PDA

View Full Version : How did they count years before Jesus was born?

The_Doc
Oct 3rd 2009, 01:12 AM
Suppose Jesus was born in 3BC, then what was the year 100 years before that? What about 1000 years before that? Was Adam & Eve born in the year 1? Can someone please explain the year system I'm very confused. And this may seem like a strange question but during what years were the dinosaurs alive I'm very curious.

Dravenhawk
Oct 3rd 2009, 02:31 AM
Usually years were counted by the King or ruler of the realm. For instance Romans would keep track of the years based upon the "ceasar" who ruled during that particular era. Egyptions would keep track of the years based upon a liniage of royal dynasties. Other cultures used the movements of cellestial bodies such as the famous Mayan calendar system. Blocks of time were named in respect for the pagean dieties worshiped by that particular culture.

Dravenhawk

thepenitent
Oct 3rd 2009, 03:45 AM
Suppose Jesus was born in 3BC, then what was the year 100 years before that? What about 1000 years before that? Was Adam & Eve born in the year 1? Can someone please explain the year system I'm very confused. And this may seem like a strange question but during what years were the dinosaurs alive I'm very curious.

Nothing trickey to it. You just assume Jesus' birth as the non-existant year "0" and start counting in either the AD or BC direction. 100 years before Jesus birth is 100 BC, 1000 years is 1000 BC. The year 1 would be either the year before of after Jesus birth. We don't know how far back BC Adam and Eve go - some say to about 6000 BC but there's plenty of controversy over it. Modern science says (I believe) Dinosaurs disappeared about 60 million years ago, which would be about 60 Million BC (give or take a few thousand years) - they had been around about 200 million years.

markedward
Oct 3rd 2009, 04:16 AM
He's asking about how people before Jesus counted their years...

King David didn't consider himself to be living in the year "1000 Before Christ".

As Dravenhawk said, many cultures counted their years according to their current king, or according to a specific event, or according to the founding of a city or kingdom. The Romans counted by their emperor's reign, but they also counted according to the (alleged) year of the founding of the city of Rome. We currently use the abbreviation "AD" for our years, meaning "Anno Domini", or "the Year of our Lord". The Romans used "AUC", or "Anno Urbis Condita", meaning "the Year of the Founding of the City [of Rome]". Since the city was (alleged to have been) founded in what we identify as 753 BC, their year 1000 AUC would have been about 258 AD.

Radagast
Oct 3rd 2009, 07:15 AM
Suppose Jesus was born in 3BC, then what was the year 100 years before that? What about 1000 years before that? Was Adam & Eve born in the year 1? Can someone please explain the year system I'm very confused.

The Romans counted either from the date the Emperor or other ruler took office, or from 753 BC, when they thought Rome was founded. So King Herod died in 4 BC, or the Roman year 750.

Other people in history have counted starting with events they though were important. That is why Christians eventually started counting from the birth of Christ (although we got the starting year wrong).

upsadaisy
Oct 3rd 2009, 07:39 AM

A Hebrew generation is three score years and 10=70 years

Psalm 90 verse 10 sums it up nicely
10 The length of our days is seventy years—
or eighty, if we have the strength;
yet their span [a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+90&version=NIV#fen-NIV-15389a)] is but trouble and sorrow,
for they quickly pass, and we fly away.

Also the same Psalm tells us how God sees time

4 For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

And to look into the age of Dinosaurs ''Answers in Gnesis will tell you all the answers
HERE (http://www.answersingenesis.org/)

SIG
Oct 3rd 2009, 11:21 AM
In Jewish reckoning, this year is 5769. So, counting backwards......

The_Doc
Oct 3rd 2009, 10:37 PM
So did God create Adam and Eve after God killed all the dinosaurs? Why did God create the dinosaurs just to kill them off? Did God want to start over or something?

SIG
Oct 3rd 2009, 11:33 PM
So did God create Adam and Eve after God killed all the dinosaurs? Why did God create the dinosaurs just to kill them off? Did God want to start over or something?

God knows :) .....

upsadaisy
Oct 4th 2009, 03:58 PM
There was no blood shed before creation,It was only shed after Adam and Eve sinned and then an animal was killed and the skin used to cover their shame,

The flood killed off the Dinosaurs read here in http://www.answersingenesis.org/
All the answers are there concerning Dinosaurs

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77