrelevant detail.

The gospels don't record any of the other apostles smiling, either. Did Paul smile? He always talks about being filled with joy when thinking about the various churches.

Maybe it's something cultural...I don't know.

daughter
Sep 26th 2009, 06:53 PM

God Bless

Craig
The Bible is not a novel. It doesn't use modern narrative devices to describe action or expression. For example, if you read the Bible, you would not see a description of Abraham laughing, or Paul laughing, or Peter laughing. Can you think of a line in the Bible like, "Isaac smiled fondly as he saw his beautiful wife emerge from the tent." It just doesn't happen. Those sentences, while they help paint a picture, are a product of our modern obsession with appearance. We know Isaac loved his wife, and we can assume that because he was human he smiled at her. We don't need to hear it.

Similarly, there are many passages where I have always assumed that Jesus smiled. For example, the first thing I thought of when you said He never smiled was this: "At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." I read that, and I see Jesus rejoicing in the wisdom, and beauty, and grace of God, and how could He do anything but smile when He uttered those words? As 9Marksfan says, how could children run and be hugged by Him if He just sat there glum and gloomy. How could He have been accused of drunkeness and carousing by the pharisees if they didn't see Him joyful?

Of course He smiled! He's smiling now.

The Bible doesn't need to tell us that, it shows it when it describes His words, His actions, His love.

I hope this helps. :D (Smiling cheesily at you.)

daughter
Sep 26th 2009, 06:56 PM
Oh by all means did He smile! He came to declare the name of the Father, and if our Father is full of joy and gladness, then so is Jesus.

“In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.”
(Luke 10:21 NKJV)

“You love righteousness and hate wickedness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
(Psalms 45:7 NKJV)

If there's a block in our hearts concerning the joy and gladness that was in Jesus' heart, then we are believing lies from the enemy about who He is!
Oh, wow, to quote my son, cool! We got the same verse in our heads when we thought of Jesus smiling! I wonder how that came about... :hmm:

christseeker
Sep 26th 2009, 07:02 PM

God Bless

Craig
It could have been deliberate though I do think that Jesus smiled and such. At the wedding feast I am sure He would be enjoying Himself. my 5 cents (inflation)

waslostnowfound
Sep 26th 2009, 08:25 PM
Thank you all for the great responses!!!

Daughter that makes perfect sense to me about the writing styles and the purpose of the narrative!

Just to make it clear, I have never doubted that He smiled, I was just very interested in the fact there wasn't a definitive statement like:

"Jesus smiled" as compared to "Jesus wept".

Or the description of His agony in the garden. Or His anger at the temple.

I am probably being silly for wondering.

I have very much enjoyed reading your posts!!!

God Bless!!!

Craig

waslostnowfound
Sep 26th 2009, 08:35 PM
It could have been deliberate though I do think that Jesus smiled and such. At the wedding feast I am sure He would be enjoying Himself. my 5 cents (inflation)

It is funny you mentioned the wedding feast!!! I have sometimes thought that Jesus was a little short with His mother!!

John 2:4 Jesus said to her, "Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come."

It is probably the way it is written that throws me off, but doesn't that sound funny?

Craig

christseeker
Sep 26th 2009, 09:56 PM
It is funny you mentioned the wedding feast!!! I have sometimes thought that Jesus was a little short with His mother!!

John 2:4 Jesus said to her, "Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come."

It is probably the way it is written that throws me off, but doesn't that sound funny?

Craig

It does, I always thought it was like He was having a good time and His mom came and told Him to do this and I always thought of His response like that.

In modern parlance I see it this way:

Jesus is enjoying Himself than His mom comes to Him

Mary: "They are running out of Wine"

Jesus: "So, it's not time for me to do anything yet"

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77