PDA

View Full Version : "on fire for the Lord"

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 02:34 PM
What does that mean?

texastig
Nov 13th 2009, 02:36 PM
That means that a person is active for the Lord.
Thanks,
TT

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 03:18 PM
That means that a person is active for the Lord.
Thanks,
TT

And what does that mean?

texastig
Nov 13th 2009, 03:36 PM
Instead of sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing, we should be out doing the things of the Lord. i.e. prayer, praise, witnessing, ministering, etc...
Thanks,
TT

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 03:38 PM
Instead of sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing, we should be out doing the things of the Lord. i.e. prayer, praise, witnessing, ministering, etc...

Yet churches that do this (and necessarily the people within those churches) are regularly told they are Luke warm and watered down.

Surely there's something more to "on fire for the Lord" than just considerate action for the kingdom.

texastig
Nov 13th 2009, 03:43 PM
Yet churches that do this (and necessarily the people within those churches) are regularly told they are Luke warm and watered down.

Surely there's something more to "on fire for the Lord" than just considerate action for the kingdom.

For me, I'm not involved in an organized religion.
I do all of those things that I posted and it is very
satisfying.
There's Christians that just sit in the pews on Wednesday and Sunday
and then go home.
Thanks,
TT

Dani H
Nov 13th 2009, 04:05 PM
What does that mean?

Nothing, I think. :)

Revelation 3:15+16 (http://bibleforums.org/passage/?search=Revelation+3:16&version=NKJV)
15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

Hebrews 12:29 (http://bibleforums.org/passage/?search=Hebrews+12:29&version=NKJV)
For our God is a consuming fire.

I think people think that Jesus wants us hot. He didn't say that. He only said he wants us cold or hot, and not lukewarm. Meaning we have to decide who we're going to serve, and quit mixing things together to suit ourselves, and by so doing moving further and further away from Him. People who are lukewarm think they're one thing and actually are another. That's how I understand it. God can't deal with us when we think we're okay, but we're really not. He can't deal with us when we think we've "made it" and have no more need of Him. Remember these are people in the Church that Jesus is addressing.

People think God wants us "on fire" and filled with zeal. I personally think that God is our fire, and that it is a work He does as we submit ourselves to His judgment of us and allow Him to clean us up, and not something we stir ourselves up to be.

Having said that, people who are deeply in love with Jesus will automatically do what they can to spread the Gospel and reach others. It can't be helped.

Firefighter
Nov 13th 2009, 04:14 PM
Have you ever seen someone on fire? I have never seen one sit still.;)

JohnDB
Nov 13th 2009, 04:25 PM
Within me,
My personality is such that I can and do get rather excited at times.

When someone pushes just the right button by asking particular question in the right way...that little jack in the box in me comes popping right out and no matter what they used to think of me it now is completely changed by the things that come out of my mouth.

At church and in church circles this isn't considered to be a negative.

But at work, with a bunch of heathens, in the construction world....it can make life difficult at times. I am there to work...and talk about work..and during lunch I talk about play. There has been occasions when I can invite someone over for dinner and let fly....but work isn't the place where this can happen.

I was at a dinner for the men of my sunday school class and someone asked me a question that was the equivalent of pushing the button. I let fly.

He later said to my wife he was astonished. He said my eyes lit up and it was like there was someone else there in front of him instead of the JohnDB that he knew...or thought he knew. He liked it too.

There is coming a day when that fire can be lit and not squelched so much...in fact all that waiting and pent up energy like a bow fitted with an arrow can be let loose. And I am coming....can the world take it when it is allowed full vent?

goykodesh
Nov 13th 2009, 04:25 PM
It most likely depends if it is based on emotion or zeal. One is transient, the other more steadfast.

-SEEKING-
Nov 13th 2009, 04:32 PM
For me, I'm not involved in an organized religion.

What do you mean? Like you don't attend a church service on a regular basis?

Bladers
Nov 13th 2009, 05:06 PM
You wanna know what on Fire for God means?

John 2:15-18
"And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up."

VerticalReality
Nov 13th 2009, 05:18 PM
Yes, usually when someone refers to a person as being "on fire" for the Lord, they are referring to that person's passion/fervency/love . . .

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 05:25 PM
Being on fire for Jesus means that we have His passion in us that moves us to serve Him with all we've got in us!

Jeremiah 20:9
But if I say Ill never mention the Lord
or speak in his name,
his word burns in my heart like a fire.
Its like a fire in my bones!
I am worn out trying to hold it in!
I cant do it!

Jesus tells us it is better to be hot for Him or cold (as in invigorating fresh springs), than it is to be lukewarm, which is nauseating to Him.

Revelation 3:15-16
I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 05:57 PM
Jesus tells us it is better to be hot for Him or cold (as in invigorating fresh springs), than it is to be lukewarm, which is nauseating to Him.

Revelation 3:15-16
I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!

Yes, I fully understand the metaphor of the springs: "be useful". Hot water is good for cleaning and soothing the body. Cold water is good for refreshing the body. Luke warm is good for neither and thus useless.

But I'm not asking about the metaphor of the springs. I'm asking about the specific language "on fire for the Lord". It seems to me that the expressions use connotes substantially more than just being useful.

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 06:00 PM
Yes, I fully understand the metaphor of the springs: "be useful". Hot water is good for cleaning and soothing the body. Cold water is good for refreshing the body. Luke warm is good for neither and thus useless.

But I'm not asking about the metaphor of the springs. I'm asking about the specific language "on fire for the Lord". It seems to me that the expressions use connotes substantially more than just being useful.

In this, I am with the prophet Jeremiah, in the verse I quoted earlier. He was on fire!

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 06:01 PM
In this, I am with the prophet Jeremiah, in the verse I quoted earlier. He was on fire!

And I have no idea what that means.

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 06:19 PM
And I have no idea what that means.

Why is that? Jeremiah was so on fire with passion for God that he couldn't keep quiet. That is the kind of fervor. or holy zeal for God that the Holy Spirit wants to give us.

Isaiah 59:17
He put on righteousness as his body armor
and placed the helmet of salvation on his head.
He clothed himself with a robe of vengeance
and wrapped himself in a cloak of divine passion.

When we put on our spiritual armour, we need to remember to add that cloak of zeal, too.

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 06:26 PM
Why is that? Jeremiah was so on fire with passion for God that he couldn't keep quiet. That is the kind of fervor. or holy zeal for God that the Holy Spirit wants to give us.

Isaiah 59:17
He put on righteousness as his body armor
and placed the helmet of salvation on his head.
He clothed himself with a robe of vengeance
and wrapped himself in a cloak of divine passion.

When we put on our spiritual armour, we need to remember to add that cloak of zeal, too.

Its a word with no meaning for me. Just like the Isaiah passage.
The metaphor of cloak is easy enough to understand... but "divine passion"? What's that?

I assume this is presented because "divine passion" and "on fire for the Lord" are synonymous?

Given the Jeremiah citation, is it a feeling? Is it strictly emotional?

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 06:30 PM
Its a word with no meaning for me. Just like the Isaiah passage.
The metaphor of cloak is easy enough to understand... but "divine passion"? What's that?

I assume this is presented because "divine passion" and "on fire for the Lord" are synonymous?

Given the Jeremiah citation, is it a feeling? Is it strictly emotional?

The passion of God is a a burning desire, and although it is a spiritual thing, it is felt my our emotional selves. We were created with emotions that are meant to be given over to the Lord's control, so if He chooses to fill us up to overflowing with anything of His, and especially His passion, so be it!

It leads to our strength in Him and to the world seeing Him in us, and responding to His call to come.

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 06:31 PM
We were created with emotions that are meant to be given over to the Lord's control

We were?
(15 characters)

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 06:33 PM
We were?
(15 characters)

Yes, we were! Why do you ask? Have you been taught that emotions are bad, and not from God? Do you believe we are created in His image?

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 06:39 PM
Yes, we were! Why do you ask? Have you been taught that emotions are bad, and not from God? Do you believe we are created in His image?

I have not been taught by teachers I trust that emotions are bad. Though plenty of people have suggested that activities producing emotional responses are bad (music, dancing, a finely crafted beer, etc). That's slightly off topic though.

But the question I asked was not about the good/bad of emotions but rather this:

We were created with emotions that are meant to be given over to the Lord's control
I don't recall ever being taught about God giving emotions over to God's control.

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 06:46 PM
I have not been taught by teachers I trust that emotions are bad. Though plenty of people have suggested that activities producing emotional responses are bad (music, dancing, a finely crafted beer, etc). That's slightly off topic though.

But the question I asked was not about the good/bad of emotions but rather this:

I don't recall ever being taught about God giving emotions over to God's control.

If we don't allow the Holy Spirit control, we often suffer or cause suffering by our lack of it.

Self-control is the fruit of the Spirit and is a mark of a Christian.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

2 Peter 1:5-9
But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

goykodesh
Nov 13th 2009, 06:51 PM

It depends on the motivation. If it's all about exhorting oneself, it is not steadfast, nor profitable to the Kingdom of God.

Gregg
Nov 13th 2009, 06:52 PM
Have you ever been so jacked up or excited about anything that it was almost impossible to sit still, or get the words out to describe the event or feeling? For me, I think of that as on fire. When applied to God/Jesus, it is the same. I just can't seem to get enough and I just can't seem to pass it on fast enough.

God bless you and yours.

goykodesh
Nov 13th 2009, 06:54 PM
Have you ever been so jacked up or excited about anything that it was almost impossible to sit still, or get the words out to describe the event or feeling?

Yes, once was at a Pink Floyd concert. Emotions are not a good discerner of truth.

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 06:58 PM
Have you ever been so jacked up or excited about anything that it was almost impossible to sit still, or get the words out to describe the event or feeling? For me, I think of that as on fire. When applied to God/Jesus, it is the same. I just can't seem to get enough and I just can't seem to pass it on fast enough.

God bless you and yours.

Exactly!
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Floatingaxe/hallelujahicon98.gif

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 06:59 PM
It depends on the motivation. If it's all about exhorting oneself, it is not steadfast, nor profitable to the Kingdom of God.

What do you mean "exhorting oneself"?

God is the source, and the Holy Spirit is our motivator.

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 07:03 PM
If we don't allow the Holy Spirit control, we often suffer or cause suffering by our lack of it.

Self-control is the fruit of the Spirit and is a mark of a Christian.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

2 Peter 1:5-9
But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

See this is where I get confused. First statement is about holy spirit control. The second statement is about self control.

HisLeast
Nov 13th 2009, 07:05 PM

Not that I can recall, no.

As for God, I am motivated to righteousness (doesn't feel like anything though). I am motivated to serious, disciplined reasoning of the scriptures, but that doesn't feel like anything either. I'm motivated to present the best defense of the gospel that I can, but that too doesn't feel like anything.

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 07:09 PM
The Holy Spirit in a person motivates us.

Personally, I want to be more like David in exuberant worship of God--that kind of zeal translates from worship to whatever we set our hands to in honour of God and His call on us. It is important to stir ourselves up to be excited about the wonderful things he has done for us and for the things he has called us to.

Too often we show the world a sober profile, when God desires us to be joyous and reveal His love and power in our victories!

John 15:11
I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!

goykodesh
Nov 13th 2009, 07:15 PM
What do you mean "exhorting oneself"?

God is the source, and the Holy Spirit is our motivator.

In my past experience, I knew many who wanted to get, and did get an 'emotional high' from a religious setting. I will tell you a story. I am a musician and have performed in many worship bands and many secular bands. From my observations, the emotional response is always, always the same in both settings.

Emotional highs are not steadfast, and emotions are fleeting. True joy is always present, whether bored at home watching your niece or singing praises to God. At least for me anyway....

I don't think it's right to put our demands on the Soverign of the Universe for an emotional high.

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 07:20 PM
In my past experience, I knew many who wanted to get, and did get an 'emotional high' from a religious setting. I will tell you a story. I am a musician and have performed in many worship bands and many secular bands. From my observations, the emotional response is always, always the same in both settings.

Emotional highs are not steadfast, and emotions are fleeting. True joy is always present, whether bored at home watching your niece or singing praises to God. At least for me anyway....

I don't think it's right to put our demands on the Soverign of the Universe for an emotional high.

We are created to be emotional and to worship God with our emotions too. We aren't meant to live life on a constant high of emotions, either. There is a place for emotional fervor and worship is an appropriate place.

It is a joy to worship God in song and with music and dance. He is blessed by it and He is present in it. Of course we will feel a spiritual "high"! It's good!

We don't demand it--He freely gives it.

goykodesh
Nov 13th 2009, 07:24 PM
We are created to be emotional and to worship God with our emotions too. We aren't meant to live life on a constant high of emotions, either. There is a place for emotional fervor and worship is an appropriate place.

It is a joy to worship God in song and with music and dance. He is blessed by it and He is present in it. Of course we will feel a spiritual "high"! It's good!

We don't demand it--He freely gives it.

Don't get me wrong, I have deep emotions when I think about the LORD, some profoundly sad to the point I weep bitterly (when I read about His rejection), others very happy.

Desperaux
Nov 13th 2009, 07:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have deep emotions when I think about the LORD, some profoundly sad to the point I weep bitterly (when I read about His rejection), others very happy.

Great! I won't take you the wrong way, then!

ThyWordIsTruth
Nov 14th 2009, 04:56 AM
What does that mean?

The only people who will be on fire are those who are condemned. :lol:

It's not a biblical term.

HisLeast
Nov 14th 2009, 05:26 AM
The only people who will be on fire are those who are condemned. :lol:

It's not a biblical term.

The plot thickens!

Desperaux
Nov 14th 2009, 07:06 AM
See this is where I get confused. First statement is about holy spirit control. The second statement is about self control.

You can't have proper self-control without the Holy Spirit's control.

My heart's Desire
Nov 14th 2009, 05:15 PM
It really isn't in the bible. Totally a manmade statement.

VerticalReality
Nov 14th 2009, 05:56 PM
It really isn't in the bible. Totally a manmade statement.

Is that a problem?

My heart's Desire
Nov 14th 2009, 09:04 PM
Is that a problem?
Shouldn't be Unless it tries to describe something that is unbiblical. I see it as a total zeal for God.

Something someone said once really struck a chord with me though about the fire of God with a verse about a consuming fire.
What does the consuming fire of God do? It totally burns stuff up.
If the fire of God came down it would consume whatever it touches.

HisLeast
Nov 15th 2009, 02:36 AM
You can't have proper self-control without the Holy Spirit's control.

There is ZERO "self" control if another intellect is controlling.

chad
Nov 15th 2009, 03:45 AM
"On fire for God" - It could possibly be an expression describing 'an excitement and hunger for the things of God in a persons life, born by the Holy Spirit.'

What does that mean?

Christ Warrior
Nov 15th 2009, 03:53 AM
What does that mean?

I think it means to be zealous.

texastig
Nov 15th 2009, 04:24 AM
What do you mean? Like you don't attend a church service on a regular basis?

I do attend home churches.
Thanks,
TT

Desperaux
Nov 15th 2009, 09:13 AM
There is ZERO "self" control if another intellect is controlling.

The Holy Spirit is the one we need to yield to. If we don't, then we are the ones who are controlling things and that isn't how God wants us to live. We are to use our new God-given self-control, which is the fruit of the Spirit.

He alone needs to be on the throne of our lives.

HisLeast
Nov 15th 2009, 05:28 PM
The Holy Spirit is the one we need to yield to. If we don't, then we are the ones who are controlling things and that isn't how God wants us to live. We are to use our new God-given self-control, which is the fruit of the Spirit.

He alone needs to be on the throne of our lives.

Don't you see the dichotomy between SELF CONTROL and being controlled by another entity? They are entirely mutually exclusive.

VerticalReality
Nov 15th 2009, 06:37 PM
Don't you see the dichotomy between SELF CONTROL and being controlled by another entity? They are entirely mutually exclusive.

Not if we are one with Him in spirit (1 Corinthians 6:17).

Desperaux
Nov 15th 2009, 08:51 PM

No they are not. We are created to be indwelt by the Holy Spirit and a byproduct of that is the correctly functioning self-control. As I said before it is the fruit of the Spirit, and we are supposed to be exercising it and developing it.

Twin2
Nov 15th 2009, 08:53 PM
What does that mean?

zeal, hunger, thirst...

What are you passionate about? We are not supposed to settle into Christianity and do nothing. We should be excited, wanting more, wanting to share the Lord with others. Serving the Lord should be our life, not something we tuck in our pocket to keep to ourselves.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77